Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
- Diversity means the presence of a difference in any given situation. There can be diversity in ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation etc.
- Inclusion is about people with different identities being made to feel welcome.
A good example of diversity and inclusion:
- Diversity is being asked to the party.
- Inclusion is being asked to dance.
Another term that should be included in any discussion about ‘diversity’ and ‘inclusion’ is ‘equity.’
- Equity ensures that everyone is given equal opportunities to grow and showcase their skills and talents. Equity acknowledges that barriers and advantages exist in each person’s life and as a result, not everyone starts from the same place. Equity aims to correct this imbalance.
Why Am I Not Included?
I feel like an outsider,
Acceptance is just a myth.
Society’s the light that tempts,
I’m the moth that can’t get in.
I yearn to feel included,
To contribute to the cause.
But the barriers that block my way
Just make me stop and pause.
They say, “We’re all one people,
Our values are the same.”
Hypocrites will say these things,
But their actions are to blame.
Diversity’s the common goal,
But inclusion is the key.
It’s all just smoke and mirrors,
Don’t believe what you can’t see.
This club, you see, is quite diverse
And anyone can join,
But I am treated like a freak.
There are two sides to a coin.
Rules are broken, words are cheap,
Laws bent by privileged few.
I just want equal treatment
For the likes of me and you.
I have the drive, knowledge, and skill
To be anything I choose.
Being treated like a leper
Is the worst form of abuse.
Don’t break the laws, just bend them,
Stand up for equal rights.
Keep breaking down the barriers,
In the end, we’ll win the fight.
by John Hansen 2021
For more works by this author see John Hansen author page on The Creative Exiles.
You can also find great works by John on HubPages.
- Truth or Lies? ~ the Sonnet - February 6, 2021
- Why Am I Not Included? A Poem About Diversity and Inclusion - January 5, 2021
- A COVID-19 Christmas - December 18, 2020