Daffodil Remembrance of Brother

Daffodil Remembrance of Brother …

daffodil remembrance

It was a rainy and dismal evening when we drove into the parking lot of the convalescent hospital. Our long drive from Reno, Nevada to Tacoma, Washington had been fraught with sorrow and silence. Early that morning we received a call that our eldest brother did not have much longer to live. My mother, youngest brother, eldest sister, and I left as soon as we got word from eldest brother’s daughter.

When we parked I looked out the window at the rain which had turned to a light mist. I felt like a host of angels were crying with us. I opened the door to get out and the first thing I saw was a group of daffodils, shining a bright yellow under the glow of a street light. I knew at that moment my brother’s soul had departed.
~

Daffodil Remembrance of Brother

Beautiful daffodils lifted my spirit,
and told me brother is now at peace,
he is free from suffering, free from pain,
the path of a new journey has opened
for him, may he find again the joy
and love he had with his beloved,
for she still loves him.

Brother dear, your four daughters have grown so beautiful,
you did well with them, for they are fine,
wonderful women who stood by you in life
and were with you at your last moment of breath,
we are so proud of them,
they love you dearly, as we all do.

Your departing is great sorrow
for me, yet the daffodils
tell me all is now well for you,
and some day we will be together again,
all of us,
with all the love we shared in this life
and for eternity we will know this great love.

Every spring when I see those bright
yellow groups of daffodils,
I smile and give thanks for
having you as my brother,
the daffodil remembrance lifts my spirit
and warms my heart and soul.
~~~~

© 2019 Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Chief Editor at The Creative Exiles
I have always liked to write.It is important to me that writing comes from my heart and soul. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.
Phyllis Doyle Burns

Latest posts by Phyllis Doyle Burns (see all)

Phyllis Doyle Burns

I have always liked to write. It is important to me that writing comes from my heart and soul. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.

8 thoughts on “Daffodil Remembrance of Brother

• April 23, 2019 at 9:42 AM

Lovely tribute to a lost one. It is nice that you remember him with such beautiful imagery as daffodils. Lovely piece Phyllis.

• April 23, 2019 at 12:54 PM

Paul, thank you so much for those kind words. I always feel good when you are here and love to hear from you. Take care dear friend.

• April 24, 2019 at 12:23 PM

This is such a wonderful and heartfelt tribute for your brother. You know he is ever by your side and looking out for you. Wonderful imagery of the daffodiles.

• April 24, 2019 at 12:37 PM

Rasma, thank you so much. Yes, brother is ever by my side. He has always been my hero and guardian. I did not know if I could make it through the devastation of his leaving us until I saw the daffodils – I believe the daffodils were a message of strength and courage from brother.

• April 27, 2019 at 8:12 AM

How deep feelings of love you have expressed. You have a strong heart dear Phyllis. Our dear ones always live in our hearts. Your writing reminds me of

Holy Sonnets: Death, be not proud
      BY JOHN DONNE

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
      Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
      For those whom thou think’st thou dost overthrow
      Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
      From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
      Much pleasure; then from thee much more must flow,
      And soonest our best men with thee do go,
      Rest of their bones, and soul’s delivery.
      Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
      And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
      And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
      And better than thy stroke; why swell’st thou then?
      One short sleep past, we wake eternally
      And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.
      (Note: I’ve posted in the reply thread because ‘post Comment’ thread gives error message.)

• April 27, 2019 at 11:07 AM

Thank you dear Yasmin for such a heart warming comment. Thank you also for sharing John Donne’s beautiful poem. I love it!

(I will let Ralph know about the error message.)