Is There No-One Listening?

Is There No-One Listening?
Is There No-One Listening?

Though words emanate from my mouth,
spinning and thrashing about,
where they fall is anyone’s guess,
I, aspiring less and less to care,
for truth may fall on deaf ears,
ears that wish not to know,
and no matter the words espoused,
they have nowhere to go.

Holding attention is a mean task,
and for those who would listen,
most agree they do not want to change,
to rearrange their lives for the better,
for that would be a weighted responsibility,
a practice of futility,
when the comfort of denial
is far more acceptable.

So we writers and poets aspire to write,
to inspire with words of truth,
to give hope to allow one to cope
with the many burdens in life,
but it seems our sacrifice of time and heart
is placated by a reader resistance,
a stubborn refusal to change, take a different view
to make life better and evolve.

So if I write inane prose,
without content and in pretty floral words,
I’ll be a hit, an agreed champion of the masses,
a poet of great esteem and readership,
as I am understood, brandishing imagery
of love’s address and floral beds and mist,
all that make me sick to my stomach,
as it is regurgitated a million-fold.

I cannot lower my own standards,
but the readership cannot raise theirs higher,
and so we are in a mire, a great divide
between what is written and what is read:
what is light and understood
and what is heavy and dreaded,
for all the new words implicated
in learning just to understand.

What a bind, within which I stand,
where only a few may understand,
and me not able to dumb down my work,
just for the sake of a few more readers,
and who would want them,
with no aspirations to learn, to better understand,
and we the voices so keen to share,
and help in life’s grand plan.

Tony DeLorger © 2018

Tony DeLorger
Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

4 thoughts on “Is There No-One Listening?

• July 21, 2018 at 3:35 AM

We cannot be less than we are. If we dumb down to please others, then what is the sense of writing? We have a higher purpose than that. Take care dear poet and never dumb down. x

• July 21, 2018 at 4:29 AM

I will never, but it does strike me as strange how success is rarely a measure of talent or skill, rather finding a niche that is acceptable. Never been my intention to make money, but as a writer sometimes its frustrating to not grow an audience and to stagnate because of it. Our struggle is really in our own minds. That is the truth of it. Take care Phyllis.

• July 21, 2018 at 10:21 PM

I understand where you are coming from totally, Tony. For a long while I was frustrated writing poetry on HubPages as poetry and short fiction always seemed to be rated lesser than other types of writing. The forums constantly urged for us to take our writing elsewhere as it brought down the popularity of the site as creative writing didn’t rate highly with Google and most readers were looking for “how to” articles, “recipes” etc. Things have changed slightly there with the introduction of niche site like “Letterpile” specifically for creative writing.
    It grieves me to think poetry may never improve in popularity, as once upon a time things must have been different with the likes of Poe, Shelley, Browning, Byron etc. I long for a return of poetry to be seen as popular literature once again.
    I find I can write a much more effective and appealing story through verse than I can using prose. Fewer words are needed to tell the tale effectively and in a much more pleasing and satisfying way.
    Readers today, especially on the Internet are a fickle bunch and society seems to have conditioned them to require everything to be easy to read and understand. This is to the detriment of poets who like to dabble and experiment with alternative and rarely used words to inspire themselves and continually grow in the use of vocabulary.
    The fact that poetry is often shorter than stories and articles should encourage busy and impatient people to read it as a means of recreation and enjoyment…but, how do we make them see that? How do we get more readers to a site such as this…I don’t know. We all take pride in what we write and want people to see it, enjoy it, learn from it.
    We just need to persist and in the end, hopefully, things will change.

• July 21, 2018 at 10:28 PM

All so true John, yes I guess we all suffer this fate and hopefully in the long term people may embrace poetry more. I too love the genre and will not forsake my purpose in writing it. I must say that the site numbers are seemingly improving. Just a feeling. Hope we can get more people here, cause its a great platform. Take care mate!