How Quick It Is Over

Quick

How Quick It Is Over is meant to be a long winded reminder of our creative nobility and the obligation we have toward others. My mom loved a phrase “cut to the quick”. And if you did this to one of our dogs you would see just how quick it is over. Not comparing people to dogs but on the same hand it is how we treat those less privileged than ourselves that determines the true worth of our lives

Today I found happiness
The same day I found loneliness
And the same day I found hopelessness
And then I found it more or less
And then it was up to a guess
I found my God even me to bless
And so I must confess
All my problems lay in jest
But that does not finish the test
It does not provide for rest
Very little time to address
For still we must try our best
So much we must try to process
Never say I suffered duress
I did it all in Noblesse Oblige

In editing and publishing this I was told that the article was too quick. Or did they say short. Anyway it brought me back to my opening remarks and being cut to the quick as writers often are through rejection of their work.
But then I realized that I should read my own stuff. Here I go all high and mighty talking about obligation to do good. Yet I chomp at the bit when the process makes me try to do better. Can I be an ironic idiot hypocrite? Could it be that I do feel so privileged that I am above the rules? Probably good for me to take it down a notch and follow the rules that make it better for others.

Latest posts by Eric Dierker (see all)

19 thoughts on “How Quick It Is Over

• September 3, 2017 at 4:32 PM

Eric, it is good to see your first post, which is a great one. It has good messages and is well penned. Welcome to TCE.

• September 4, 2017 at 8:20 AM

Thank you Phyllis. Your encouragement and support while I was giving this a go is really appreciated.

• September 3, 2017 at 5:07 PM

Hello, Eric my friend. Great to see you finally write you first post for us at The Creative Exiles. You always manage to make me smile, and glad to see you even learnt a valuable lesson in the writing of this 🙂
    Seriously, I don’t really like following rules either but we do it unconsciously in almost every aspect of our lives…like crossing the street in appropriate places like crossings and on a walk sign etc.

Even here we have to have a few to try and maintain some sort of standard, and I know you aren’t going to have much trouble getting used to them either 🙂

Good to have you here, and I loved the message in this. Well done.

• September 4, 2017 at 8:23 AM

Thanks John, your comment reminds me of a favorite quote from one of our Great Americans, Lincoln; “The greatest freedom is obedience to the law”.

• September 3, 2017 at 5:58 PM

Great read Eric and welcome to TCE – it is a wonderful place to explore and be creative.

• September 4, 2017 at 8:24 AM

Thank you Kurt. I think you are right and look forward to hanging out with some of my favorite authors.

• September 3, 2017 at 8:45 PM

Welcome to TCE my friend, and hope you enjoy exploring your creativity. well done.

• September 4, 2017 at 8:27 AM

Tony there is a great book called the War of Art. The theme is that that which you resist doing is what you should do. I really do not like new things. But I sure am glad to be writing in such a wonderful new venue. Thank you for your warm welcome.

• September 3, 2017 at 9:13 PM

I feel Like I’m in line, but I’ll go ahead no say it too, “welcome to TCE.”
    If you any assistance, please feel free to reach out. Thanks for joining our merry band of exiles.

• September 4, 2017 at 8:29 AM

Thank you RJ — I think a “merry band of exiles” is just the medicine I need.

• September 5, 2017 at 10:15 AM

There is this wonderful notion in Sanskrit which refers to your friends that practice meditation and yoga together — Sangha. We can do on our own but the energy together just bumps it up a notch or 10. Truly creative writing is sharing your soul.

• September 7, 2017 at 7:49 AM

I may be at the bottom of the welcome chain Eric but a hearty welcome indeed to this “Merry band of creative exiles, so named” I think Robin would be proud to let us be poets in his band of merry. Your message is creative, how we express them to the world we share is entirely up to us. Your standards are very articulate to me, keep sharing, let your pen flow, dip it constantly into your deep well of thoughts to express as you see fit, for flight they will take and caress us as we sort through them with kindness, heart and feelings. Welcome my friend.

• September 7, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Thank you Vincent. That is a very nice welcome indeed. I get that peaceful easy feeling here.

• September 7, 2017 at 10:30 PM

I guess I’ll be the caboose of the list in saying welcome to THE and we all look forward to may more of your creative works. Glad to have you along for the ride.

• September 7, 2017 at 10:31 PM

TCE oh boy. Damn auto correct on phone

• September 8, 2017 at 8:05 AM

Paul my phone is 8 years old and I still do not know how to use it. I do know it does not have room for any apps anymore.
    Thanks for your support. I actually got to ride in a caboose of a steam powered logging train. Not just a touristy thing but a real work horse. so I love cabooses. Hmm I reckon you just gave me a short embellished idea for a short.

• May 12, 2019 at 4:40 PM

oh, the heck with rules I say follow your heart. I guess that’s easy for me to say though.