Touch the Sky

Keegan- Photo by Kurt James

Touch the sky – The problem of life is that we grow up and sometimes we forget the things that made us – well us. When we were little all we can think about is doing adult things. Being little we didn’t know about the stress of life, of family, relationships, love, hate, money, and jobs. We wonder what’s to come and look ahead to what will/should be.

Growing up is never easy. For some people when they become adults, it is too late, they forget the childlike wonder of a full moon or a sunrise and even how we use to touch the sky. They forget the sounds of the river when you spend a lazy Saturday tubing or the sounds that a trout makes when it splashes in the water after capturing a fly floating on top.

When we are little it is the small things that made us happy and somewhere along the path of life most forget that. And some when we become adults often times we treat children as inferiors. But think about it – most children have happiness. We should always try to look at the world through a child eyes and try and not lose the inner child that see’s the world with wonder. We must forgive ourselves for growing up and keep your eyes and mind looking back on those days when we – touched the sky.

This poem is about one of those childlike wonders and what my friends and I called touching the sky. I hope it takes you back and makes you think of what it was like to be 2 – 8 years old again for a second or two; I hope it makes you smile.

There was nothing more wondrous and peaceful than swinging in a swing when you were little.

Keegan – Photo by Kurt James

Touch The Sky
A swing, only thing between the ground and I,
When I was little, I touched the sky.
Childhood fears took a step back when I would swing,
Faster and faster until the wind and the air would sing.
Lost in my thoughts I could swing forever,
Sky and back in my playful endeavor.
Touching the clouds it was peaceful and free,
As I swung back and forth from that old oak tree.
I was invincible arched in the air as if I had wings,
Nothing in my life now can compare to those old swings.
By Kurt James

Where to purchase Kurt James novels:

Kurt James © 2017
Kurt James Novels available on Amazon

Kurt James
Latest posts by Kurt James (see all)
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Kurt James

Kurt James was born and raised in the foothills of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Kurt’s family roots were from western Kansas and having lived in South Dakota for 20 years, Kurt naturally had become an old western and nature enthusiast. Over the years Kurt has become one of Colorado’s prominent nature photographers through his brand name of Midnight Wind Photography. The Denver Post, PM Magazine, and 9NEWS in Denver, Colorado featured his poetry. Kurt is also a feature writer for HubPages and Creative Exiles with the article’s focused on Colorado history, ghost towns, outlaws, and poetry. Inspired at a young age by writers such as Jack London, Louis L’Amour, and Max Brand have formed Kurt’s natural ability as a storyteller. Kurt has published 16 books all based in and around the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Using the Midnight Wind Publishing brand, Kurt James novels, short stories, reference books, and poetry, are available in print or download on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, and other fine bookstores. And a few shady bookstores as well. Kurt has 3 books that he is currently writing. The 8th book in his Rocky Mountain Series - Raphael Eye for an Eye. His third ghost town reference book, Kansas Ghost Towns, Hauntings, Treasure Tales, and Other BS. And a western/horror novel - Devil’s Tower Spirit of Chiha Tanka. Kurt is a proud member of Western Writers of America.

12 thoughts on “Touch the Sky

• August 28, 2017 at 4:28 PM

Kurt you have a beautiful granddaughter. I too have one and I cherish every visit I have with her. Remembering how much I loved to swing on swings you brought me back in time. I spent hours at the park playing on monkey bars, slides. Merry-go-round and swings. Use to go so high and then jump off to see how far we could land. Cherish your precious time together my friend as time flies and before you know it children are adults and they to are grasping for memories too when they swung high reaching the sky on their swing. Bravo nicely penned.

• August 28, 2017 at 4:47 PM

Yes they do grow fast Vincent. Is it just me or does life seem to speed up as we grow older? As for the memoires – do you remember go so high in the swing that one leg of the swing set pops out of the ground? I am glad that you stopped by and left your wonderful comment. Take care my friend.

• August 28, 2017 at 6:49 PM

Oh, for those beautiful days of childhood when we touched the sky. Swings were always somewhere around and my siblings and I made good use of them. Then to watch my children swing so high “that one leg of the swing set pops out of the ground.” Yes, I remember that. Thank you for this wonderful piece of nostalgia, Kurt. I enjoyed it so much.

• August 28, 2017 at 11:54 PM

Glad I was able to take you back to your wonder years Phyllis, even though it was just for a second or two. Thanks for stopping by.

• August 28, 2017 at 10:36 PM

Yes, so uncomplicated when we were kids and a swing the greatest thing ever. If only we can keep a little of that child we were, life does look far better. Nicely penned and evocative write. Cheers!

• August 28, 2017 at 11:56 PM

Thanks Tony. I wish the world had never have lost their childhood innocence, of course that is just a dream on my part. Thanks for stopping.

• August 29, 2017 at 9:14 AM

You have such a gift for conjuring up those amazing memories from our childhood periods. It’s as if I can almost fly just thinking about it…..swinging along without a care

• August 29, 2017 at 6:26 PM

Thanks Ralph – that compliment from you is a day maker for sure.

• August 29, 2017 at 12:31 PM

Beautiful poem and your granddaughter is lucky to have you as her granddad. Yes, I can remember swinging and the leg popping up from the swing set. But some memories are not so grand, in the 4th grade I fell out of the swing at school and spent time in the hospital. Luv ya Cuz!

• August 29, 2017 at 6:28 PM

LOL, fell out of the swing or maybe you were pushed by an older brother maybe.. Thanks Donnis, this means a lot to me that you took time out of your busy day to write this. Of course you rock cousin, but I think you have always known that I felt that way about you. Love to the moon and back.

• August 30, 2017 at 1:40 PM

Tell me it wasn’t a great adrenaline rush when you jumped off the swings and landed on your feet for the first time? I loved it. Always had a swing in my yard, from childhood to now my children. It’s such an uplifting experience. Nice piece Kurt.

• August 30, 2017 at 6:33 PM

It was a rush the first time, and always a rush when the one leg would pop – out… lol… Thanks for stopping Paul