My Beast, the Cat

My Beast, the Cat...an elegant sleeper
My Beast, the Cat…an elegant sleeper

He purrs with soft and delicate breath,
the sound like the comfort of a warm breeze,
and his tail still as his mind on adventures afar,
lands and hunts removed from domestic life.

Like a ball of fleece, all wound,
his legs tucked neatly within,
with tiger-like striations that mark of his ancestry,
and his proud lion face my most precious adoration.

He of my pride, me of his,
we lay as one on a quilted plush bed,
the rise and fall of breath in time to life’s beating,
and deep this sleep, his paws upon my hands.

Entwined in comfort, a place of belonging,
we share life with conviction, loyalty,
and he means to me more than any friend,
for his unconditional love is clear.

His conversation is active and bold,
demands made for all his needs,
yet for this my sacrifice,
he gives far more in return.

My Beast is my companion, my dearest friend,
and for all his conversation and dissent,
he will always make amends, as guilt he feels,
when moods take him on away paths.

And in the end he is mine, my connection,
and we are inseparable, as one,
because he chooses me and no-one else
to be that one gift in life, a forever friend.

Tony DeLorger © 2017

TCE GAZETTE

Tony DeLorger
Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

8 thoughts on “My Beast, the Cat

• August 5, 2017 at 10:17 PM

Oh, Tony – this is so sweet and loving. It seems as if I know Beast, and I guess so, through you. You write about him with such vivid imagery that it is possible to see him in your words. Such blessed joy and love you have for each other. Forever Friends. Thank you for sharing a little about the world of Beast.

• August 5, 2017 at 10:20 PM

Glad you enjoyed it Phyllis; he is at my feet as we speak, my loyal little friend. Take care

• August 6, 2017 at 3:11 AM

Awwe! I know about these beasts because I have two of them! Such a cute picture of him, too. I could just squeeeeeeze him!

• August 6, 2017 at 3:18 AM

He’s very snugly and so soft his fur its like rabbit fur. He’s a beautiful boy, my companion and best friend. Thanks Tamara.

• August 6, 2017 at 6:50 AM

You and I another think in common, not only do we love cats but shared identical ones. Although my Toby is no longer with me, I’m about to purchase yet another from the Humane Society here. I’m looking for his identical brother or sister. I too had a Tabby, identical to yours. He was the love of my life, a friend indeed, spontaneous love and play, sitting on me, near me, on my bed sleeping beside me. A constant companion and smart as a whip Tabby, loyal to the fault. He is still well, living with a young couple on their 5 acre lot, he does go outdoors though, chasing field mice here and about I’m told. So he is living the good life, but I miss him still. I’m happy that you have the Beast to keep you grounded my friend. The Tabby cat is a very smart one indeed.

• August 6, 2017 at 8:28 AM

Isn’t that funny, we even have similar cats. I find them so smart and adorable, and my particular cat is very laid back and easy going, no temper, just a cuddly affectionate cat and as yours, loyal. Glad you related Vincent, not that you ever wouldn’t lol. We do share many aspects of life and that’s why we relate so well with each others thought. Thank you my friend and take care.

• August 6, 2017 at 1:43 PM

Most delightful poetry. My Sid is such an independent cat that at times he can overwhelm and at the same time be loving and sweet.

• August 6, 2017 at 7:22 PM

Yes, we cat people know them so well; they are people not pets and we learn to love them as our family. Cheers and have a great day Rasma.