Ghosts of Nevadaville, Colorado

Nevadaville, Colorado – photo by Kurt James

Nevadaville, Colorado has numerous tales of those that lived and died along the Rocky Mountain frontier. As a young boy I was fascinated by such tales of gold camps, ghost towns, Ute Indians, outlaws, miners, marshals, gamblers, and soiled doves that made those stories come alive to me. Even as a young boy I wanted to walk the trails, explore the mountains of those that walked these mountains of old before me.

Nevadaville, Colorado is one ghost town that I have spent plenty of time exploring since it was roughly 45 minutes from my boyhood home. Even to this day when I visit that lonely town on Bald Mountain I still feel the chills of the ghost’s that still reside there. Come with me – let’s take a stroll.

Nevadaville, Colorado – photo by Kurt James

“Nevadaville”

Nevadaville Colorado, empty buildings, silent streets,
Death knell that rang out in this town, now complete.

As I walk the boardwalk’s of Nevadaville today,
I feel ghostly eyes of yesteryear follow me from faded doorways.

When I close my eyes I can hear the sounds of so long ago,
Sounds of horses, spectral voices, mixed in with a distant banjo.

Stale whiskey, horse manure, sweat, and outhouse’s still in use,
All these phantom scents in this town are still on the loose.

I stop and wonder of the lives that had lived here,
Of folks long gone, dead and buried –which brings a tear.

Memories of those erased by the wind and the dust,
Hopes, dreams, a silent death, when the gold went bust.

Graves on Bald mountain, cemetery tombstones due west,
Those unfortunate souls who died giving it their best.

Now years later, nature tries to claim its right, its own,
Buildings, boardwalks degrade into the unknown.
Kurt James

Kurt James © 2017

Where to buy Kurt James novels and books:

Kurt James
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Kurt James

Kurt James was born and raised in the foothills of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. With family roots in western Kansas and having lived in South Dakota for 20 years Kurt naturally had become an old western and nature enthusiast. Over the years Kurt has become one of Colorado’s prominent nature photographer’s through his brand name of Midnight Wind Photography. His poetry has been featured in the Denver Post, PM Magazine and on 9NEWS in Denver, Colorado. Kurt is also a feature writer for HubPages and Creative Exiles with the article’s focused on Colorado history, ghost towns, outlaws, and poetry. Inspired at a young age by writers such as Jack London, Louis L’Amour and Max Brand have formed Kurt’s natural ability as a storyteller. Kurt has published 7 novels all based in and around the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Using the Midnight Wind Publishing brand Kurt has also released a poetry collection called the wandering man collection - Poetry and Thoughts of a Wandering Man - (Uniquely Colorado edition) and now this collection - Poetry and Reflections of a Wandering Man (Random Thoughts edition). Kurt has also published 3 historical reference books, and one humor book. All are available in print or download on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads and other fine bookstores. And a few shady bookstores as well. Kurt is working on his 9th Colorado adventure tale novel “Rocky Mountain Moonshiner”.

8 thoughts on “Ghosts of Nevadaville, Colorado

• August 31, 2017 at 10:44 PM

Ghost towns have so much of the past still lingering when one opens up to it. Nevadaville sounds like a great place to get in touch with the distant past. Your poem is great, Kurt. Thanks for sharing this special place.

• September 1, 2017 at 2:53 AM

I think you are like me Phyllis and have the ability to see, feel, and touch things that are from the past – if that makes any sense. Thanks for stopping by.

• September 1, 2017 at 7:50 AM

And so we fade back into the dust from which we came. I love ghost towns for their eerie nature. It is an extremely sad state as well. All those smells, all the rot and decay of the structure, it all becomes this eerie little structure, and for some reason I find it intriguing. Nice work Kurt.

• September 1, 2017 at 6:13 PM

Thanks Paul – ghost town and ghost tales have always been a favorite of mine. Not sure what that says about me…lol….

• September 8, 2017 at 7:21 AM

I’ve walked often in cemetery’s day and night and felt an overwhelming calmness, peace and sometimes a yearning to be among the dead, as Paul has cited, from dust we came and dust we return. The dust I would refer to is Atom stardust, our shells go back to the ground, but I truly believe our spirit and soul goes back into the great Universe to continue on another journey, to add to the many past lives we’ve traveled on. I would love to be by your side walking such places, ghost towns. To feel what you feel as you walk on the hollowed ground and sense the spirits in your soul. History is amazing to me, we all become a part of it in as we make our journey on earth, leaving behind our mark, whether good or bad. The saints are pleased if we live a good and holy life, but our destiny is set before we take our first breath, the all knowing dictates the course we take and are given., Your expressive verse of Nevadville was uplifting in remembrance of those who lived there. Well done my friend, keep penning and matching it with your amazing eye for detail. That photo is beautiful, the colors the moon, the shadows, I love it.

Lasting dust and rot wraps, like tentacles around rust,
    Nevadaville, it’s history and tenants reside there
    as remnants from it’s historical past.

Bravo Kurt, your work and tales of ghost towns are always beautifully penned. Kudos.

• September 10, 2017 at 12:14 PM

You are more than welcomed to “walk by my side”. I would love to show you Vincent what I see, what I hear, and what is left not explained in the Rocky Mountains I call home. Some of what I see, hear, and feel in these lost mountain towns seems so real that it is difficult top stay focused on the now. Maybe I am different, because others I know that have walked beside me are oblivious to the remembrances of long ago.