Collage

A collage of situations

collage of situations

Somewhere,

in an unfortunate corner of the world

lying forsaken by nature’s merciful gestures,

where dried up rivers and barren lands

morph as dark clouds of death hovering above lives,

and human apparitions with protruded bones, sunken eyes and empty stomachs

keep begging for a drop of water or a scrap of food,

as they try to wade through the menacing darkness of the night

even if light is nowhere near in sight.

Somewhere,

in the kitchen of a dimly lit home

aromas of spices waft through the chimney,

bringing an entire family together in anticipation

of sharing a humble supper cooked with love,

which is their only reward for a day’s grueling work

and it reflects as satisfaction in plates licked clean,

as they welcome sleep with prayers of gratitude

and shards of hope lighting up their dreams.

Somewhere,

elegant foods adorn ornate tables

where the privileged few who have the luxury of choice,

keep piling variety of delicacies on their plates

to sample and then to nonchalantly discard,

those which don’t suit their preferences

which are then thrown to overflowing trash bags.

Somewhere,

a farmer who fights daily battles with his land

watches the image of rats having a feast in the dumpsters,

and mourns the days of labor so mindlessly scorned

without an ounce of consideration for the effort involved,

as he wipes away tears of sheer helplessness,

for himself and a land that responded to his sweat.

©2017 Anjana Vipin E

Anjana

I am a postgraduate in the field of biotechnology. I always had a profound appreciation for all forms of creative writing and I have been writing poetry in writers network for two years. At present, I am residing in Rutherford, New Jersey. Thank you so much for visiting my page and I would be delighted to have your valuable feedback.

Latest posts by Anjana (see all)

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Anjana

10 thoughts on “Collage

• January 8, 2017 at 8:38 PM

Poignantly penned as to the inequity of life on earth. Our circumstances are neither chosen nor denied and we awaken into lives of many extremes. We should all be thankful for what we have in life, to whatever degree, for there are many who suffer the pangs of hunger and thirst or even cruel oppression or war. That is the nature of humanity, the struggle that we are in on many levels of existence. A stark and relevant piece Anjana, of inequity and the often harsh realities of living for many. Great work

• January 9, 2017 at 4:50 AM

Thank you so much dear Tony…I am delighted that you think it is relevant and I am always grateful for your kind words and encouragement..

• January 8, 2017 at 11:14 PM

Wonderful work, Anjana, of the levels of humanity from the most bereft to the most fortunate. And then the plight of the farmer is heartbreaking. It behooves us to be aware of those less fortunate and ones dying from starvation. Even if we do have much we need to be grateful for what we do have. Your well penned poem is a wake up call for those who cannot see beyond their own daily life. Well done.

• January 9, 2017 at 4:52 AM

Thank you so much Phyllis..I am so glad you liked this and I truly appreciate your kind words and support..

• January 9, 2017 at 12:42 PM

I loved this my dear Anjana. The levels shown in your brilliant passage how in the upper echelon of society the blatant disregard for someone’s blood and sweat on a daily basis, to the appreciations of a family having that meal and being able to spend their precious time with the ones they love, to the helpless manner in which people unfortunate in life to poor can’t even get a scrap. This collage you have painted for us speaks volumes in its measure of society. Excellent work my friend. ~Paul

• January 9, 2017 at 6:53 PM

Thank you so much my dear friend for your presence and your kind words..I am so glad you liked this effort and you have said in your comment everything I wished to convey through my poem..I am always most grateful for your support Paul..

• January 9, 2017 at 1:22 PM

The brilliance of Your pen gets brighter and brighter in each new work, and You never fail to amaze me with Your great sense and taIent, I espcially like the repeating of the word (Somewhere), along with Your title it gave Your poem more strength, superb dearest Anjana.

• January 9, 2017 at 6:55 PM

Thank you my dearest Gh…always a pleasure to have to have your words on my page and I am so glad you think my writing is getting better..and as always, I truly value your support and friendship..

• January 10, 2017 at 7:37 AM

How wonderfully written, comparing the inequality and different aspects of life through our need for food. Great work Anjana. This would be one of my favorite works at TCE so far. Great work.

• January 10, 2017 at 12:40 PM

I am truly humbled by your kind words dear John ..I am delighted that you liked this effort and I am always grateful for your support and encouragement..