Song of Chatter

Newborn inspirationĀ …

Song of Chatter
Song of Chatter

SONG OF CHATTER

Changing clouds of black birds flying

By my window as I write,

Tempting me to keep on spying;

Every night my eyes are prying

Till they’re lost in dying light.

Held in trance while they’re performing

I forget my former muse.

Thoughts are smothered while they’re swarming,

While they’re endlessly transforming

On the beat of random cues.

When the jackdaws merge together

They incite a stronger tale.

As if with their song of chatter

They award, before they scatter,

A new story to unveil.

Gazing upon their formation

Empties what was on my mind.

But with every deprivation

Hatches newborn inspiration,

By dynamics wings designed.

Since their daily interference

Cultivates a higher theme,

With its liquefied coherence,

Is their punctual appearance

By me held in high esteem.

Jerry Corstens

Latest posts by Jerry Corstens (see all)
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Jerry Corstens

Writer of inspirational poetry & original wisdom quotes. I've been writing poetry for over 30 years, both in Dutch and English. You can find more of my work on my blog / website www.thegoldenmirror.net and on various social media sites related to it.

10 thoughts on “Song of Chatter

• September 30, 2016 at 5:39 AM

Love the rhythm here. As I read I could picture the blackbirds flying through the skies. Enjoyed this.

• October 3, 2016 at 3:59 AM

Thank you, Rasma. Putting rhythm in my work is something I love to do. šŸ˜‰

• September 30, 2016 at 6:41 AM

Very vivid image in your poem, Jerry. I love to watch the blackbirds when they gather out by my patio. And they do chatter a lot. I enjoyed reading your lively and well penned poem.

• September 30, 2016 at 2:34 PM

Great to see a new post from you Jerry – amazing description and word usage (we’d certainly love to see more of your work if you have the time to post it!)

• October 3, 2016 at 4:02 AM

Yes. Thank you R J. Time is not always on my side when it comes to posting poems, but I took the time this time to schedule some for the coming month. So, a few more are coming.

• October 1, 2016 at 12:01 AM

I enjoyed that Jerry, some nice imagery and phrasing. However when your lines create rhythm, the extra line works against it. The scheme you use is 12112 and if there was no rhythm it wouldn’t matter. Instead the second 1 line clogs up the movement and the verse feels awkward. If you remove the 2nd 1 line it becomes 1212 and flows smoothly. With rhythm its important that syllables be counted to accomplish the flow of movement. Words then take on a different meaning and task. Just an old poets penny’s worth, my friend. Nice to see you back on line. Cheers!

• October 3, 2016 at 4:10 AM

Thank you for your remark, Tony. I normally stick to a AABB or ABAB scheme, but sometimes I like to experiment. This was one of those experiments. And I have to say, I’m very proud of it.

The syllable count it this is 87887. It may take some time to get used to it, but I myself love the flow of the poem as it is. I hope you’ll give it another try šŸ˜‰

• October 1, 2016 at 6:07 AM

Great poem, Jerry. Great imagery and I understand what Tony is saying, but I love this rhyme scheme…reminds me of Poe.