Painted Dreams -The American Mustang

Mustangs were on their way …

dreams

I sat with  Henry at the  edge of the rocky  lip on the mesa
waiting  in the dark hours before dawn
I wondered was it going to be worth it to come
would this take very long

Though I was simply a boy at heart and an
Indian by adoption
I knew by then enough to listen to my elder
that was the only option

And as the light from the east began to paint the sky
I heard and felt a rumbling in the dry earth
The mustangs were on their way it would
be a day of much worth

They arose with a dusty cloud and within
quick moments they’d all but taken the sky
I had never seen anything like it
nor considered  what or why

The Mustangs  are about to be slaughtered
the reports of gunfire will fill the air
The painted horse of the western plains
But does America even care ?
———————————————

The BLM  had recently said that  upwards of fifty thousand  wild Mustangs
needed to be “put down ” because they are over grazing
American western grass  lands  , because they are apparently in competition for the PUBLICLY OWNED lands rented for ten cents an acre by  corporate  ranchers
and their  profitability of raising beef  cattle ?

Speak Up Now ,

Call your congressman [woman ]!

Latest posts by EdF (see all)
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

EdF

Sometime in my life, I started to write about my life journey, in poetry, in story perhaps to sort them out and enter them into a place of safekeeping. The soul of the writer is perhaps best described in their words, emotions and thoughts. If these poems or stories touch something inside you then maybe I have succeeded in sharing. I will not write about my self in profile, because self isn't so important in writing. Only the journey in words and the sharing are important. Why would we say "Now about me!"... I'd rather write about life, nature, serenity ...

8 thoughts on “Painted Dreams -The American Mustang

• September 20, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Ed, this is a subject close to my heart. We love our wild horses out here in Nevada and often drive around looking for them, just to sit in the car and watch. I keep in touch with the AAWHP and sign their petitions. It does not do much good, for our beloved wild horses are disappearing out here in the west.

Very well-penned and well stated verse, Ed. Thank you.

• September 20, 2016 at 5:25 PM

Phyllis , Thank you , yes , I’ve been watching the latest BLM mischievous , The supreme courts? …..just said no to them so that’s great , I love the idea of being able to look for them , I’m planning a Pryor Mountains Mustangs trip for next year . …………Good to hear from you !

• September 21, 2016 at 1:21 AM

Emotively written Ed of the plight of the mustangs. These beautiful animals need to be treasured not put down. We have had the same circumstance here in the mountains of Victoria and those proud horses, generations going right back to our beginnings. Very well penned and stated.

• September 21, 2016 at 4:06 AM

Thanks for sharing, Ed. As Tony said this is also an issue in Australia with the Government considering culling the Snowy Mountain brumbies due to overpopulation.

• September 21, 2016 at 4:47 AM

Tony , thank you , yes , I wonder sometimes if we as humanity aren’t crowding out the animals , maybe culling humanity would be better !………..:-}

• September 21, 2016 at 4:49 AM

Hello John , “The man from snowy river” my all time favorite horse movie ! We need to awaken to our own faults in humanity ! Thank you for all you do !

• September 21, 2016 at 5:13 PM

Very well penned. Great poetic statement in favor of the wild mustangs. I love horses wild or not so it touches my heart to think of them being killed.

• September 22, 2016 at 1:56 PM

I heard about this and still cannot believe it. How could anyone do such a thing?
    We have beautiful Mustangs descendant from one Christopher Columbus brought over and I worry so much over those too.
    Death should not be the answer for anything.
    A subject very well done.