Spirit Meets Destiny

When Spirit meets

Destiny a life is born,    Spirit
a life that follows joyously or forlorn.

Life times of learning, waiting to be told which way to go.

Is this to be the one when I meet him and know?

So many journeys I will be apart from the one I long for, who is always in my heart.

From birth to death and death to birth,
I will walk where you say upon Mother Earth.

Each death, not a death, but a new beginning
of learning more, loving more, giving and winning.

On each road that I have traveled
there were new lessons learned, old problems unraveled.

Born with a clean soul, fresh and pure,
I was ready for whatever I must endure.

As wife of a sea captain on a ship of doom,
storm of Destiny takes us from life too soon.
Three little babes, between us cling tightly.
The sea takes us, as the storm rages mightily.

Pueblo Indian woman, young and strong, so in love,
respects all of Nature, and the stars above.
She sits on the edge of the canyon and prays,
as she follows Hawk with her wondrous gaze.
Puma stalks her and creeps ever near.
A sudden attack and two lives fall in fear.
An army officer cries when he knows she is gone,
his life, his wife, to him she belonged.

A Celtic warrior she loved so dear,
was lost in battle, yet stayed ever so near.
In spirit they walked together the rest of her life.
No other could claim her to be a wife.

Lost amid terror, earth shaking fear, panicked crowd,
no one heard her screams even though loud.
Alone she was, born to peasants who had died.
Alone her life ended and no one cried.

Little girl, knew nothing but joy, imaginary play, and love,
lost to illness, taken by Angels from above.

These and more are the lives I had, the path you gave.
I followed each one as you directed, e’en to my grave.

Now I travel my own path, my own journey is long.
I will follow my heart and sing my own song.

You will taste the darkness, the cold, the fire.
Yes, and this love of mine transcends all earthly desire.

Just follow me, Spirit, I will make it easy for you.
But, my heart is set on love so true.
I have followed faithfully, the way of you, Destiny,
yet I will tweak it here and there for all eternity.

Now I travel my own path, my journey is long.
I will follow my heart and sing my own song.

Spirit you must follow the way that is shown.
Not this time, Des, for my life is my own.
~ ~ ~

© Copyright 2016 All Rights Reserved Phyllis Doyle Burns

Note from author ~

About this poem: Many lives has this Spirit known. Each one planned by Destiny. In this life on Mother Earth, she has her own song to sing, her own path to follow, and chooses to follow her heart.

What do you think? Can Destiny be tweaked or even if we can tweak it, is that Destiny?

Thank you for reading my poem. The Creative Exiles is my haven for poetry and short stories and I so appreciate your visit.

Blessings and may you always walk in Peace and Harmony, softly upon Mother Earth.

Phyllis Doyle Burns – Lantern Carrier, Spiritual Mentor

~ ~ ~ ~

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Latest posts by Phyllis Doyle Burns (see all)
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Phyllis Doyle Burns

I have always liked to write. It is important to me that writing comes from my heart and soul. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. I began writing content online in 2007, starting with BellaOnline - A Voice For Women, where I was the Native American Editor, Folklore & Mythology Editor, and the Appalachian Editor. I also wrote articles for The Examiner, Daily Two Cents, and Yahoo. I am a freelance writer for Fiverr. I am currently an author on HubPages, a member/author of the Maven Coalition, and Senior Editor and an author for The Creative Exiles. Most of what I write takes a lot of research and I love it. Even if it is a fictional story, I will research for accuracy in whatever it takes to make my characters, their era, their location, etc. become realistic to the reader. I hope you enjoy my works. Thank you for visiting.

15 thoughts on “Spirit Meets Destiny

• July 14, 2016 at 1:52 AM

And so the eternal path of ascension, life after life, and each time, hopefully, a higher consciousness to raise our lowly physical body to higher planes of existence as we become one with life itself. Nicely penned and heartfelt work Phyllis.

• July 14, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Phyllis, you my friend have such a kind and loving soul and that always shows in everything I’ve seen you do ! Everything ! I am spending a few afternoons these days with a dying nephew of fifty two , He is just so inspirational , a Christian , a friendly personality , a gentle spirit with a wife and two special children . I small man with a giant heart ! And when I make him smile , I feel his incredible love . This writing of yours is a beautiful reminder of that brief ,frail condition of life , loss and the human spirit . Thank you for your timely gift !

• July 14, 2016 at 5:18 PM

You are most welcome, Ed. Thank you for the lovely compliment. I am so happy this verse conveys that message to your heart. Through you I sense the beauty of your nephew’s spirit. To have you with him must be very peaceful for him. You are a loving, kind soul, too, dear friend. You and your nephew are a gift to each other. Sending love, energy and prayer for strength.

• July 15, 2016 at 12:24 PM

Beautiful Phyllis…I always feel a glow emanating from your work, this is really quite remarkable and fills me with a unique sense of peace. In all of my own personal struggles, I have still always admired those you hold the light within, and stay intuned and strong in their own journey . You are one of those. Very well done. 🙂

Best,
    Mel

• July 15, 2016 at 1:36 PM

Mel, I am very humbled by your comment. It is not easy for one to remain in tune and strong in their journey, but I try to maintain that in my life. To know that it emanates a glow to others through my work is a blessing to me. Thank you so very much. I am so glad this verse fills you with a “unique sense of peace”. I am honored by your words. Thanks again.

• July 15, 2016 at 2:34 PM

You are very welcome, my pleasure.

• August 11, 2016 at 6:37 AM

My Mom had a difficult life, but was an amazing soul. This reminded me of her and I thank you for that. She use to tell me all the time that I was an “old soul” and I never knew what she meant. As I have grown older I have started to grasp her meaning as one “old soul” recognizes another. That may sound vague to some, but I get the feeling you know what I mean. Thank you for the inspiration Phyllis.

• August 11, 2016 at 11:36 AM

I definitely know what you mean, Kurt. You are an old soul, your Mother was right. She must have been a wonderful lady – I am glad this verse reminded you of her and you are most welcome. It is very gratifying to know my writing is meaningful and inspiring for others. Be at peace knowing you are an old soul and embrace that gift, for as you become more comfortable with it some amazing things will come to you. Listen to the voice of your soul. Thank you so much for reading and commenting, Kurt, I appreciate it.

• September 17, 2016 at 5:17 PM

I love how you brought in Native American and Celtic belief into your examinations. Brilliantly penned. Jamie