Rewinding

Long ago replay

Woke up this morning feeling a need to remember fun day’s of yesteryear

When a kids only worry was finding enough money to go see their favorite matinee idol

And shed happy love-sick tears

Dancing with my girlfriends at our swinging hang-out, we fondly called the shack

Wooah! Lights flashing

Brings a happy memory attack

Going to ball games, riding the trusty old yellow school bus

Telling jokes, playing trivia

Bus driver warning, ” Settle down, I ain’t gonna have no fuss ”

Screaming and yelling for our team we so proudly called the Mt. Carmel Aces

Winning the state championship

Traveling to distant towns, seeing so many happy faces

Finding puppy love for the very first time

Walking hand-in-hand oblivious to grown-up worry

Or the occasional reported crime

Swimming all day long at our home-town public pool

Wearing my first two-piece bathing suit

And feeling oh so cool

Fishing in the Wabash river, bike riding in the sand

Going to my first concert

Jerry Lee Lewis playing his piano with his rockabilly band

Aha those were the good old days

Happy memories my psyche returns to

When I want to rewind for a long ago replay.

Latest posts by Ruby Fuller (see all)
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Ruby Fuller

I am a retired R. N. who loves to write poetry and fiction. I have just found recently that I love to write flash fiction with a twist. I write on hub pages.com. under the name of always exploring- AKA Ruby Fuller.

6 thoughts on “Rewinding

• June 30, 2016 at 3:57 PM

Oh Ruby those were the days for sure. I was the Fonz type, James Dean. Lone rider but sure liked to rock around the clock and slick my brylcreamed hair back with my back pocket comb. While pulling a fag from my rolled up tee shirt pack of cigarettes. Reving my Hathey with my Hot girlfriend holding tight to my black leathers. I bet you loved it too. Grear poem Ruby. Brought back some fun memories for sure.

• June 30, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Hello Vincent. Those were the days. A time of innocence and happiness. You sound like one of my friends with your bike and slicked down hair. In this turbulent time with mass killings, I find I need to go back to a time when all was good. Thanks for reading and adding fun input. Cheers my friend….

• June 30, 2016 at 7:45 PM

Wonderful memories of those precious years where everything was new and worry was something your parents did. Nicely warm and emotive Ruby, in remembering the golden years of youth. Well done.

• July 1, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Hello Tony. Yes, it was a time when all we thought about was having a good time. I worry about the kids today, many live in fear with Isis striking so haphazardly around the world. I love your ” golden years of youth. ” comment. Thank you. Cheers..

• July 18, 2016 at 3:31 PM

A lovely reminiscent piece Ruby, it took me back to some carefree times of my own. There has always been trouble in the world, but now it is disturbingly unique, as we are all exposed as it happens with technology and media feeding on that ability. I have a twenty year old and now a four year old, it’s very different even in their gap of time, and I am so concerned, as you.

Thank you for bringing back the memories that we would like to have for the children of today. Well done.

Best,
    Mel

• July 19, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Hello Mel. That was a time in the 50’s when everything was calm, cool and collected. All we thought about was school and having a good time. I feel deeply for the young people today. They live in fear and are surrounded by anger and hate. The political arena is enough to cause one to hibernate! lol. Thank you so much…