Help for new members is our concern and commitment.
POSTING HELP FOR NEW MEMBERS
Step-by-step instructions to help you get started on posting.
(Please save a copy of these instructions for easy reference)
From your profile page or the Dashboard:
In the left pane click on Posts then click on Add New.
The Add New Post page will open.
In the right pane, choose your main category: Fiction or Poetry, then choose a sub-category.
Enter your title. Tip: Think very carefully about your title. It should be at least 39 characters, but
does not have to be. The first word in your title, or the entire title, should be your focus keyword.
That keyword or key phrase should be repeated within your poem or story (at least twice for a 300
word post, four or five times for a 600 word post.)
Below the tool bar is the blank edit box. Click at the beginning of the box. Copy and paste your post
in that box (or, you can type your post directly into the box).
Carefully check your spelling and punctuation. Miss-spelled words will be underlined in red.
Right click and choose correct spelling.
In the right pane, add your tags. You can have up to six tags, no more. Two-word tags are okay.
Add image. Every post must have a Featured Image. ALL IMAGES MUST BE AT LEAST 200 x 200
SIZE. To add an image, place your cursor where you want the image to appear and click. Go up to
the tool bar and click on Add Media if you want your own image (you must provide attribution
and the link) or Pixabay (no attribution required). When you choose your image an edit box will
open. Choose the alignment and size you want. Enter your keyword (or phrase) in the boxes on the
right, Title, Alt Text, and Description. The Caption can be left blank or you can add the caption
you want to appear under your image in the post. Click on ‘set as featured image’ then click on
‘insert in post’.
Check your post to make sure the image is where you wanted it. If the image is to be at the top it
should be a horizontal (wider than it is tall). This option is in the Pixabay image edit box. A
vertical image can be used if it is to be placed to the left or right of your text.
Before publishing your post, consider using the Yoast SEO tool below your post. This is optional. If
you choose to use Yoast, the aim is to get as many green dots as possible by reading the warning tips
displayed and following the directions for each warning. If you choose not to use Yoast, then go to the
Publish: If everything in your post looks right, click on the Publish button in right pane in the top
box and wait till the post refreshes. It will go blank, but do not worry, you have not lost it, it will
come back and when it does you can leave the post by going to the top of your screen and click on
Yoast SEO – this is an optional tool for writers
We use the Yoast SEO plugin which is a valuable tool if used properly. Yoast is what will help your
post rank well in Google and other search engines.
If you choose to not use it, that is okay, for the Mentor Team (editors) will take care of that part for
you. It is the responsibility of the Mentor Team to make sure each post will rank well in search
When you create a post, Yoast automatically assigns one of four colored dots to rank your post. You
will see how your post ranked by looking at the little traffic light in the top left of the Yoast SEO
box below your post. (Red is Bad, Green is Good, Orange is OK).
Just to the right of the traffic light is the Content status and a colored dot will reflect what is on
the traffic light. If there is a dark grey dot it means you forgot to add a focus keyword. If you publish
a post with a dark grey dot, it will not rank in search engines at all.
If your post has a red, orange or dark grey dot, a Mentor (editor) will edit the Yoast box to assure your post
is at least OK. Sometimes just one or two minor fixes of the warning tips will make your post jump to green.
If you need any help with posting issues, do not hesitate to contact us.
Thank you for being a part of The Creative Exiles. We highly appreciate our writers.
Who to contact for problems or questions:
- Technical Issues: Post in the Technical Issues forum for help from John or Ralph on any technical problem
- Policies, Requirements, Rules: John Hansen
- Yoast SEO Help: John Hansen, Phyllis Doyle Burns, or Jackie Lynnley
- Username or Password Issues: Phyllis Doyle Burns
- Forum Issues: John Hansen
- Setting Up Profile: John Hansen or Phyllis Doyle Burns
- Gravatar Help: Post in the Technical Issues forum or go to https://en.gravatar.com/site/login or http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Gravatar
- To post in a forum click on new topic for the forum you want to post in. Please make sure you post in the correct forum based on what your topic is.
- Please post in the ‘Introduce Yourself’ forum thread. (‘Private’ simply means for members only. Our forums are not for public use or view.)
- The main forum is the place to discuss the joys and challenges of creative writing, and give and receive help and support from fellow authors.
- Have a topic to talk about that is not related to writing? Post a new topic in the ‘Off Piste’ (Off Topic or Off Track) forum. The TCE forums are for discussions about writing. If you want to talk about anything else, please don’t clutter the main forum – this is the place to go off track!
- Have a technical problem? Such as images not showing up, blank post, any problem concerning errors with your post other than Yoast SEO, then please post in the Technical Issues forum for help from John or Ralph.
The Creative Exiles (TCE) Policies for all members:
- All posts, including articles and forums, must be in English.
- No duplicate content is allowed on TCE even if it is your own content on another site.
- TCE is not to be used as a platform for religion or politics. It is okay to write a poem or fiction story that is inspirational, but not preaching to or converting others.
- Respect for others is always top priority. We have a great community. Supporting and helping each other is so important to keep our community a place of enjoyment for all.
- Facebook Group: A fun place for chatting and getting acquainted with TCE members. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1148071321894433/
If you are not already a member of the group, contact John Hansen to add you to the group.
- Site is for Poetry and Fiction only.
- Please do not write a lengthy introduction. Readers should not have to wade through a long intro to find your poem or story. A very short intro is okay, a short author’s note at the end of your post is preferable.
- Read Essential Rules for more information.
Meet our Staff:
CEO and Founder: John Hansen
Technicians: John Hansen, RJ Schwartz (SEO, Plugins)
Ads / Monetizing: John Hansen
Mentors: John Hansen, Phyllis Doyle Burns, Jackie Lynnley
New Members: Please read all pages under Resources For Authors.
~ ~ ~ ~