So Far Away

So Far Away. Sometimes I need to go to the timberline high to get my head on straight. Get my thoughts into some sort of order. The clear and crisp Rocky Mountain air does wonders for my mind and the thoughts that are buried deep within. It is here among the evergreens and aspens that I feel at home, feel free to write my stories, my thoughts, and my poems. In the old days, it was a pad of paper and a pen. Nowadays, it is a Kindle with a keypad that captures all that wanders through my mind. Most times, having a creative mind causes one to think too much, to explore thoughts that should be better left unsaid. My thoughts at these altitudes are like a stream that flows from the mountain tops. I try to control it, change its course, dam it up, and failing in doing so. The thoughts, like the stream, find a different avenue to flow. Sometimes I am at peace with where they wander, sometimes I am not. Here is a sample of what my mind perceived today.
So Far Away
I keep dreaming you will be with me,
Circumstances force me to wait and see.
I miss you more than you will ever know.
Seems time, distance, fate is the forever foe.
Busy times, it seems I always have to wait.
In this time, in this place, am I too late?
All I ask is just one breath, just one chance,
For you and me to have a forever dance.
You have been so far away for far too long,
My heart aches. I have loved you all along.
Keep dreaming you’ll be with me, and you’ll never go,
What has to happen to make that dream ever so?
Need you to hold me and never let me go,
So far away, sometimes I just don’t know.
No matter what happens, I am so in love with you,
In my dreams, you and I would forever be – two.

Kurt James
Latest posts by Kurt James (see all)
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

Kurt James

Kurt James was born and raised in the foothills of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. With family roots in western Kansas and having lived in South Dakota for 20 years Kurt naturally had become an old western and nature enthusiast. Over the years Kurt has become one of Colorado’s prominent nature photographer’s through his brand name of Midnight Wind Photography. His poetry has been featured in the Denver Post, PM Magazine and on 9NEWS in Denver, Colorado. Kurt is also a feature writer for HubPages and Creative Exiles with the article’s focused on Colorado history, ghost towns, outlaws, and poetry. Inspired at a young age by writers such as Jack London, Louis L’Amour and Max Brand have formed Kurt’s natural ability as a storyteller. Kurt has published 7 novels all based in and around the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Using the Midnight Wind Publishing brand Kurt has also released a poetry collection called the wandering man collection - Poetry and Thoughts of a Wandering Man - (Uniquely Colorado edition) and now this collection - Poetry and Reflections of a Wandering Man (Random Thoughts edition). Kurt has also published 3 historical reference books, and one humor book. All are available in print or download on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads and other fine bookstores. And a few shady bookstores as well. Kurt is working on his 9th Colorado adventure tale novel “Rocky Mountain Moonshiner”.

16 thoughts on “So Far Away

• March 19, 2022 at 10:08 PM

A lovely and very romantic poem, Kurt. I like your introduction, the way you share your thoughts. Very nicely done.

• March 20, 2022 at 8:09 AM

Thanks, Phyllis, for you kind and caring comment on this piece. I hope all is well with you and yours.

• March 21, 2022 at 12:05 PM

All is well here, thank you, Kurt. I meant to tell you that the lady you write this poem for is very fortunate indeed. You often write poems that I would write to the one I wish was in my life. We must have a soul kin connection. Take care – hope all is well with you and yours.

• March 24, 2022 at 6:54 AM

Phyllis, pretty sure we have that soul kin connection. Once again thank you for being you.

• March 24, 2022 at 7:42 PM

Very beautiful poem, Kurt. I truly enjoyed reading it.

Especially these lines are so touching: My heart aches…. So far away, sometimes I just don’t know.

Very beautifully expressed. Thank you so much for sharing.

Blessings to you!!

• March 24, 2022 at 3:54 AM

Beautiful romantic poetry with the sadness of not knowing what will happen.

• March 24, 2022 at 6:55 AM

Ann, thank you for your comment on this piece. It is much appreciated by me.

• March 25, 2022 at 11:55 AM

Thank you, Ann for stopping by and leaving a comment. Much appreciated.

• March 24, 2022 at 7:15 PM

Such touching and beautiful words, Kurt. Nature helps clear our minds, and has a way of bringing all our emotions to the surface.

• March 25, 2022 at 11:56 AM

Woohoo John – thanks for stopping by with your kind words.

• March 25, 2022 at 9:20 AM

Excellent work Kurt. Lovely thoughts put to the task. Heres to hoping those dreams can fashion themselves into reality. Your words can speak and hold a special meaning for everyone. Nice work

• March 25, 2022 at 11:57 AM

Thanks Paul, hope all is well in your neck of the woods with you and yours!

• March 28, 2022 at 8:16 PM

We are getting by. I hope you are doing well as well.

• March 25, 2022 at 11:56 AM

Misbah Sheikh, thank you for your comment on this piece…

• March 28, 2022 at 7:22 AM

Well done Kurt! Beautiful poetry and the introduction had me shaking my head because I was there with you. Jamie

• March 28, 2022 at 6:26 PM

Thanks for stopping by Jamie, I appreciate your comment and insight.