Those we owe in prose, I think

Those we owe in prose …

those we owe in prose

Those we owe in prose …

A Teacher, A Mentor, A Coach, A Preacher and A Parent

Oh what haughty positions they all hold
A burden too great for most us to behold
Not of life these folks of a certain focus
But most important our lives for most of us

Let them struggle to make us the best we can be
Never so strong, do not look at me
How do they do it so well day in and out
Without them growth seems to be in doubt

The struggles they must ultimately face
To help us find our meaningful place
Not upon the chimes music by the wind
We are not alone when we they send

Memories and lessons taught of so well
So we are ready and worthy come the bell
For sure we answer as taught to do
All right to venture into troubles often blue

What would we be without the list above?
Would we even be free to love?
Take out on that is just fine
But keep the ones you consider “mine”

Maybe not the lessons so well taught
Perhaps that is that we sought
But their loving kindness that they did show
Is the best lesson that we could ever know

Wow, I was penning this out and realized I have been all of them. As I reflected I began to conclude that I have not done such a very good job at any of them yet those who I mentored have turned out great, or so it seems. So it came to pass I reflected on this for a few days. Yep and for sure I did not do so well. Perhaps I would have been an abject failure.

The only talent in any of these that I can possibly excel at is to do it in love. “Read the word dearly but pronunciate with volume and clearly”. “Hold the brush just so to paint a straight line”. “Approach the ball differently than your intentions so as to confuse the opponent”. “A narrow path is fine in our spiritual but we must make room for others on it for their journey also”. “Only one who has walked in my shoes can tell me how to walk in my shoes”.
Such platitudes. Some spewed back to me 40 years later. Seems to me now such is meaningless lest spread in love.

Latest posts by Eric Dierker (see all)

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

7 thoughts on “Those we owe in prose, I think

• July 5, 2019 at 10:45 PM

Whatever we do, it is wise to do it in love. As Tony has often said, and I often use his phrase, “love is the core of life”. Well done, Eric.

• July 6, 2019 at 4:41 AM

We all have many roles in life and those whom we touch, hopefully, are better for it. Love has always been the reason, the purpose and the answer to most of our problems. Well done Eric, enjoyed the expression.

• July 6, 2019 at 8:07 AM

Thank you Tony and Phyllis. I figured a bit ago that I could write well if I did it in love. What amazed me was that it actually applied to my “other life” technical writing.

• July 7, 2019 at 8:34 AM

This is wonderful. Thank you Eric. How someones whole life can be changed by a simple conversation with “those we owe” amazes me and has driven many of my life choices. On the writing side of things, I have found that simply writing everyday in my creative spot (my Lazyboy with coffee) has helped not only my writing but my communication and organization skills also. Amazing things happen when we write! May you have a Sunday filled with wonder. Jamie

• July 9, 2019 at 8:10 AM

Jamie, I truly appreciate your words. I just stopped to wonder where I would be without writing and reading. I need some time in the nature with pad and paper. So second nature to us I figure. You take the time to write out a message to me and you lifted my day to a new level. I will pass it on. Took me a while to get back here, but today I needed your words. It all works out.
      Eric

• July 8, 2019 at 9:49 PM

Good to see you spreading your wisdom on these pages as well Eric. Your writing always gives me cause to reflect and your poetry is developing and improving at an amazing rate. well done my friend, we all need to do everything in love.

• July 9, 2019 at 8:15 AM

John you reminded me of an episode. My elder son insisted on swapping phones. I hate that but we actually have a better match now. So I could not make the camera work. So from my office I yell “Gabriel get in here, I can’t do this”. Very calmly he comes in and says “I will show you how but dad you know we do not do the “C” word. You can and I will help you.” That 9 year old boy teacher of mine can ruin a good hissy fit.
    That carries over to you helping me to write poetry. We do not use the “C” word.