As Gods Allow

As Gods Allow
As Gods Allow

Flayed from a torturous ploy
the flesh of mind falls to disarray,
revelation’s cusp over abyss and lust
confers in determination,
of a tenuous soul bereft of certainty
or some modicum of destination.

Gods chatter in idle conflict,
disavowed of righteous paths,
seeing not what the clouds impart,
as burgeoning ecliptic storms,
when minds are sewn with trepidation,
and human hearts are sworn.

An ethos lays in wait,
a decision Gods cannot abate,
for all its weight on humankind,
the storms far worse in retribution
for careless, godless acts of spite,
perpetrated against themselves.

What shall be, a throw of dice,
to rectify this human plight,
or do Gods too chaste to consider
the paltry, squirming, driven lives
that speaks not of heart but flesh,
and blood the essence of souls adrift?
Tony DeLorger © 2019

Tony DeLorger

Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

6 thoughts on “As Gods Allow

• March 31, 2019 at 11:43 PM

Excellently written with phrasing reminding me of Homer and Socrates style writing. Well done, Tony, and a pleasure to read. Take care.

• April 1, 2019 at 1:41 AM

Thanks so much, Phyllis, so pleased you enjoyed it. Take care, my friend. x

• April 3, 2019 at 9:40 AM

Indeed the gods thus rumble stately in their realm, chins in hands disgusted with the human waste below them. Yet proud and righteous ever be their domain and overseers of human bondage, awaiting the right time to strike and bring us all to our knees. Beautifully penned my poetic friend, I hope life finds you well and that the scars on fingers equip you with notice that life is so delicate and born of dust to dust we shall return, but not until your mighty pen has had it’s quench of words that flow so generously from the gods through you. Peace and blessings I send to you this day Tony.

• April 3, 2019 at 6:11 PM

Thank you Vincent, you kind words always so welcomed. All is well here, my burned fingers have just a slightly darker tint, the only residual effect from the initial pain. Yes we are fragile and this little ‘accident’ was caused by my stubornness not accepting help and trying to do everything myself. Just another lesson in life. lol Hope you are well my friend. Take care.

• April 6, 2019 at 10:20 AM

Incredible verse Tony! This is up there on my favorites list. Always a pleasure to read though. I hope you are well. Jamie

• April 6, 2019 at 8:51 PM

Thanks, Jamie, pleased you enjoyed this one. All’s well here, writing for All Poetry.com and spending a lot of time with my music. Just setting up digital recording equipment to start writing music again. Hope all’s good with you. Take care, my friend.