Uncertainty

Uncertainty
Uncertainy

‘In poetry, much of our expression is based on personal experience, memories and feelings that have linguered in life and remind us of the lessons we have learned. In poetic expression these renderings are poignant, because they come from a place of truth, a resounding of what we have gone through and hopefully learned on our earthly journey. The expressions of the heart are palpable and often reach people on a deeper level. And in the end that is what we want as writers, to connect.’

Shallow, the waters I wade,
a half-mast flood of decay,
where fears and resistance gather
in opposition to my forward steps,
and as clouds gather in lament,
I must vent my woes, so not to add
to the weighted clothes I wear,
the despair those foes engender,
and so as I travail the shallows,
I remind myself of the treachery
my own heart in fear partakes.

I fight not my foe, for that foe is myself,
and I am split by loyalty,
what I know and what I feel is right,
ever the plight of my ruminations,
and as I wade through that viscous sludge,
I feel each doubt and smudge of opacity,
like flags of rallying support,
that in reality’s knell resorts a mind
to hopeless abandon,
and in this quandary, I live, forever
placating myself to rid the uncertainty.

Tony DeLorger © 2019

Tony DeLorger

Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

17 thoughts on “Uncertainty

• February 10, 2019 at 11:08 PM

Thus we come to this university of life to learn till we are certain of all truths within us. Masterful work here, Tony. Well done. Take care.

• February 10, 2019 at 11:49 PM

Much appreciated Phyllis, yes, we remain here, over and over until we learn, indeed. Take care.

• February 11, 2019 at 12:40 AM

Yes, Tony, we writers and poets always hope that we can pass on some of the wisdom or lessons we have observed and experienced from living our lives. It fills our poetry, sometimes cryptically, but for all to learn from. Life is full of uncertainty, however, and is a continual learning process for us all.

• February 11, 2019 at 1:36 AM

Glad you appreciated my thoughts John, hope you and your fam are well. Take care my friend.

• February 11, 2019 at 12:48 AM

Tony, may I quote your intro to this poem in the 2/21/19 newsletter? I had the theme content for the newsletter already researched and written yesterday – when I read “Uncertainty” I was very pleased with your intro, for it is related to the theme I chose featuring some pieces by Kahlil Gibran.

• February 11, 2019 at 1:37 AM

Of course Phyllis, you really don’t have to ask. Kahlil Gibran was one of my first steps into a chosen spiritual life. Take care dear friend.

• February 11, 2019 at 7:22 AM

Tony this is a very vivid reminder of how delicate and fragile life experiences are. From a writer/poets viewpoint, it often comes fast and furious from our pens. We recount our experiences and encounters with life as a whole, all it’s beauty, ugliness and warts. We attempt to decipher life itself, whether on a spiritual or purely secular level. I have found that as long as I’ve been able to share my thoughts, feelings, encounters and experiences on this plane in a spiritual way, I’ve found peace in my heart. When I allow my Muse to have it’s way, it can cast a dark shadow over many of the deeper cracks in my veneer. Life has been a struggle, yet I know we are here for a reason, a continual learning curve, how often we come back I would think is determined by the level of experiences we have gotten correct before we move forward to another plane, dimension. Well penned, I enjoyed this piece.

• February 11, 2019 at 5:52 PM

Appreciate your elegant rfesponse Vincent. So glad you enjoyed it. Life for me is about learning and I go out of my way to try to understand all that befalls me with a negative impact. These are the poignant lessons hard fought and at cost, we must learn. Hope you are well my friend. My Vegan lifestyle is great, I’ve lost 6kg so far and feeling emergized and motivated.

• February 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM

I’m well Tony, other than some minor navel hernia surgery, I’m resting up and healing, the small incision was painful for a few days, but now the swelling is going down and all is on the mend. I’m also happy to hear that your new eating lifestyle is suitable. I have been vegetarian/vegan for the past 3 years now and I can’t express enough how it’s improved my health in so many ways. I know that I will never go back to being a meat or dairy eater for the rest of my life and I’m good with that. So my friend welcome to the world of healthy eaters. There is a current movie on Netflix called, “Eating Animals” give it a look, its very interesting. Like others I have viewed. Forks over Knives and Cows-piracy two other great documentaries.

• February 12, 2019 at 4:37 PM

Funny you should mension a navel hernia, I have one too, but told not bad enough for surgery yet, but I assume at once stage it will. I think have a gut (lol) doesn’t help, but losing weight is slowly shrinking that. Rest up my friend. Talk soon Vincent.

• February 11, 2019 at 2:41 PM

Great writing Tony , Just once in a while I feel that something I have written might have been truly special , worthy of some higher calling . I fear that so little might be inspirational at times . ………but I’m rambling ! Nice job !

• February 11, 2019 at 5:55 PM

I know what you’re talking about, we are our harshest critic. What I always try to remember is that we are uniquely different from any other writer, special in our own way and trying to aspire to anything we are not, a waste of time. Instead I try to hone my craft in may way and not listen to those dark doubts and insecurities. Take care Ed.

• February 12, 2019 at 5:27 AM

Also with words of the heart on the opposing side are the tears of darkness and heartbreak that exude from the soul as well. I feel as though in the darkness, while I write I cleanse my soul. I know a few of our other writers here embrace that too. Memories and images from experience lend to powerful writings whether from the heart or while mending the heart as well. I think many of the writings here are prime examples. Excellent work as always my friend. Thoroughly enjoyed.

• February 12, 2019 at 4:34 PM

Thanks Paul, yes I agree writing is cathartic and healing for those past experiences that linger in our consciousness. Any piece written from the heart stands out as it connects on a deeper level. So pleased you enjoyed this piece. Take care my friend.

• February 14, 2019 at 6:36 PM

Nicely penned. I now believe that through every darkness that life throws my way there will be light shortly after. As life progresses and I emerge from they sorrow slowly but surely there are days when I have to count all my blessings just to be able to go on but there are some little joys in life along the way and then it is alright again.

• February 14, 2019 at 7:51 PM

Life is a process of learning, good times and bad times in circumstance offering the canvas that we paint with experience. Change is the catylist in progression and evolution. Glad you related Rasma. Take care.

• February 17, 2019 at 9:42 AM

Tony I always love to come across new poems of yours. You have truly honed your skill. I am impressed by the love your words convey. Jamie