Little Child in the Arms of an Angel

Little child in the arms of an angel …

little child
In the arms of an Angel

Little One, oh, so very young and precious,
you brought sunshine and happiness
to all who love you,
joy surrounded you everywhere,
for your beautiful smile
and sweetness was as a bright light
that made all around you glow
and filled all with a love so strong.

A little child left us today.

Hearts are broken, souls are crying,
mother and father are beyond sorrow,
the pain is far too deep to cope with,
shock and numbness have taken spirits down.

A little child left us today.

Little One, for just a few precious years
you gave so much joy to parents
who love you dearly,
may you find peace and comfort
in your heavenly home,
may your mother and father,
and all who love you,
begin healing when the numbness
has left and the pain continues on,
may they find the strength to go on
living without you with them,
may God give mother and father
the strength they will so need
in days, weeks, months,
and years to come.

Little One, may your spirit
grow ever stronger and beautiful,
and touch the hearts of your parents
to help them through this great sorrow.

All this I pray,
for a little child left us today.
~~~~

I wrote this poem for friends who lost their six year old son in a car accident.
On January 9, 2019, they were on their way home from spending Christmas with
family. The driver of a truck lost control of his vehicle and it struck the car
of the family of four. Mother, father and their baby girl survived the crash, but
their six year old son was killed. This great sorrow has touched so many hearts.

© 2019 Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Site Manager, Senior Editor at The Creative Exiles
I have always liked to write.It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.
Phyllis Doyle Burns

Latest posts by Phyllis Doyle Burns (see all)

Phyllis Doyle Burns

I have always liked to write. It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.

16 thoughts on “Little Child in the Arms of an Angel

• February 5, 2019 at 5:16 PM

So sorry Phyllis , I have a belief about these children that are lost to us here on earth ; They now live in a heaven beyond any of our possible understandings , Yes we miss them terribly but in truth they are never far away from us and at special times they come to us in spiritual ways .
    All we can do is be there for our friends in need .
    Awesome tribute Phyllis !

• February 5, 2019 at 9:05 PM

Ed, thank you so much for your kind words and understanding. Yes, you are right, those precious children are never far away from us and come to us spiritually at times. Thanks again, Ed. Take care.

• February 6, 2019 at 8:05 PM

I will pray for this family. That is such a tragedy. A most wonderful and heartfelt poem. I just know that little soul is still with his family.

• February 6, 2019 at 8:31 PM

Thank you, Rasma. Yes, his spirit is with his family. Thank you for your prayers, it is much appreciated.

• February 8, 2019 at 6:21 AM

So sorry to hear of this tragic event, Phyllis. It is so sad when we lose one so young. This was a lovely and fitting tribute. I hope the grieving parents have read this lovely poem.

• February 9, 2019 at 1:23 PM

So hard to talk about and hard for me to read. Your poem is beautiful and necessary to bring peace to some of the grief. But it is so hard for me to read I have a weak heart (metaphorically speaking). Jamie

• February 9, 2019 at 3:37 PM

Jamie, I understand it is hard to read, it was hard to write, yet I felt the need to connect to the precious child’s spirit. I could not publish it right away – it needed time to connect. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. Take care.

• February 10, 2019 at 3:14 PM

Wow, heart wrenching to say the least Phyllis. My heart goes out to everyone involved. Beautiful work.

• February 10, 2019 at 8:41 PM

So sad, the loss of a child. Your poem so emotional and heart-warming, Phyllis. A beautiful tribute to a life taken far too early. Lovely work. Take care,

• February 10, 2019 at 10:37 PM

Tony, I so appreciate your kindness and thoughtfulness. I know you relate to this, for you know the pain and sorrow of losing a child and that she is ever with you in spirit. Take care.

• February 11, 2019 at 10:53 AM

This is bittersweet. I lost my son on Jan. 17 to cancer. To lose a child at any age is so very tragic. The only way I can function is knowing he is with God and pain free.
    Phyllis I was unable to log in as an author today. I used my same user name and password as before. I wanted to write a poem using the 19 words you had on the post sent to HubPages. perhaps you can help me? Thank you. This was a beautiful piece, although sad..

• February 11, 2019 at 5:10 PM

Ruby, I am so very sorry to hear about your son. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for reading and commenting on my poem. Take care.

PS: I sent you a message regarding your password.

• February 15, 2019 at 7:07 AM

So sad and emotional Phyllis. Nice tribute. I tell you one of the worst things I’ve ever had to endure was going to the funeral of a baby. The little casket was one of the most heartbreaking things I think I’ve ever seen. No parent should outlive their kid.