Venomous Snake

Venomous Snake

His curly locks were blonde ,and his eyes

green the color of shining emeralds,

full of hope and precious futures,

yet stripped from graduation day

because first he had to make it safely

through bleached corridors and

the darkest hours of his high school years.

The drugs don’t work

She wanted to reach her sweet sixteen,

full of innocence and wanting, only to be

with her closest friends while cheering

for the high school team of handsome

princes so endearing to her dreams,

and standing tall on graduation day.

The drugs don’t work

The peer pressure of friendships badly

chosen led them to the dark side of

experimenting with elements of death,

yes death to their mind-body and souls.

You see drugs commenced to crawl,

like vipers slithering down the corridors

of higher learning,  spitting their

venomous poison into young lives,

while coiled under desks of teachers

teachings that.

The drugs don’t work

Teachers taught beware who goes

there, as seeds are grown sewn and

powders mixed and blended into

madness, while choking young lives

from these learned institutions,

plagued by gangs and pushers

who masquerade as students

concealing venomous snakes,

let loose down opium hallways

of America who cry.

The drugs don’t work

But leave our sons and daughters

reaching out for mercy, swallowed

up by hidden pride, they hide it from

us all their fears heaped upon their

souls by gangsters grip, who scourged

their classes, and put the knives to

throats and tell them not to squeal

or else.

The drugs don’t work

While slipping colored pills and buds

into their jeans, and schoolbag to

leave the stench of laws broken and

teachers preaching bad boy, bad girls.

now it’s time for expelling your dreams

for taking drugs and giving them to

others while the gangs keep feeding

and feasting in hooded darkened

shadows cast.

The drugs don’t work

So many young talented minds,

destroyed and left to die in school yards

and street corners, or holding cardboard

signs with burnt out minds, and lost hope

they crave the love of parents who tried

to save them from the venomous snakes

mighty squeeze, yet to no avail we lost

our kids we cry WHY.

The drugs don’t work

Such a crying shame of pity why a son,

or daughter is lost not listening and

pass the outer limits of control until

their hearts are seared liked a sizzling

steak on fired grills of burnt out lost

tomorrow’s and the hooded gang keep

feeding them ecstasy colored pills,

and tainted smoke, smeared with meth

to kill at random while parents weep,

and black roses are grown, thrown

and stomped on early graves.

The drugs don’t work

The children are gone

© Copyright Vincent Moore. All Rights Reserved.

Vincent Moore

Vincent Moore

He was born and raised in Montreal Canada among the Irish, Brits, Italians and French. Point St Charles (commonly called The Point) was the Hell’s kitchen of Montreal. He played, cried, laughed and fought on the street corners, survival was an instinct and watching each others back important. Vincent left home at 17 to find his way in the world, failure and success he had plenty of. He studied the Arts and loved to draw and paint. Took acting lessons and envied those on the stage under the bright lights and hoped to some day become an actor, writer, playwright or painter. Vincent welcomes you to his world of mystery, fantasy and solitude. You can find a few of his writings in one of 3 books he's published.In Absinthia- In Melancholia and In Passionata.
Vincent Moore

Latest posts by Vincent Moore (see all)

Vincent Moore

Vincent Moore pens his thoughts about many things and has a style all his own. Sometimes, he parties with words excessively and it becomes necessary to publish quickly lest his work be lost in the dark corners of his room or his mind. Vincent will lead you into mysterious worlds that are strange yet somehow familiar, worlds that will leave you unsettled and breathless for more. He was born and raised in Montreal Canada among the Irish, Brits, Italians and French. Point St Charles (commonly called The Point) was the Hell’s kitchen of Montreal. He played, cried, laughed and fought on the street corners, survival was an instinct and watching each others back important. Vincent left home at 17 to find his way in the world, failure and success he had plenty of. He studied the Arts and loved to draw and paint. Took acting lessons and envied those on the stage under the bright lights and hoped to some day become an actor, writer, playwright or painter. Vincent welcomes you to his world of mystery, fantasy and solitude. You can find a few of his writings in one of 3 books he's published. In Absinthia- In Melancholia and In Passionata.

9 thoughts on “Venomous Snake

• January 6, 2019 at 8:12 AM

Wow, is all I can say. You have touched on a subject that has destroyed so many that I have cared and loved in my life. As we grow up we and now our children and grandchildren have to make the choices that will affect our/their entire lives. Drugs are a curse that have doomed so many, yet some do recover from the addiction. This piece is thought provoking and the analogy is used to perfection my friend. You are my favorite poet Vincent and you never cease to amaze me of the work that you pen.

• January 6, 2019 at 9:07 AM

Thank you Vincent. I spent a large portion of my life living in the world you described above. I pray every day that my children do not have to live the nightmare. Jamie

• January 6, 2019 at 9:19 AM

Thank you both Kurt and Jamie for your support of my work here. I am replying to the both of you here. This work came about back in 2012 when my youngest son at the age of 15 was caught up in the school drug scene in his High School. I went to great lengths to meet not only with teachers but also the Superintendent of schools for that division to discuss the problem and the concerns I had with my own son’s addictions and pushing of drugs. The criminal elements entered the school and they hooked up the kids with their pimps and pushers, my son today is very thankful for intervening at the time and not only pulling him from that school, but cleaning him up in the process. I had many sleepless nights and even went so far as to enter a drug den he was in and pulled him from it with violence and threats directed at me from the den drugged members, but I got him out unscathed and put him in a clinic. Today he is a well rounded hard working carpenter, away from drugs and thankful every day that his Dad stepped in as I should have. So this work was created and penned from my feelings at the time. Appreciate both your comments.

• January 6, 2019 at 10:20 AM

A powerful message here, Vincent. I have seen so many teens destroyed by drugs and it is beyond sad. I once volunteered in a drug rehab and sat in counseling circles with teens and counselors. That was enlightening, rewarding, and at times sorrowful.

Great work, Vincent.

• January 6, 2019 at 11:39 AM

Thank you Phyllis and for your volunteering services to help with counselling those inflicted. It’s so sad to see the ruined lives out there from all kinds of dangerous drugs floating around out there. And those who think that marijuana isn’t a gateway to harder drugs their misguided, I know for a fact, I’ve seen it and know it is. Also for those who smoke, their heads become transient, it affects everything around them. I know a couple who keep the dirtiest house, things laying all over the place, dirty walls, dirty sinks etc etc etc. Why? because their both heavy weed smokers and their heads are always in the clouds, they lose interest in even the basic things of life such as LIVING…sad. If a weed smoker would only smoke now and then it wouldn’t be as bad, but too many smoke daily and often more than once a day.

• January 6, 2019 at 1:21 PM

Vincent , It sure IS a snake ! How many have to die or burn their minds free of anything resembling human intelligence ? It’s funny I just read this but as of this very morning I was thinking about how many kids from my school days are gone or severely burned out . Very intelligent kids no longer with us , Today in America it’s opioids , meth , heroin , I remember going to a party at sixteen or seventeen and watching in shock as a couple of very intelligent kids sniffed airplane glue in paper bags !

We are lucky my friend ! Kudos to you on tearing your son from that life !

• January 6, 2019 at 3:56 PM

Yes my friend, it’s very sad the amount of people in your country as well as ours that are dropping like flies due to the opioids, meth and heroin problems. Many intelligent people have been lost due to their addictions. Drugs alone are enough reason to get the dam wall built in your country, think of the billions of drug dollars that the lords are raking in, and all your President is asking is for a pittance of 5 billion to built walls in critical areas that need them. It’s a political mess, two parties acting like children, playing with lives and tax payers money. Congress is a joke, important issues like security should be uppermost of importance for American citizens. One way or the other that wall will get built I believe. Drugs KILL young and old they need to be stopped somehow. Peace my friend, thank you for your comment.

• January 7, 2019 at 1:34 PM

Amazing piece my friend. There is a whole world of mystery that these kids hide behind. Drugs is the gateway to so many bad outcomes. This was an excellent description of their trying times. Great work my friend.

• January 7, 2019 at 4:36 PM

Thank you Paul for your kind review. It’s a subject that irks me, I’ve seen the devastating affects and its sickens my heart to think these kids, adults were preyed upon all for MONEY. We live in a very dangerous world my friend, where it all ends, who really knows. To think young people starting out in life, their dreams torn apart due to the infestation of drugs introduced to their innocent world. Venomous indeed.