To Flourish

To Flourish
To Flourish

In many ways I do not understand the perceptions of poetry in today’s world. Having been so revered in the past poetry, from all accounts, seems lost from a commercial point of view. There is no money to be made yet the online communities for writing and poetry sites are huge, some singular sites accounting millions of readers and many writers. The quality of work of course varies greatly, with many novice writers and aspiring poets but with also seasoned writers and published authors.

Many sites have algorithms to compare your work with mainstream well-known works, compared by many variables of word usage, original phrasing and use of language, cliché and grammatical faults. The score on some are 1-10 and rate a work as to the variables addressed. What surprises me are the lack of information about genres. For example, I write much of the spiritual world, of nature and how the world works. The algorithm cannot address any of this because there is nothing to compare it with. Thus, words like ‘life, soul, spirit, enlightenment, realisation and many more like them, are considered weak words needing replacement. Should I follow their suggestions my work would be no longer.

So no matter the quality of my writing, I receive a score of 1 out of 10 for much of my expression. Conversely I have had many 10 scores too and remain in the top 200 of over a million writers. Go figure. It just proves that sticking to your style and being true to yourself is far more important that any algorithm. Poetry to me is a timeless creative expression and it’s a shame there are not more financial opportunities for committed poets. The following poem received a score of 1 out of ten.

To Flourish

In beds of coloured array
the blooms avert the flow
as nature’s gifts so special, radiate
from within they glow,
and trees in textured bark
with many a bow flailing,
pay homage to the vibrancy
of life’s design, prevailing.

And all in harmonious streams,
connected as if in afferent dreams,
each movement of energy
so profoundly sewn within
each and every being,
as shared life avails
supported and nurtured each,
a loving hand beseeched.

How magically designed this state,
how this cycle of entwined being relates,
and as each in purpose rises in light,
others wane in darkest night,
replenish earth and more,
to attest the rise of new growth,
cycles in an avowed oath
to live on and flourish.

Tony DeLorger

Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

12 thoughts on “To Flourish

• January 30, 2019 at 8:49 PM

A pleasure to see you stopping in Tony. I enjoyed the analysis you presented – it is a brave new world we’re looking at but I still think there are plenty of people who prefer the classical styles and verse.

• January 30, 2019 at 10:36 PM

Yes Ralph, many changes and not all good. The problem I have is often one of simplicity where much of the clever use of language is lost and work becomes just repetitive. Always nice to drop by, hope you are well. Take care.

• January 31, 2019 at 4:57 AM

Tony , I too ponder on the world of poetry writing , writing in general has gone so commercial ! You’re a much talented writer and I often compare our writing to a day when EVERYONE wrote letters almost daily . I have read old letters that are as poetic as anything I’ve ever written. It’s crazy .
    Keep up the awesome writing , perhaps one day the public will come back ?
    Who knows , good to see you back here .

• January 31, 2019 at 5:40 AM

Yes, I guess you never know what’s to come. Its nice to visit Ed and I appreciated you kindness. Its all we can do to keep writing and exploring ourselves and the world. Take care my friend.

• January 31, 2019 at 11:15 PM

Wonderful to read another excellent poem by you Tony. 1 out of 10 blaaa”! I will never submit my poetry to be graded or compared in that case. Most of the algorithms used on the Internet are totally against anything poetic. As you say in your commentary once upon a time poetry and poets were revered as the greatest literary talents. I think society as a whole has dumbed down dramatically and mainstream people can no longer appreciate poetry. As you also say there are countless poetry specific sites on the internet however and the huge number of members some have, proves that there still is a love of poetry out there, it just isn’t promoted as it should be.
    I submitted poetry to a publisher who said although my work was enjoyable to read and had good messages it wasn’t “perfect.” Please explain “perfection” to me. I look at some modern day published poets and think…well if that’s perfection, I am lost.

• February 1, 2019 at 12:46 AM

Thanks John, fancy saying that anyone’s work had to be perfect. The truth is they don’t make money out of it these days. I have a friend, a novelist in New York and it wasn’t until his work became acclaimed that he forced them to publish a work of poetry. He is brialliant and his poems extraordinary, yet his work made no money for him or his publisher. I guess that’s how it is. But as you say, if they promoted work it may well be different. Glad you enjoyed the peom mate, Hope all is well. Take care.

• February 1, 2019 at 6:06 AM

Ooh I would love to see what scores I would get. I know I’ve been told numerous times I have a different style than the textbook poets. How in the world is that a 1 out of 10 poem? Goes to show that maybe some of these sites have lost touch with what poetry actually means. Good to see you again my friend.

• February 1, 2019 at 6:09 PM

Thanks Paul, yes it’s obvious that within any algorithm there will be bias. In this case, anything different from what they believe is mainstream poetry is of no value. That, in itself, is the opposite of what creative expression is. It shows a devout ignorance that I understand has no value to me, as a poet. My choice of genre and style should never be devalued based on any bias. It is a shame, but as I said, my work, regardless of their view, is still at the top of the scale compared to the millions on the site. It’s crazy. Even the words I use are handed back to me saying that three quarters of my vocabulary is ‘weak’ compared to the ‘strong words they attest. If I believed them I would be writing ‘
    ‘roses are red’ poetry. Nice to hear from you Paul. Take care.

• February 2, 2019 at 3:21 PM

Tony I write for this group because I am tired of poets, with confidence I might add, telling me how a poem must be written. I believe poetry incorporates many different styles and voices that are found within the journey of the writer. I do not mind reading essays of peoples opinions and sharing my own but I do mind when people ask me why I write how I do or give unwarranted criticism. My battle has been writing in verse instead of free verse. I have my reasons and I explain my reasons in my poetry. Anyways I know it sound kind off trite but I write here because I feel that no one in our group is going to tell me that what I write is not poetry or ask me why I even write. I am a little sensitive that way. I enjoyed All Poetry’s attempt to help me refine my art but it got old. Now I just want to write what I feel like writing when I want to write it and share it to whomever wants to read. Thank you for opening up this conversation it is nice to hear similar journeys and thoughts from our peers. Jamie

• February 2, 2019 at 4:18 PM

Thanks Jamie, yes trying to put poetic expression in a box is the opposite of how it should be. I too take no notice of the whole grading thing, how people react to your work and hopefully enjoy it is all one needs to be motovated. We are each unique in our expression and that is the most important aspect of creativity. Take care my friend.

• February 2, 2019 at 10:17 PM

I enjoyed reading this piece, Tony. Poetry is personal expression, thus there are many different and unique styles. I study styles of the masters such as Yeats, Wilde, Burns, Poe, etc., and have yet to see consistent rules, styles and formats in their works. They are still famous and loved today for their individual creativity and unique word crafting. I believe poetry will never go out of fashion and that someday TCE poets will enter halls of the masters and become beloved poets to millions. Great work, dear poet.

• February 3, 2019 at 12:05 PM

Thanks Phyllis, I always appreciated your support. Take care.