That Extra Mile

Walk That Extra Mile

That Extra Mile

I walked that extra mile today,

My thoughts though were far, far away.

Each step I took a secret pledge

To live my life on a knife’s edge.

Each week day seems to come and go,

No change of routine, that I know.

We only have one life to live

So give it all you have to give.

Don’t contemplate and waste each hour,

Procrastination has no power.

We can’t stay safe and never try

Or sit around waiting to die.

Get up, go out, and take a chance,

Treat every day like your last dance.

The world is full of wondrous sights,

Explore as many as you might.

Each day search for that pot of gold,

You don’t know what the future holds.

Support your friends, give to the poor,

True riches will be at your door.

So, don’t just sit there growing hair,

Please raise up from your easy chair.

Do all the things of which you’ve dreamed,

They aren’t so difficult it seems.

Tick each thing off your bucket list,

Kiss  girls or guys you’ve never kissed.

Just stop your moping, wasting time,

The punishment will suit the crime.

So, walk that extra mile today

And let your thoughts from comfort stray.

The only thing that holds you back

Is the bravery that you lack.

Grab each morning by the collar,

Make that sucker scream and holler.

by John Hansen © 2018

Please leave nothing but your footprints

John Hansen

After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com.Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction.

Latest posts by John Hansen (see all)

John Hansen

Longtime poet but not in the traditional technical sense. I enjoy rhyme but like to experiment and dabble in many different forms and maybe even make up some of my own. There is always a message or lesson I want to promote through my writing, for that reason, my poetry generally shies away from the abstract and obscure. After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com. Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction. I have also been fortunate to have two poems chosen to be made into songs and recorded. The first "On the Road to Kingdom Come" by Al Wordlaw, and the second, "If I Could Write a Love Poem" by award-winning Israeli/British singer Tally Koren. I am also finding my services increasingly in demand as a freelance writer and I have ghost-written the text for a number of children's books and educational tutorials. It has taken me many years of searching and restlessness to realise that my life's passion is to write. It saddens me that I wasted so many years not devoting to that, but thinking positively, the experiences gained over those years is now wonderful material for my stories and poems. I want to try to bring a new focus on poetry and try to make it appealing to a new generation of young people and those who thought they never liked or understood it before.

12 thoughts on “That Extra Mile

• January 4, 2019 at 11:48 AM

John, I love this poem. You did not hold back any thoughts on this motivating and inspirational piece. Well done, dear poet, well done.

• January 4, 2019 at 4:29 PM

Thank you Phyllis, I am glad you found this inspirational and enjoyable.

• January 4, 2019 at 12:06 PM

Very inspirational my friend. I wish i could just sit and grow hair. Lol. Im trying to walk that extra mile for more reasons nowadays. Nice work as always John

• January 4, 2019 at 4:30 PM

Haha, Paul, yes me too. I tried just sitting back growing hair but it didn’t work so I may as well use my time more fruitfully. I know what you mean about having more reasons to walk the extra mile.

• January 4, 2019 at 4:05 PM

I love it John , great advice for all ! Thank you for a great reminder .

• January 4, 2019 at 4:31 PM

Thanks, Ed. I have to remind myself these things as much as anyone. Cheers.

• January 5, 2019 at 10:16 AM

John, I have decided to walk my extra mile in this direction. Inspired. I hope the day brings joy. Jamie

• January 5, 2019 at 10:44 AM

Yes, Jamie an extra mile of inspiration is a good choice. Have a great day.

• January 6, 2019 at 7:21 AM

As we age we all need to get off the couch and not let it dominate our lives. There is so much to see and do, people to help, places to visit, daring adventures to traverse, dare to do something completely different than what we presently do. Like sky-diving, climbing that mountain, crossing the ocean, shooting the rapids, surfing. Just because were seniors, no reason to sit back. I enjoy the great outdoors and often jump in my SUV and head to the lake or woods to experience mother nature. If we don’t move our bodies and take deep breathes outdoors, the stale air in our homes will stifle us and our creativity. Wise words here John, I totally agree with you. Let’s LIVE not perish as we age, and besides it’s lots of fun to get off the couch and get outdoors.

• January 6, 2019 at 8:30 AM

Yes, Vincent you have covered a lot of possibilities there for making our lives more fruitful, healthy and exciting. We certainly need to utilize the fresh air and sunshine more than many of us do. Technology makes it too easy for us to become couch potatoes who never venture outside. Thanks for your words of wisdom.

• January 6, 2019 at 8:19 AM

Nice inspirational piece John. Just in the last 2 years I have taken those steps to walk that extra mile for myself and I feel better for it. I hope my friend that you have a healthy new year and walk that extra mile for yourself.

• January 6, 2019 at 8:32 AM

Hi Kurt, glad you found this piece inspirational. Good to hear you are walking that extra mile and I have started as well this year especially to stay healthy and be fitter. Thanks for reading.