To All The Creative Exiles

To All The Creative Exiles …

Creative Exiles

Ebb and Flow

With the changes that come and go in writing forums over my last eight or ten years there is one phenomena that I’ve observed, which is we’ve all been a part of creative writings that seem to ebb and flow.  I know they have for me, and oh how innocent I was at my first crude expressions. Some were horrible and some decent. In the end, as I have accumulated the poetry and stories on this site, I realize that I have backed away from writing some. More than that however, I realize that I have stopped interacting with many great writers here.

Respond to Comments

I tend to come along when I feel the urge to write and jot something down. Usually at that point I will back away and forget about writing for awhile. More importantly,  I neglect to respond to the comments. I have failed to say “Thank You” and I hope that you all can forgive me for that.  Recently I noticed that our friend, Tony DeLorger, may be leaving us. I truly hope it isn’t because he feels that we have neglected his extensive input, because he has done a lot of editing, writing, commenting, and  probably far more.

The Creative Exiles

We who write poetry and stories here know all too well how we have been received by readers and other writers whether here or in other places. Sometimes we are well received and sometimes not. More than that, however, I am evaluating just what I expect from my input. Is it just a comment or two that’s enough for us? Are we “giving back ” enough to those we do share our space with?  Is it enough for me, for you, is it enough for any of us? Do the creators of The Creative Exiles need more than a thank you? Where are we to go if we don’t have TCE?

Become More Involved

I think I may try to “double down” a bit here, perhaps try to write more, comment more, share more of that which we may all desire, some appreciation for our art, or for our curse,  whichever this writing habit has become for any of us! For Tony Delorger I truly hope he is refocusing  his time simply in order to concentrate on the positive aspects of his great writing! May his art truly “pay off ” for him, as with all of my friends here at The Creative Exiles!

Keep Writing. All of You!

EdF

Sometime in my life, I started to write about my life journey, in poetry, in story perhaps to sort them out and enter them into a place of safekeeping. The soul of the writer is perhaps best described in their words, emotions and thoughts. If these poems or stories touch something inside you then maybe I have succeeded in sharing. I will not write about my self in profile, because self isn't so important in writing. Only the journey in words and the sharing are important. Why would weever say " Now about me !"........I'd rather write about life, nature, serenity ........

Latest posts by EdF (see all)

EdF

Sometime in my life, I started to write about my life journey, in poetry, in story perhaps to sort them out and enter them into a place of safekeeping. The soul of the writer is perhaps best described in their words, emotions and thoughts. If these poems or stories touch something inside you then maybe I have succeeded in sharing. I will not write about my self in profile, because self isn't so important in writing. Only the journey in words and the sharing are important. Why would we ever say " Now about me !"........I'd rather write about life, nature, serenity ........

11 thoughts on “To All The Creative Exiles

• December 17, 2018 at 10:06 PM

Ed, thank you for writing this heartfelt post. It would be a great shame if Tony decided to leave The Creative Exiles. He is by far the most prolific writer here and without his input we would be struggling for content. That said, I know I am guilty of only reading a small number of Tony’s works. I don’t have a lot of spare time and what I have to spend here I try to spread it around reading one piece from each of the other writers who post. if there is a new or returning writer I will give their post priority to encourage more.
    You are also a valued member here and I always enjoy what you write…always from the heart and of your life experiences. thanks again for being a part of TCE and for you encouragement.

• December 17, 2018 at 10:24 PM

Work well done, Ed, and penned from the heart and soul. Thank you for this wonderful inspirational piece. I enjoyed reading it.

• December 18, 2018 at 6:12 AM

Most of us began writing I’m sure for the personal rewards that writing offers , Is there an eventual end to this “need” of writing for some ? Who knows , but surely we can double down a bit on our own input . Simply put some writers need a little more of a “payoff ” in one way , form or another and some don’t . I may be guilty of reaching a point of not needing that , Tony is an excellent writer as is clearly evidenced by his art , maybe he needs to concentrate on the commercial end of rewards and THAT is all well and good . For some of us it’s a hobby of sorts I guess .

John , Phyllis and Tony too, you have invested much in this excellent sight ! Be proud of this !
    There may be no just rewards for any of us in the end however each of us has gained much in your incredible contributions , Thank You ! And WE don’t say thank you near enough !

• December 18, 2018 at 11:51 AM

Bless your heart, Ed – this is a wonderful message and I truly appreciate what you wrote to John, Tony, and me. We, along with Ralph, have worked a long time to help TCE grow and be successful. We have had failures and successes and have done our best to support all authors, so, for you to recognize and voice your appreciation is truly a gift.

I must say, Ed, that you are an important part of helping us all to grow. You and I worked together long and hard in the beginning till you learned the way of TCE and you have grown tremendously as a poet and valuable member. Thank you for continuing to be a part of TCE.

Many hugs and blessings to you, dear friend.

• December 18, 2018 at 1:35 PM

Its not only the “thank yous” back to others we also have to comment more on each other’s works. I know tony posted so many and it was difficult to find the time to comment on all of them, but if atleast we commented on a few of them it helps. Not saying thats the reason why. I always saw the same names on my stuff. No new ones ever. I love this site. To me it was a very positive experience. I will definitely still post here. Hopefully it stays afloat.

• December 18, 2018 at 2:43 PM

Phyllis , Darn ‘it , Of course I forgot Ralph ! Yes , you are right , my not being real internet savvy I did benefit greatly from your help and I owe you a big Thank You ! Paul , You are right my friend , although I’ve gotten away from the habit of commenting , we should all be more appreciative of each others work . Tony does that very well and he wrote so much too ! I agree with all you said as I now have a little more time to write I’m going to try a little harder . I would never have gotten far into writing if not for all the great commenters I’ve enjoyed !

I hope you all have a great Christmas !

• December 18, 2018 at 9:35 PM

Thank you all for your kind words, they are very much appreciated. I want my work to remain here and I’ll never say never. Pursuing money for writing has never been my intention, and presently, apart from writing I’m getting back into oil painting and oil pastels, why chosen medium for art. I’ll never be far away from you all and may I take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a safe, healthy and prosperous 2019. Take care all.

• December 20, 2018 at 8:15 AM

Dear TCE, I love this site and I love all of you. There is so many different places to post creative writing now-a-days it almost makes you dizzy with the options and each one has a social aspect where success is directly related to building relationships with other writers and offering insight and honest criticism. I also feel quite a bit of guilt for not just taking a break from commenting but stopping completely and I have forgotten how important communication is in maintaining friendships. I am a very quiet and private person who has been either blessed or cursed with a constant need to write poetry. Poetry, the hardest of all writing to find people to read and comment on, which has caused me much emotional turmoil over the years. The truth is I am not a very enlightened person and I suffer from anxiety and anger and other annoying human attributes but I need to break free from my chains and let everyone know here at TCE that I love the chance to be a member of this group of creative writers and I need to let you all know how much I appreciate you every day by offering more of myself and contributing my opinions and comments to each of us. I feel that in TCE I have found a group of writers that have a similar voice. A voice that fits. Please accept my apologies and I promise to let you know that I am reading and enjoying the family that TCE offers me. And Ed thank you for opening my eyes. Jamie

• December 21, 2018 at 5:51 AM

Jamie , you could not have stated my feelings better than you did !
    Thank you for that !

• December 23, 2018 at 12:42 PM

I for one have enjoyed writing here, My ability to be a poet is not on par with some who write here, but it gives me space to write what I want without restriction. And some poets here inspire me to write more. I do not think I would have published any of my novels if not for Creative Exiles. Thank you Ed for stating the obvious when most of us have become complacent.

• December 24, 2018 at 1:15 PM

Kurt my friend , you sir belong writing and writing poetry too ! I have been finishing up much other reading and yet to engage the Kurt James Kindle writings but rest assured , I will . May there be peace in your neighborhood this season and much appreciation for your many writing talents !
    Merry Christmas !