Ancestry…its resounding voice

Ancestry...its resounding voice
Ancestry…its resounding voice

The will to live so poignant,
the struggle so immense,
innate within a seed for endurance,
a prerequisite, to win,
as life in all its forms finds purpose just to be,
fighting every battle
to follow the paths of ancestry.

We may not remember,
only feel a strong connection,
but it is so much more, a predilection,
that guides us to our soul’s reward,
the pathway we must travail
to reap our knowing soul,
as we strive to become whole, prevail.

I often hear their echoes,
voices from a long forgotten past,
resounding in the present,
their words a comfort, their intent unsurpassed
by the love they hold,
family so intertwined,
beyond space, beyond time, foretold.

And I see life struggle,
and feel not sorrow, but pride,
for we each are a facet of the world we abide,
and the will to live is strong,
the capacity to overcome innate,
each trial for our learning,
for a growing soul to sate.

So with those voices ringing,
their love so warmly sent,
I watch the world through different eyes,
and my worries just relent,
for I know we’re meant here,
our purpose is written in stone,
our family like a brotherhood
a precious gift within us, sewn.

Tony DeLorger © 2018

Tony DeLorger

Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

8 thoughts on “Ancestry…its resounding voice

• October 2, 2018 at 11:14 PM

I love this piece, Tony. Ancestral ties and voices are so much a part of my life path – I hear their voices often. Your verse is well-penned and endearing. The image you chose for that stanza is very lovely and appropriate. Great work dear friend. Take care.

• October 3, 2018 at 4:00 PM

I only hope that my ancestors can look down upon me and smile. I hope I do them justice. Lovely verse my friend.

• October 4, 2018 at 3:20 PM

Oh I can often hear the rattle of the chains, the clashing of the swords, shields and spears flung to hit their marks. The hordes of tribes fighting to their deaths. Yes indeed my Celtic ancestry I am proud of and from them I feel my roots and honor their ghosts from the past. Their voices echo through my soul and I know they await me to join them on the other side. Well penned and visual my friend, bravo.

• October 6, 2018 at 1:33 AM

Glad you enjoyed it Vincent, and I too have such recollection of swordplay and blood and gore. It all resounds within us, echoing incessantly from our many lives. Glad you related and enjoyed it, my friend. Cheers!

• October 9, 2018 at 9:24 PM

Lovely verse, Tony. Our ancestry is something none of us can deny and must go some way to shaping who we are. My own blood originates from Viking stock so how much of the raping and pillaging lives on in me I don’t know 🙂 Hopefully, my ancestors were among the more sedate of the clan.

• October 10, 2018 at 6:53 AM

We are the sub-total of all our lives and ancestry, and our genetics and predisposition confirm much of what went on before us. Be interesting to know it all, wouldn’t it? Glad you related John . Take care.