In the False Name of Love

In the False Name of Love
In the False Name of Love

With trepidation
I walk the paths of invitation,
coaxed by those who need, perhaps to feed,
and I the prey they seek,
for symbiosis is a human trait,
a compromise to survive,
to take what is needed rather than wanted,
to align with those who fulfill need,
keep us balanced,
and often love is the pretense,
the guise of being together.

How familiar this truth,
the ruse of so many,
clinging to one another out of fear,
out of the impossible facing of truth,
in denial the love they have to survive,
to feel whole in a dream they hold still,
and so many fall, for without real love,
change exacerbates the pretense
and eventually needs evolve,
and so then does a relationship,
ill-equipped for reality.

Love is so often an enigma,
a word so used out of context,
and those who abide not its ideals
are sure to fail, for security is not a placation
but a soul-felt right in being within love,
and all else pales in comparison,
fulfilling needs like breathing air,
we so take for granted,
and then what is left in a relationship
without real love,
without foundation?

Symbiosis may be mutually beneficial,
yet substance seeks further reassurance,
and in loves name without it, all is lost,
as we need love more than anything else,
possessions, status, wealth and power
may be addictive,
but they lead not to happiness,
to peace and joy,
just a dark whole of incompleteness,
a superficial guise of being,
forged in the desperate needs of the lost.

Tony DeLorger © 2018

Tony DeLorger

Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

4 thoughts on “In the False Name of Love

• August 10, 2018 at 12:25 AM

Love is sacred and should never be used as a pretense or a game. I have found, over the last few years, that real love goes on forever and when expressed is sincere, from the heart and soul. Very nicely penned and emotive piece, Tony. Take care.

• August 10, 2018 at 12:45 AM

Glad you appreciated the work, Phyllis; without real love no relationship lasts. Cheers!

• August 11, 2018 at 11:47 AM

Tony, love is fleeting as many think they have captured it and hold it with fear of losing. Yet I have found in my lifetime that LOVE once found is truly a nectar from the gods. If given the opportunity to fall into the deepest of LOVES embrace, then I say cling to it for your life and never let it go. Unfortunately for far too many humans, love is interpreted incorrectly, LUST is not LOVE and that is the trap many of us fell into, I did. I let the physical captivate me thinking that must lasting and forever, but it’s shallow without true LOVE your aim. I have a couple of members of my family who found LOVE and clung on to it for well over 40 years now. FRIENDSHIP first, LOVE will follow. Treating your opposite as your BEST FRIEND will always survive a deep LOVE. I found it once, but lost it, never recovered from it and to this day, I am a reclusive nature, yet happy, not alone, but sometimes lonely. But I find ways to curb that loss and keep moving forward. Well penned my friend, I believe you too know the feeling of lost LOVE.

• August 12, 2018 at 6:30 PM

We are similar in many ways Vincent, and yes, I have know love and been betrayed, or at least love has. It is difficult to find someone with the same ideals and these days love is treated with such disrespect. Its a shame because really it is the pinnacle of our possibility, our potential. Take care my friend.