Sleep Banish My Sorrows, Take Me Away

Sleep banish my sorrows, take me away,
to distant lands where love will abide,
in the warmth of sunshine for all the day,
and love at night lays closely by my side.

sleep banish
Sleep, take me away …

Take me up to a celestial slide,
where stars will shine so brightly as I play,
sliding gleefully down spirals so far,
landing ever so softly on each star.

Then bring fluffy beautiful clouds of white,
so I can dance within their lovely mist,
and forget I recently missed my bliss,
when hopes I once had were so quickly dashed.

Then when Ol’ Sol goes down and comes the night,
let me not dream of being sweetly kissed,
let me not dream of anything at all,
for I cannot take yet another fall.

From slumber deep upon the golden moon,
let me awake on the Aegean Sea,
floating gently in a private lagoon,
where the only one I will meet is me.

And when I meet this one who is alone,
give me some wisdom to understand me,
and to know that hope lives on, for my love
is not lost, it lives in my star above.

The beauty of this loving made me strong,
at times helped me to forgive myself for
losing my sanity, saying things wrong,
to the one who gave me kindness and more.

He gave me friendship so true, so sincere,
helped me understand myself, to see clear,
I saw the truth when he brought me near it,
he is dear to me, gentle in spirit.

sleep banish
Let me play on fluffy white clouds.

© 2018 Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Site Manager, Senior Editor at The Creative Exiles
I have always liked to write.It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.
Phyllis Doyle Burns

Latest posts by Phyllis Doyle Burns (see all)

Phyllis Doyle Burns

I have always liked to write. It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.

8 thoughts on “Sleep Banish My Sorrows, Take Me Away

• July 20, 2018 at 7:35 AM

What a beautiful expression of self-examination. We all have moments of self doubt, who we may have offended and wanted to take it back. Losing ones sanity temporarily is common, learning how to forgive and apologize to someone or persons we may have slighted takes courage and humbleness. I am a critic of my own temperaments Phyllis. I work on it every day. But when sleep comes, I too want to drift off into another world of peace and calm. To be totally alone, adrift on a calm sea, enjoying the peace and serenity of silence. It’s here where often me my other self, my soul mate, she awaits me, beckoning me to stay and I reluctantly say adieu to be pulled back into this uncertain world. I wish you peace and finding that soul who is alone and awaits your gentle spirit dear poet.

• July 20, 2018 at 10:53 AM

You may want to remove this Anonymous, for it is I Vincent Moore. I had forgotten to sign in when I left this comment Phyllis. It did not appear so I thought it had disappeared, but of course it was waiting for your acceptance at your dashboard. My apology, I had good intentions;-))

VM

• July 20, 2018 at 7:59 AM

Often for me the dream is where I find my total solitude and peace. Among the fluffy clouds, the brooks and streams, valleys and rivers flowing in peace. This earthly realm has it’s difficulties no doubt. Dealing with people daily can be very tiring and tedious at times. We all want to be heard on some form or another, express our points of view and challenge and defend it. So when the time is nigh to leave and find complete freedom from all this noise on earth, it’s welcoming to my heart and soul to fall into dreamland. It’s often there I meet that ONE she awaits me, hand held out to grasp mine and pull me in to her bosom so tender and warm. It’s in her presence I am brought to wholeness again and nothing can tear that apart until I am once again pulled back into my hell on earth. We all lose our sanity from time to time Phyllis, it’s recognizing though that we can find peace by simply letting go, putting behind the wrongs we may have caused to others, being humble and offering apology to those we may have offended. It’s called grace and I’m thankful I found that as well and learned to forgive and bury hate. So to you I wish that you too find that ONE and have peace and love everlasting. with him always by your side. Nicely penned my friend.

• July 20, 2018 at 1:23 PM

Thank you, Vincent, for the lovely wish for me. Yes, grace has become part of me, also, because of the love I hold within my heart and soul.

• July 20, 2018 at 10:43 PM

A heart-felt and touching outpouring Phyllis, as we all want the same thing. In later life we see it all differently but the need to be loved and cherished is ever-present. May you live in happiness and the spirit of love forever in your heart. Take care dear friend.

• July 20, 2018 at 10:51 PM

Thank you so much, Tony. So glad you appreciate it. Thank you for the lovely blessings. Take care dear friend.