Meaning…In the Moment

Meaning In the Moment
Meaning In the Moment

In this minute,
this fleeting moment of insignificance,
I can but grasp its fleeting spark,
for what do I have other than this,
and who am I to be within it’s outpouring
as it passes, have I changed its potential,
its rendered pulsing any trace of who I am,
clinging to its moment, with purpose, with ardour
or watching it dissipate before my eyes?

Choices render my state,
participant or observer, I blink, too late,
or espouse the trail it makes,
either way, do I exist, matter to its ultimate demise,
as time flies and I try to be the bright star
in a star-filled sky, no compromise
just an innate pursuit of questions unanswered,
time itself ambivalent
and I leaving what mark upon it.

In my striving does time absorb my intentions,
leave a trail of my doing, to shine beyond me,
or linger for but a second,
or even reverberate for a millennia,
who am I to know what voice I hold in life’s path,
in times aftermath,
moments chosen or missed
that in remiss I leave scattered about
like refuse of my thoughts.

Yet we do strive to be known, to stand out,
a memory of worth chosen by others,
here, in the time we have, each moment counts,
and who will know what we’re about,
as we navigate this path of life,
aspiring, trying to find ourselves,
before we fall to the closed door of time’s relent,
and then as souls free, we transform to other realms,
where forget we may the whole account.

I watch the time tick away,
its moody swings of pace too giddy I to acclimate,
yet follow paths I do in seeking this or that,
to see how it fits, as time evacuates my inquiry,
and sits on distant hills mocking me,
as if I’m so off subject, to be ridiculed;
so I damn time’s arrogant stance
and subjugate its bullying,
I’ll see for myself.

Tony DeLorger © 2018

Tony DeLorger

Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

6 thoughts on “Meaning…In the Moment

• July 15, 2018 at 12:37 AM

This verse brings to mind an inspiring thought: in our next life if we read something we wrote in this life, would a spark of memory come back to the moment we wrote it? Great writing lives on and on for many life times. Great writing, Tony. x

• July 15, 2018 at 1:36 AM

Yes, its complex with all the possibilities. Glad it made you think Phyllis. Take care.

• July 15, 2018 at 1:10 AM

My thought is we can only live within this moment for the next moment is not fully guaranteed – a very thoughtful piece Tony

• July 15, 2018 at 7:11 AM

Very interesting Tony. Thoughts are nurtured, they explode from some of us in such a fashion that astounds us. How often does a poet in wonderment think about his/her’s accomplishments for self in this realm, writing a tirade of compose given to us from our Muse’s in complete peace knowing that we are able to excite others in ways unimaginable. We lay our pen’s down sit back and often say to ourselves, did this come from me? Think of many of the great poets from the past who like you felt the same about their presence on this earth in their period and here we are today benefactors of what they penned, devouring much of it and calling them the greatest poets of their time. You sir, no worry, for as time passes your words will live on for future generations to read either here or on a new world. Well penned and expressed, actually fascinating thinking Tony. Cheers

• July 15, 2018 at 7:29 PM

Thanks Vincent, in posing questions we follow those trails of thought that lead us to wormholes and still other questions. As thoughts unravel we learn from ourselves, consider new ways to perceive what first appears obvious. I’m a mind explorer, always ready to change tact and see things differently. So pleased you enjoyed my musing. Take care my friend.