Extend That Helping Hand…

Extend That Helping Hand...
Extend That Helping Hand…

The expectations of others are often a burden of weight,
but far worse is their judgement,
the perspective they take when assessing our lives,
as they simply weigh by comparison
what they believe is right,
how they live the measure of our plight.

How absurd this futile perspective,
this measure of judgement that is so biased,
a narrow thinking that has no bite at all,
just symptoms of a belief in themselves,
always better, always more learned,
whether we fit or not into their world.

Oh, what segregation this human trait procures,
if not the same state, the same belief,
we are proved unworthy in their view;
this is our problem, an innate judgement
that cannot be cured, until egos take a back seat,
acceptance the only cure.

I see it in their eyes, disapproval leaks
from all the holes in their minds,
so many expectations, so may rules,
yet question their own lives they will never do,
and that is a sad reflection of self-importance,
judging those whose lives they do not know.

If there was one human trait one could eradicate
it would be judgement, because it segregates us all,
it determines classes, beliefs religions and more
to isolate us within our own groups,
because integrations somehow demeans those who judge,
the racists, the bigots, religious extremists and fascists
are all a smudge on earth.

I dream of days when people are accepting, tolerant,
when judgement is set aside, and hope is alive,
where beliefs are just diversity and not contention,
where culture and religion are personal choices, respected,
and in my heart I believe that day will come,
I just hope the cost is not too great.

Above all this is love, a capacity to understand
to be compassionate and caring for all life,
and wouldn’t it be grand to walk down the street
and know each soul that passed
would give you a helping hand,
just because they could.

Tony DeLorger © 2018

Tony DeLorger

Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

8 thoughts on “Extend That Helping Hand…

• July 15, 2018 at 10:44 PM

This is an unfortunate truth Tony, our lives are always judged by others in comparison to their own, and often falsely. the sentiments of your last paragraph are noteworthy and I remember a time when people acted that way. Let’s hope that is still an achievable goal.

• July 15, 2018 at 11:21 PM

Thanks John, yes I believe it is but fear so dominates out thoughts these days, it is not easy trusting. But we can change that, each one of us, in how we approach life and people. One day things will get better. Cheers!

• July 16, 2018 at 2:40 AM

As the world’s populations grow, more values are lost. It costs nothing but effort and will to place love, understanding and compassion above all. I, too, believe things will get better, Tony. People will open their hearts when they see just how much love can heal humanity. Take care.

• July 16, 2018 at 3:26 AM

Glad you believe as I do, and lets hope it happens sooner than later. Take care Phyllis. Cheers!

• July 16, 2018 at 7:55 PM

I am filled with hope and not yet ready to give up on mankind. I have seen the LOVE given from individuals, the many, many people who are sacrificing their time and efforts to make this planet we call home a better place. For all the greed and avarice people in this world, there are so many who care and show the love to others and not to just themselves. So I am a believer Tony, and praise for humanity among us all. Be kind to one another, endeavor always to live peacefully and love our fellow man, woman and child. Well expressed my poet, I know you have a lot of humanity in your heart and soul. Peace brother.

• July 17, 2018 at 1:30 AM

And peace to you Vincent, there is always hope but we are working against some major forces of evil, no doubt. Thanks mate, always appreciated your kind words of support. Cheers!

• July 17, 2018 at 9:07 AM

Great piece to ponder my friend. I must say though I would not be in agreement of removing judgment completely from human traits, maybe the part that passes judgment before even getting to know someone, but I usually say I’m a pretty good judge of character and, 9 times out of 10 I am right. If everyone was good and wholesome, this world would be boring. No heroes or villains, the lose of much of the emotional spectrum, and no anchor to reality,etc.. I do agree we need to get past the portion of judgment that you speak of but for me to lose that part of my intuition I would not. Awesome piece my friend, had me thinking.

• July 17, 2018 at 6:07 PM

That’s the purpose of the piece Paul, to make people reconsider how they see the world. It is found-less judgement and bias that limits ourselves and that is something we need to revise in our thinking. Glad you appreciated it my friend. Take care.