A Poem of Questions

Question everything

A  Poem of Questions

How do you rightfully explain

Feelings swirling in your brain,

Like anger, empathy, or passion,

Or delight at following new fashion?

Φ

Why do men embrace a sport,

Smoke cigars, sip tawny port,

Or over babies, women pine,

And standing in the bargain line?

Φ

All of us are needing love

From family, friends, or God above.

But do we spread that love around

To homeless people in our town?

Φ

What instils within us hate,

An inner anger we must sate

For others different from ourselves,

Black, Asian, gay, or even elves?

Φ

Does the government really care

To do what’s ethical and fair?

Do they care who can’t find work

When, they can claim all kinds of perks?

Φ

Do you worry about death,

Getting old and failing health?

Or do you take the package deal

And face every single day with zeal?

Φ

Poverty and malnutrition,

Is the answer just attrition?

Or should we show a caring heart,

Reach in our pockets, do our part?

Φ

Question everything you must

Don’t take promises on trust.

Some are truthful. others not,

Use the wisdom that you’ve got.

Φ

by John Hansen © 2018

Questions
Questions

John Hansen

After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com.Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction.

Latest posts by John Hansen (see all)

John Hansen

Longtime poet but not in the traditional technical sense. I enjoy rhyme but like to experiment and dabble in many different forms and maybe even make up some of my own. There is always a message or lesson I want to promote through my writing, for that reason, my poetry generally shies away from the abstract and obscure. After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com. Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction. I have also been fortunate to have two poems chosen to be made into songs and recorded. The first "On the Road to Kingdom Come" by Al Wordlaw, and the second, "If I Could Write a Love Poem" by award-winning Israeli/British singer Tally Koren. I am also finding my services increasingly in demand as a freelance writer and I have ghost-written the text for a number of children's books and educational tutorials. It has taken me many years of searching and restlessness to realise that my life's passion is to write. It saddens me that I wasted so many years not devoting to that, but thinking positively, the experiences gained over those years is now wonderful material for my stories and poems. I want to try to bring a new focus on poetry and try to make it appealing to a new generation of young people and those who thought they never liked or understood it before.

12 thoughts on “A Poem of Questions

• July 14, 2018 at 2:15 PM

Very clever, nicely penned and rhymed. So many questions and some we really should answer to. Well done, John. Take care.

• July 14, 2018 at 8:37 PM

Thank you, Phyllis. So many questions, so few answers. You take care too.

• July 14, 2018 at 7:27 PM

Awesome John and as Phyllis said very clever – nice job… fun to read.

• July 14, 2018 at 8:38 PM

Hi Kurt. Thanks for reading this poem of questions, glad you enjoyed. Cheers.

• July 14, 2018 at 7:39 PM

Some profound truths and a remainder how easily we slip into apathy over what’s actually happening around us. Great message and cleverly penned John. Well done my friend.

• July 14, 2018 at 8:40 PM

Tony, there is just too much apathy in the world. If we are comfortable why worry about others or the world in general? Too many think that way, unfortunately. Thanks for reading.

• July 15, 2018 at 7:52 AM

You pen what many feel keeps them up at night and some awakening in cold sweats. We can’t change the world, but work together to make it a better place to live. We are all atoms and star dust trying to find a meaning in so many forms of expressions. That’s what makes this place we occupy such an interesting place to live in. My motto has always been, do unto others as you would like done unto you. I do my best to live peacefully and watch the play unfold daily before me. What a cast of characters we all are, whoever made us had a sense of humor for sure. Well penned John.

• July 15, 2018 at 9:39 PM

Het, Vincent, good to see you, buddy. Yes, it sure is an interesting world and our creator must be sitting back in great amusement at all the drama and chaos taking place. We do need to work together to make things better. Thanks for reading and for the interesting comment.

• July 17, 2018 at 8:36 AM

Ahh. I wish I were a kid again. No questions. Just fun. Many of these are part of the common sense guide to being a person but some leave us twisted, fighting our own belief system, pondering the other side. Really enjoyed this Poem of Questions John. Nice work

• July 17, 2018 at 5:50 PM

Paul, yes you are right. most of these are just common sense but society often tends to try to warp our way of thinking to suit its agenda. I too would like to see the world through the eyes of a child again. Thanks for reading.

• July 17, 2018 at 11:17 PM

Great rhymes, but even better questions. I think we could all learn something from this, especially to not take things at face value.

• July 17, 2018 at 11:23 PM

Thanks, Ralph. We often just take things for granted instead of considering the outcomes or asking the relevant questions. Cheers.