Indifference is a Killer

Indifference is a Killer
Indifference is a Killer

Indifference is a killer,
the ebbing away of giving a shit,
and the more complacent we become,
the more the future is blurred,
and without a future,
without focus on tomorrow,
life loses meaning and circumstances
then shrink into limits,
at end, a physical death.

With no joy in the prospect of tomorrow,
with nothing to look forward to,
we recede into ourselves,
no longer searching for reasons to be,
and thus giving credence to not being,
an indifference that creates
emptiness and despair,
the road to a mental suicide
that soon manifests real.

So many fall for this slippery slope,
unaware of the process of devaluation,
life becoming mundane
and expectations dulled into apathy,
and soon breathing seems fruitless,
what good can come of it,
as the mind loses touch with possibility,
and the tethers begin to break,
clouded by negative feelings and pointlessness.

Yet life is a miracle of diversity and experience,
each moment a potential without limits,
and all we have to do is see it,
understand that worth is in the perspective,
and indifference is a travesty of wrong,
that tricks us into lethargy,
instead we must focus on tomorrow,
its potential and our hopes inspired
to reach further from the darkness.

Tony DeLorger © 2017

My books link for review and purchase

Check out my latest videos on YouTube

Tony DeLorger

Latest posts by Tony DeLorger (see all)

Tony DeLorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

4 thoughts on “Indifference is a Killer

• November 25, 2017 at 6:55 PM

“Yet life is a miracle of diversity and experience,
    each moment a potential without limits,
    and all we have to do is see it,”

That is so true, Tony, yet many fall and slip into indifference. Very emotive and well penned work.

• November 25, 2017 at 9:02 PM

Thanks Phyllis, I have from time to time had suicidal thoughts and I look back and determine how I got there. I now understand and hope others can see tomorrow in a different way. Glad you related. Cheers!

• November 25, 2017 at 10:39 PM

I have also had suicidal thoughts in the past. Once I understood why and how I got there it became easier to accept myself. I am so glad you got to the point where you understand yourself, Tony, about those times. Even if someone was trying to push us over the edge to take our own life, it would be such a horrific injustice to our souls. You and I have far too much love and beauty and creativity to put a sudden stop to that. We have something to pass on to others, to help them see the great importance of embracing and loving the Self. You have a friend for life, and forever with me, I am here for you and for myself. x

• November 26, 2017 at 7:47 AM

A suicidal thought lingers within the soul of many, to implement it though is not an easy decision. We strive to live in a world of indifference and it is a difficult task for many. When one falls below the standards of what this world expects of us and we find ourselves hanging by our teeth to survival it becomes a much easier choice to end it. So as dim as your words are my friend, if we can find life worth living then it must be committed to. Letting the slings of poison arrows pass through us, walking away from the people who want to do us harm, avoiding the stench of hateful words flung to us from fowl tongues. Hold our chin high and pursue this life with hopeful vigor. Leave some form of legacy behind as possible lessons to others that they may live this life without regrets as many of us have. Well penned sir.