Simplicity – A Plea

Simplicity…

Image result for unity hands

Simplicity, it’s just wood and nails right?

A table tucked into a far off corner

A world we can slide in and out of, right?

Its simplicity like a glass of water

Am I Right? Or is it freedom taken for granted

A peace of mind we obtain from simple banter

From the blessing to speak so freely and candid

To not be judged by anyone in any manner.

This table is blind of hue, and cares not your sex

And was fashioned from the hands of generations

Compeers who fought against a racial complex

a complex eroding the bonds of our preservation.

In hopes that wisdom can prevail in days to come,

We shaped the chair. A mark of hospitality

And though the discourse may be vexing to some,

The voice of care is paramount for reality.

I ask who propagated this societal assassin

In the rear view, I searched for the hatred they’ve stocked

Upon the dying branch, so stoutly impassioned,

I asked so blindly again, how far this fruit had dropped

It was not as simple as an apple in a garden,

And a tempting dragon pouring his fiery breath

How long have we been granted humanity’s pardon,

the grant to act vile and even cause another’s death?

The brevity of time we have is so precious,

And we should not spend it killing one another

Is harmony tainted by a poison so insidious,

that we will wage domestic war on our brothers—

These kin, at the table, the ones we shoot the shit with

What venomous spurn could be coursing through their veins?

What have we done to this once great and purposeful myth,

This pillar we stand for, that we grind for, time and again.

How far off the beaten path has this road taken us?

Sometimes the truth hurts, and the pain is really real

But it is ignorant to think we are so righteous

to not accept the faults behind the appeals.

And some questions don’t have the just answers needed,

I cannot speak for the dead, and you cannot either.

In adaptation I say we meet and sort out our reasons

And let us find the consensus to become the weavers

The sky is above me and the earth is below

The fire within me is the likes that no one knows

Within you and me the sustenance to grow

Tuck away those ghosts and demons and help us grow.

Like that glass of water, I offer opinion

It is so absolutely free, what do you think?

Take my existence, it is considered a rebellion

So will you join me at this table for a drink?

Paul Neglia

Proud father of 3. Part time writer of poetry and short stories. I want to paint the world in but a few words.
Paul Neglia

Latest posts by Paul Neglia (see all)

Paul Neglia

17 thoughts on “Simplicity – A Plea

• August 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM

And I am glad to gave you. Much appreciation as always my friend.

• August 16, 2017 at 3:26 PM

I will certainly join you at the table, Paul my friend. There have been so many horrific evens around the world recently of man killing his fellow man, woman, and child for no good reason other than prejudice, hatred, and ignorance. Charlottville, the latest makes me hang my head at what the world is coming to. Thank you for this wonderful piece highlighting mans injustice to man. Great job.

• August 17, 2017 at 12:01 PM

And I am glad to have you John. Too many wrongs and injustices happening nowadays. The spoken word could be the solution. Much appreciation my friend.

• August 16, 2017 at 5:51 PM

Paul,

Your poems speak such depth in their messages. Yes, …”…a poison so insidious…” speaks great wisdom. How lovely, the end verse, as well, about drinking a cup of water with our fellow-man.

It seems that the answer should be so simple, really, yet at times, many complexities seem to take over and spoil the simplicity of what it really could all be.

Thank you for your lovely poem which breathes such depth of thought.

Hugs,

Tamara

• August 17, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Thank you so very much dear Tamara for your kind words. Much appreciated

• August 16, 2017 at 9:19 PM

Evocative and thought-provoking Paul. Love the phrasing and clever wording my friend. I believe it is not until we understand the complexities of life we conclude that living in simplicity is what we want and that frees us from the bonds of thought. Cheers!

• August 17, 2017 at 12:09 PM

So very true my friend. The goal is simplicity, the avenue is rife with complication. Nowadays we are making it even harder to accomplish. But, it could be so simple. Thank you again my friend

• August 17, 2017 at 6:46 AM

Simplicity-A Plea an appropriate title to this conundrum were under as a society. Man against man, racial horror all over our world. The day of coming together as one at that table to break bread is slowly disappearing. Injustices appears to be the order of the day. Greed and caring only about oneself and not the world at large is sad. Peace not war, love not hate, caring and more giving to one another’s feelings is paramount. RACIAL unrest causing hate towards one another. I come to join you at the table any day Paul, blood is red, skin color should never be the reason not to break bread together. I accept all races of our world, respect all religions, unconditional love. Treat me as I treat you, my Motto. The world is scared, they think everyone wants to hurt them, but I say give love a chance, step out and FREE yourself of fear, show others you care and it’s surprising how much love you will get back in return. But always keep in the front of your mind, be FIRST to reach out, don’t wait for it, because by waiting, we are giving in to fears. Peace my brother, your message was spot on, with your eloquent display of verse here.

• August 17, 2017 at 12:11 PM

Thank you kind sir for your words, and I am glad to have you at the table. Sometimes simple words can cure the world, can it be so simple as to put one foot forward and speak. Thank you again my friend.

• August 18, 2017 at 9:22 AM

Your work seems effortless and enticing.
    You capture the reader with your words and keep them hostage until the last word is read.
    You are truly gifted, so glad you are sharing your gift with others.

• August 24, 2017 at 3:16 PM

• August 24, 2017 at 1:40 PM

I was there with You, walking down with Your words, taking the ride with Your mind thoughts, listening, just listening to Your voice with no words to be spoken… from the moment when earth has been created, till this very moment right now… till the moment next and next… Your words traveled through, and giftedift us a plea, a prayer to save humanity, if we ever accept, respect each others with kindness, if we hold on to that beautiful simplicity with no complexes, simple as hand in hand, with all our differences, one harmony to create our whole life, that ever heavenly peace…
    I wish my language can help me more while I read Your thoughts dear Paul, but I always try my best.

My hand is joined there, holding so kindly, so lovingly, so tight.

• August 24, 2017 at 1:44 PM

I miss the old times, I pray for health, peace and happiness for You and Your precious family, always.

Your friend, Littlesong*

• August 24, 2017 at 3:18 PM

Thank you for stopping by again. I am glad that you enjoyed this my dear friend. I wish we could get by to a civil society where skin tone and creed didn’t separate us but brought us closer to come to the table and talk. The family is well I do thank you again, I wish you well my friend.

• August 27, 2017 at 4:18 AM

I will definitely join you there for a drink of simple water. So good to read your very estimable thoughts again!