New York City Ghosts

In a city with millions,

there are so many stories to tell.

The spirits on the streets of New York City,

have many tales to tell.

So many fears and tears to shed,

when tragedy comes suddenly

and the street is crimson red with blood.

The blood washes and fades away,

but the spirits of the victims rise

and fill the streets,

seeking revenge from those,

who struck them down –

the young and the old.

Down beneath the city,

were the subway tunnels,

are filled with many horrors,

where the spirits of those,

whose life ended beneath a speeding train –

are forever roaming.

They are there and you can feel their pain,

if you only stop and listen and feel,

there are whispers of the lonely –

most everywhere.

Up above on the teeming streets,

if ever your hat is blown from your head,

sometimes it isn’t the wind,

just a friendly reminder,

from a close friend,

that once you were walking side by side,

now they’re forgotten –

because they’ve gone away.

Down by the riverside,

the East and the Hudson,

if you care to take a stroll,

as the sun goes down,

every night there’s a party going on.

When the ghosts of the city,

gather together to share their stories,

if you open up your heart,

if you really care,

you can hear the music they make,

the songs they sing –

mingled with happiness and tears.

In a city of millions,

where strangers live side by side,

where friends come together and play,

there are so many stories to hear,

if you only listen, if you stay,

everywhere the ghostly spirits,

mingle with the living,

for once you make New York City your home –

dead or alive that is where you long to roam.

Rasma Raisters

I am a dreamer, a poet and a writer. These are my passions as well as music. My hometown is NYC. Presently I live in the suburbs of Riga, Latvia with my hubby Martin and our wonderful adopted cat Sid.

Latest posts by Rasma Raisters (see all)

Rasma Raisters

12 thoughts on “New York City Ghosts

• August 11, 2017 at 1:30 AM

This is so heart rending, Rasma. The spirits don’t want to leave their beloved New York. I love this poem. Well done.

• August 11, 2017 at 12:31 PM

Thank you Phyllis. It is a poem that was partly inspired by things I have experienced in NYC and by the great movie Ghost.

• August 11, 2017 at 2:41 AM

Nicely penned and New York being such a large city one can imagine the ghost mingling with the current lives of folk in the streets. New York is I believe unique, I’ve still not got there but from what I’m told it has and individual soul and I relate. Great work Rasma, and it make me want to visit and see for myself. Cheers!

• August 11, 2017 at 12:32 PM

Thank you Tony and a visit at least once in life is completely worth it and should not be missed.

• August 11, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Rasma,

I have been to New York once, and it was such a huge city, full of action night, and day! So many people; so many cars. I enjoyed my visit to N.Y. very much. I was touched by your poem, above.

Your poem brought back memories to me of an accident I witnessed when I was there. A bicyclist fell down, and I was afraid a car might strike the fallen person! The bicyclist was okay, thanks to The Lord! But, there were so many drivers going here, there, and everywhere imaginable in N.Y.! It was fascinating, and overwhelming in an exciting way!

I am so sad for those who are homeless in N.Y., and in every city in this world. It is a very despairing situation. Yes, I can feel their pain. I can feel their hunger. And, I can feel their loneliness 🙁

Thank you for sharing this heartfelt poem, Rasma, filled with reality, poignancy, and that of such a stirring grace.

• August 11, 2017 at 12:34 PM

You welcome Tamara. NYC is my hometown and my heart still belongs there and I so long to stray back.

• August 11, 2017 at 3:47 PM

I love the city I visit every few months to enjoy a stroll in Central Park, a Broadway show or a Yankee game. There is so much down there you could get lost in the night. This is a great piece Rasma.

PS those aren’t ghostly whispers in the subway. Those are bums wandering the tunnels. Lol.

• August 12, 2017 at 4:25 AM

Thank you Paul. lol I love that bums wandering in the tunnels but then again hey some of those bums might be from the spirit world having been run down by a subway lol

• August 11, 2017 at 4:14 PM

As they say, there are a 1000 stories in this naked city. New York, has many of it’s stories lingering in the spirit world indeed. The dead walk among us, we must always remember that, as one day we will be side by side in the nether world. The millions of souls that live in New York and other large cities throughout your country is a testament to how lives are lost on a daily basis, indeed, the crimson red that washes the streets, back alleys, sidewalks and subways are a reality. I remember walking in New York and I stepped over a dead boy laying on the sidewalk, everybody just kept walking like it was a common occurrence. Beautifully penned dear poet, I enjoyed the intensiveness of each verse.

• August 12, 2017 at 4:27 AM

Thank you Vincent. I nighttime walk in NYC is certainly a walk on the wild side.

• August 13, 2017 at 4:12 AM

A delightful read, Rasma. I have never been to New York, so this opened my eyes to it a little. Great imagery. Well done.

• August 14, 2017 at 5:25 AM

Thank you John. If you get to New York you can bet you might meet a ghost or two.