In Your Net, I’m Caught : a Love Story

In Your Net, I’m CaughtIn Your Net I'm Caught

This is meant to be a piece of satire but I realise it is, in fact, a very real situation for perhaps thousands of people today. The Internet is amazing technology that connects people of all races, ages, and sexes, across the world. It also allows people to share intimate details and to virtual date with out actually having to meet in person. This can be a wonderful thing but also fraught with danger and heartbreak for the gullible and unwary.

In Your Net, I’m Caught

Catch me I am falling

Deeper and deeper in love.

Or can I even call it that

When push turns into shove?

You see, I’ve never met you

But we’ve shared our inner thoughts.

I don’t know what you look like,

But in your net, I’m caught.

Our chat is very personal,

More so than in real life.

Things I wouldn’t learn in weeks,

You’ve shared in just one night.

You tell me that you love me,

And want to share my life,

But you’ve never even asked me

If I’m married with a wife.

Appearances they can deceive,

And body language too,

But on the virtual World Wide Web

What I see may not be you.

Maybe I am gullible,

Trust my heart and not my brain.

Lust filled words and compliments

Can drive a man insane.

I ask to chat on webcam,

On Facetime, maybe Skype.

But you say you don’t have them,

You’d prefer that we just type.

You emailed me your photos,

You look so young and pure.

One day we’ll meet in person,

And then I’ll know for sure.

So, catch me I am falling

Deeper and deeper in love,

Or can I even call it that

When push turns into shove?

You see, I’ve never met you,

But we’ve shared our inner thoughts.

At least I’ve seen your photos,

And in your net, I’m caught.

by John Hansen © 2017

the net

John Hansen

After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com.Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction.

Latest posts by John Hansen (see all)

John Hansen

Longtime poet but not in the traditional technical sense. I enjoy rhyme but like to experiment and dabble in many different forms and maybe even make up some of my own. There is always a message or lesson I want to promote through my writing, for that reason, my poetry generally shies away from the abstract and obscure. After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com. Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction. I have also been fortunate to have two poems chosen to be made into songs and recorded. The first "On the Road to Kingdom Come" by Al Wordlaw, and the second, "If I Could Write a Love Poem" by award-winning Israeli/British singer Tally Koren. I am also finding my services increasingly in demand as a freelance writer and I have ghost-written the text for a number of children's books and educational tutorials. It has taken me many years of searching and restlessness to realise that my life's passion is to write. It saddens me that I wasted so many years not devoting to that, but thinking positively, the experiences gained over those years is now wonderful material for my stories and poems. I want to try to bring a new focus on poetry and try to make it appealing to a new generation of young people and those who thought they never liked or understood it before.

21 thoughts on “In Your Net, I’m Caught : a Love Story

• August 6, 2017 at 5:28 AM

This is a fantastic poem, John, about a very common thing that happens in these times. This is excellent with great rhyme and rhythm. Great work, indeed.

• August 6, 2017 at 5:31 AM

Thank you, Phyllis. You are often the first to comment, and it is always greatly appreciated. Yes, this is a very common thing these days as you say. Have a great day.

• August 6, 2017 at 6:36 AM

You couldn’t have picked a better subject to pen on. This poem is timely for many of us, I loved your rhyme and connection to the Net. I’ve been divorced now going on 17 years, single and in the dating world from time to time. I’ve been tempted by the Net as well, caught in it’s world wide web of deceit, lies and untruths. Although I’ve had a few pleasurable moments of meeting with the finer sex, there are also dark moments that I was able to uncover and not be trapped into going there. Your correct when saying John, in your net I’m caught. Because that’s what they are trying to do, catch you to make you pay in some way. It can be a hideous and dangerous adventure for so many and indeed many pay brutally for being caught up in the game. Being a writer, I spend a lot of time at different writing sites, and have found the net filled with people looking for one another for various temptations. But I’ve found way too many lying people on the net who just want you to become part of their baggage. I stay clear of dating sites now and live only in the real world, not the cyber tempting web. Well done John, very timely piece indeed and a message for millions. Be very, very careful out there.

• August 6, 2017 at 9:09 AM

Vincent, thank you for that in-death and honest comment where you share your own experiences on ‘the Net.’ The ‘web’ is the other term (world Wide Web) is also very relevant. The unwary can so easily be caught in the net or web of the unscrupulous or dishonest. Even being married I have experienced this on a number of occasions. No one is immune. Cheers.

• August 6, 2017 at 10:11 AM

So true, John! LOL.

This cute rhyming poem really hits home. I’ve only recently, in the last year, learned about the term, “Catfishing”.

I use to be so naive, and gullible!

• August 6, 2017 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for reading this, Tamara. It is an unfortunate truth that we usually have to experience these things to learn a lesson. The important thing is that we do learn and become wiser. I too only learned of the term “cat fishing” fairly recently as well. Have a great week.

• August 6, 2017 at 1:40 PM

Absolutely awesome poetry. It certainly speaks the truth. It is a dangerous world out there and we can never be sure who is on the other side of the PC when it comes to looking for love.

• August 6, 2017 at 3:10 PM

Thank you, Rasma. Being writers and spending a lot of time n the Internet, I think most of us wold have come in contact with these dangers at some time. I appreciate your generous comment.

• August 6, 2017 at 8:34 PM

So poignant these days, those cyberspace connections we have with people. And its true we become friends and know each other intimately through our discussions and in this circumstance, writing. But what of love; can love be found through this process; I believe yes, but only if there is honesty. I’ve experienced this problem with dating sites: people post ten year old photos, and lie through the teeth. That can lead to disaster, let alone those twisted people who entrap young girls into believing love, when they could be anyone. Nicely penned John, of a subject that is becoming such a problem in many aspects of our cyber-connected world. Cheers!

• August 6, 2017 at 8:46 PM

Yes, Tony, I agree that love can be found through online dating and Internet interaction. But as you say the basis for success is truthfulness right from the start. Any deceit often becomes exaggerated and often leads to disaster. there is always the problem of predators in our world but the Internet just makes it easier for them as they can hide behind their computer, false names, ages, and images. Thanks for reading.

• August 8, 2017 at 7:47 AM

Nice one John. I agree that love can be found on the internet but it is very rare indeed. Most times people get led into a lie. MTV has a show dedicated to this called catfish. The sad truth is that it is a sickness, the catfishers have no remorse for what they do to this already vulnerable individuals, it is quite sad. Excellent work my friend.

• August 8, 2017 at 8:45 AM

Thank you, Paul. I appreciate your comment. Yes, everything you say is spot on.

• August 8, 2017 at 10:14 AM

Great poem, John, and yes, very timely. Although I don’t have much time to be on the net, and when I do, I am usually on writing sites, I can see it as a danger for people looking for meaningful relationships. We all need to learn how to navigate this new world of connections, to understand the person behind the words without actually seeing them. A whole new discipline to learn and teach our children. You did a great job bringing it into focus.

• August 8, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Yes, Emese, this is just part of the world we live in today and something we need to Iearn to understand and be wary of. Thank you for confirming that in your comment. Much appreciated.