Lost

Photo By Kurt James of Midnight Wind Photography

Sometimes we feel lost as we get older and we look back at the actions we took when we were younger. More often than not we will have regrets on those people in our lives, we should have been paying more attention to. We spend time running through our minds on those people we have lost either through time or distance; not because it was their fault. In our youth we think we have unlimited time and in some ways we are everlasting. That mindset, that thought process as we get older is when we realize how truly flawed it is. If only we could invent a time travel machine and use it to move back to that moment in time that we lost that person that you now know was perfect for you. This human condition we call life is downright full of regrets and lost.

I know that I am not alone knowing full well that if I could have just done it a little different, then it would all be different. In the distance, and down through the years I feel in my heart that you think of me as much as I think of you.

Lost
Photo By Kurt James Of Midnight Wind Photography

“LOST”
Lost, the feeling of comfort I had with you,
Quality of life I have only known with – a few.
Lost, knowing your thoughts and mind,
Our dreams walked hand in hand two of a kind.
Lost, are the ways you would look at me,
Knowing each other so well was the key.
Lost, on how our hearts would simply agree,
Of charmed times and what could be.
Lost, the tender moments of just you and me,
Gone forever, like at the time we couldn’t see.
Lost, the future that we should have been dealt,
All of these passionate emotions I feel and – have felt.
By Kurt James

Kurt James © 2017

Follow Kurt James on Face Book and Twitter
Kurt James Novels available in print or download on Amazon

Kurt James

Kurt James

Kurt James was born and raised in the foothills of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. With family roots in western Kansas and having lived in South Dakota for 20 years Kurt James naturally had become an old western and nature enthusiast. Over the years Kurt James has become one of Colorado's prominent nature photographer's through his brand name of Midnight Wind Photography. His poetry has been featured in the Denver Post, PM Magazine and on 9NEWS in Denver, Colorado. Kurt is also a feature writer for Hubpages and Creative Exiles with the article's focused on Colorado history, ghost towns, outlaws, and poetry. Inspired at a young age by writers such as Jack London, Louis L'amour and Max Brand have formed Kurt's natural ability as a story teller. Kurt James "Rocky Mountain" historical fiction series of 3 books that provide western adventure of the early days of the Rocky Mountain frontier and his newly released "Thoughts and Poetry of a Wandering Man" - the (Uniquely Colorado edition) are available in print and download on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads and other fine bookstores. And a few shady bookstores as well. Kurt is currently working on his 4th historical fiction novel "The Keegan Trail" which is set for release in early 2018.
Kurt James

Latest posts by Kurt James (see all)

Kurt James

10 thoughts on “Lost

• August 24, 2017 at 8:46 PM

Yes, Kurt, if only we had a time machine and could go back and mend past hurts and wrong decisions. There is a stack of things I would do again and get right. I loved the intro and poem both. Your writing always touches something within me and I can always relate.

• August 27, 2017 at 1:59 PM

Thank you John for your wonderful comment. Knowing that you the poet is touched by some of my words is the most perfect compliment I could ever have.

• August 24, 2017 at 9:42 PM

So many people we lose throughout life and we do not realize till they are gone just how much they meant to us. It seems the older we get the stronger those memories and regrets are. Very nice intro and poem, Kurt. I really like it.

• August 27, 2017 at 2:01 PM

As we both know Phyllis looking back at ones life is one of the most difficult and sometimes painful things we do. Thank you for stopping by.

• August 25, 2017 at 11:05 AM

Beautifully expressed in verse my friend. Yes indeed a Time Machine would be wonderful, I would jump in it and go back to my youth and make changes in the home of abuse I grew up with. Like John, I too would have made changes, taken different direction, not have hung out with the bad boys I did. Yet even if I was able to make those changes, our creator has a destiny for us from our inception, so would it have made a big difference, it certainly would have made me more happier, but regardless, I truly believe our course is set from day one. The older we get the more we reflect back on our past, I hate to live in them, but write about them as I do, that gift was given to me I believe for a soul healing purpose. I have my scars like many, but I live my life now day by day. Love those around me, try my best to make a difference in my daily walk here. Having memories to draw on is a wonderful blessing, I can close my eyes and spend all day in those, but it’s nice to come back to the present. It would be fun though, going back in time for many, many reasons. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us Kurt, I’m living in the present,but love exploring my past from time to time.

• August 27, 2017 at 2:04 PM

You are correct Vincent about changing the past – maybe it was always meant to be the way it was to shape as the people that we have become. Food for thought for the poet in us all.

• August 25, 2017 at 1:35 PM

Too many people we lose with not enough time. Great poetry as always Kurt. It is too bad we cant fix certain things of our past.

• August 27, 2017 at 2:05 PM

Sometimes Paul we all stop and look back over our shoulder and think about the – should have, would have, and the could have. Thanks for stopping by.

• August 25, 2017 at 2:03 PM

Kurt,

I am sort of been feeling this way, lately. Thus, your words bring tears to my eyes in that I am not alone. It is not so much about regrets for me, as it is concerning the question of what I should do next…

• August 27, 2017 at 2:06 PM

For a poet to bring tears is good for the poet, but, maybe not so good for the reader of the poetry. I am sending healing and positive thoughts your way Tamara.