When My Mother Passed

When My Mother Passed
When My Mother Passed

And so with heart-felt pain
a soul in loss departed earth
to journey on that path we attest
but in our mind arrests
our futile hopes and dreams,
for until our turn no knowledge earned
can feed our wanting souls,
just an inkling of the flow of life,
the endless change and end to strife
when death knocks on our door.

I watched with uncertainty,
lost in the agony of separation,
and the flesh falls still,
the soul arisen to begin its transformation,
and remnants walk the halls confused,
I spoke and she listened, yet
bemused by the doubts in her mind,
returned to the flesh
as if to re-enter her sleeping bed,
knowing then she observed herself, dead.

She lingered not,
my words enough for calm,
so she followed the light and departed,
and me, tears like a flood
could see just my aching soul,
loss my burden, life my resolve,
as a room of wailing crumpled beings,
shed their pain to a lifeless corpse,
a vessel emptied complete,
as day turned to night, to reap.

Her journey yet begun,
far from earth and flesh and suffering,
I hoped for her heart, her transformation,
and wondered what awaits, as we do,
when night removes our thoughts
and stillness seals our dreams,
hoping reunited themes,
gatherings of souls touch by life,
joyous in their plight, was all I wished,
when my mother passed.

Tony DeLorger © 2017

Website: my book for review and purchase

Tony De Lorger

Latest posts by Tony De Lorger (see all)

Tony De Lorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Twenty one published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au videos on YouTube and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

6 thoughts on “When My Mother Passed

• July 12, 2017 at 11:51 PM

So beautifully written with deep spiritual thoughts. It brings back those moments after my mother passed and peace filled the room. For several seconds I felt that serenity, then the tears came. Very touching and great work, Tony.

• July 12, 2017 at 11:56 PM

Much appreciated Phyllis, yes, these experiences never leave us. Thank you my friend.

• July 13, 2017 at 6:58 AM

Death of a loved one is one of the saddest occurrence in our lives. I felt your loss and pain Tony. Yet death is but a journey through the veil of time, a peacefulness so sublime. I’ve been witness to one passing through it and sensed the completeness of the end. The person passing over, had a calmness, an acceptance of leaving this world and entering another. I use to fear death years ago, but no more, to be honest, at times I was ready for it. Like a deep sleep, we do not know, nor will be feel the pain any longer, it ceases, the bodies shell is left behind and we look down and see it there. We now take on a body anew and enter the spiritual realm. The last words of Steve Jobs was, Wow, Wow, Wow, It makes one wonder what did he see? Peace my brother, peace at last.

• July 13, 2017 at 8:04 PM

Thanks Vincent, and I too do not fear death at all and look forward to the continuation of the journey. Take care my friend.

• July 13, 2017 at 7:20 AM

Very emotional piece my friend. It is so hard to deal with when death comes knocking at your door. I know when my mother eventually goes, I will be a hot, teary mess. The connection between mother and son is such a strong bond. I specifically loved these lines in the piece, “when night removes our thoughts and stillness seals our dreams,” scary yet so serene. Here’s to hopes she is in a better place my friend. Excellent work as always.

• July 13, 2017 at 8:05 PM

Much appreciated Paul, so pleased you enjoyed the piece. Cheers!