Untouched Softness, Winter’s First Snowfall

Untouched Softness

untouched softness

Untouched softness of winter’s first snowfall,
I love to watch as it slowly sails down,
More pure and whiter then pearls
Which grace a monarch’s crown,
Though the snow looks so freezing,
And many do surely frown.

Snowflakes light like a feathery down
Upon bare limbs of trees,
And on the dry and withered flowers
That sway in the breeze,
Now wearing bright white robes
As summer never sees.

Pleasant memories stir within me,
Of quiet and softly falling snow,
As the Grey neighs, and bells jingle,
In days of so long ago,
When joy of being together
Touched the heart and soul.

Again the first snow gives promises
Of quiet times once more,
When sitting by the hearth in bliss,
Sublime bliss of love when day is o’re.
With a loved one in twilight glow,
Nothing is more dear than this.
~~~~

It is quite early for a snowfall here where I live, yet the weatherman has predicted snow for next week. I love that untouched softness of winter’s first snowfall and got a bit nostalgic.

Please feel free to critique.

© 2017 Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Site Manager, Senior Editor at The Creative Exiles
I have always liked to write.It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.
Phyllis Doyle Burns

Latest posts by Phyllis Doyle Burns (see all)

Phyllis Doyle Burns

I have always liked to write. It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.

6 thoughts on “Untouched Softness, Winter’s First Snowfall

• July 30, 2017 at 1:19 AM

Nicely penned and evocative of beauteous snow, not something I’ve ever lived with but experienced over seas. Its so cold here right now it may as well snow, at least it would be beautiful, not just cold. lol great work Phyllis.

• July 30, 2017 at 6:29 AM

A little too early here on the Canadian Prairies for the white carpet of winter. Although your poem brought a bit of a chill to my soul. It’s not one of my favorite seasons, I love the snow, it can fall, stay for awhile, then leave like summer thaw. My seasons are Summer and Fall and that’s all. Beautiful poem though Phyllis, loved the flow. Our NZ and Aussie friends are starting or in their winter months, so it will be more fitting for them. Snow is okay, but cold wind, icey pads, not for me.

• July 30, 2017 at 8:39 AM

I sure understand that, Vincent. I love that first snowfall, but I don’t like constant snow. Here in Nevada it usually snows overnight and is so lovely in the early morning, then is gone by mid afternoon. The last really heavy snows that lasted all winter was back in 1996 – we had snow three feet deep until June. Now that was not fun at all. Thanks for the visit and comment, Vincent.

Yes, NZ and Australia are opposite seasons. I love it when in the middle of my hot summer, to read one of Tony’s weather reports about a blustery winter storm, or a gorgeous summer day when I am freezing in winter.

• July 31, 2017 at 1:06 AM

Way too early here in NY. I like the first snow and then no more. It give a beautiful stillness to the earth. But after experiencing that every year, im done. It becomes tedious and treacherous. You poetry was beautiful in this piece Phyllis. Nice work.

• July 31, 2017 at 1:24 AM

Thank you, Paul, I appreciate it. I am with you – that first snowfall is beautiful, then I’m over it. It is always good to hear from you, thank you.