Swinging In Winter

Rolling down short mountains as live snow balls just give me the thrills

Look out frosty, I’ll run you over and knock that carrot off your face. Yes your nose.

But worry not, some kid will rebuild you and make you even bigger and give you clothes

Little kids with cherry cheeks rolling and polling on the ground

While decorated lights keeps flashing all around

Grumpy Grandpa Bill hates the snow, it makes him work a lot

He keeps shouting “Bah Humbug!” as he shovels away the snow moving as quickly as a sloth

Shivering and shakes, the winter makes us do

Sitting and cuddling by the fire place, telling tales old and new

Scarfs and Jackets make plenty, suddenly everyone has the same trend

Boots and coats will be your new best friend

But how can I enjoy the winter without visiting my favorite park

Once grandly green, now transformed into a frozen spark

Here is my swing, cold and still

No squeaks from the chains, but snowy it stands still

I think I will take a swing

Probably the last one for the winter as the temperature grows even more biting

Ah yes, this is something that I really like to do

Makes me enter a special place and forget my troubles too

The cold air grabs on to my face and slows my blinks

But doesn’t stop my brain from imagining beautiful things

A few snowmen pass, probably wondering if I have lost it

But they don’t understand my winter bliss

This winter swing brings me to my special little place

Where the world is bound by love, loyalty and grace

Clive Williams

Latest posts by Clive Williams (see all)

11 thoughts on “Swinging In Winter

• July 13, 2017 at 7:28 AM

First off, a big welcome to the site Clive Williams, nice to have you here. As for Winter it’s one of my least favorite, except for the snow, the ice and bitter cold can go south;-) But as you offer up here a full descriptive account of the frolic to be had with family and friends, sledding, snowballing each other and Old Frosty the snowman joining in the fun. I remember sleighing down the hills with my kids and that was a lot of fun too. Playing ice hockey most of my life, I truly enjoyed. However being your northern neighbor up here in Canada in winter months is not so much fun. Especially when the temperatures drop to minus -35 in some cities. So my friend, turn up the heat. I LOVE SUMMER and FALL. Nice expressions here of winter Clive, I truly enjoyed it.

• July 13, 2017 at 7:42 AM

Clive, I have never even experienced snow, but you make it sound like a lot of fun. Maybe I am missing something.

• July 13, 2017 at 8:05 AM

Welcome to the site Clive. I am not one for snow at all, but this isn’t really about snow after all right. I enjoyed your build up to why winter gave you the chills how it brought into your world a sense of love and peace, and P.S. you are nuts being out there in the snow swinging away like a little kid, but to each their own. Nice work.

• July 13, 2017 at 9:44 AM

@john Hanson…well, Australia is a place I have never been and I would probaly want to go there before I kick the bucket. I don’t live in snow, But I have experienced it.

• July 13, 2017 at 9:45 AM

@Vincent…I totally get it Vincent. Not many people fancy the cold. But there is fun in everthing the world gives.

• July 13, 2017 at 2:20 PM

I love snowy days! I can remember swinging on a day like that, my face turning so cold, but kept right on swinging. This is a great poem all about playing on a lovely winter’s day. Well done, Clive.

• July 13, 2017 at 9:34 PM

Never lived in snow, but have of course experienced it. For kids a wonderland, for us oldies just aches and pains. lol Enjoyed it.

• July 14, 2017 at 7:29 PM

Fellow “winter person” here Clive – the Idaho mountains might suit you as they do me. Nice work, and so refreshing while right in the center of summer. Welcome to the site – let me know if I can be of any help for technical issues and such.