‘Free the Sun July’

Free the sun July, refers to the month of July which is a winter month in the Southern hemisphere. This piece of poetry by Pearldiver, explores the depth of relationships between the heart of winter, that of the subject and that of a child of summer.

"Free The Sun"
Life returns after winter’s demise

‘Free the Sun’

Happy Birthday you despicably

cold-hearted bitch July!

Remember when you thrust

a chef’s knife into the chest

of your summer conception

Your frozen breath clouding

those curled frosty thin lips

distorting the face of your contempt

As surely as new born blades of grass

bitten by your chill, wither in retort

I will piss on your frigid, bare grave

my spring to melt all your pretentiousness

your masked bitterness, spitefully forged

Forever, I will wash July away!

So I may save the sun you tried to kill

That winter’s day…

*~ Pearldiver ~

Copyright © 2015 Rob Welsh- Pearldiver with all rights reserved

Latest posts by Rob Welsh (see all)
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

13 thoughts on “‘Free the Sun July’

• July 30, 2017 at 4:08 PM

Why hello stranger… Thank you for that Rasma, yes it’s a horrible month here and doesn’t deserve any less! Good to see you, so pleased you still read and enjoy my scribbling Rasma… take care

• July 30, 2017 at 3:57 PM

Such intense, formidable conviction on how you feel about July, Rob. Powerful expression and well penned. I love it !

• July 30, 2017 at 4:17 PM

Thank you Phyllis, I thought a change in style was in order plus I hate July and what it stands for here! Cheers for your positive, always welcome review..

• July 30, 2017 at 7:08 PM

Wow a pissed off poet lamenting on the cursed July. I would be with your brother on this one, although not in my time zone, as July is one of our hottest summer months. My A/C is on high today because of the plague of July;-)) Winter is the least of my favorite seasons, snow, ice and bitter chill can take a pill. So blast through July my friend, pull up your long johns and keep the logs a blazing on the hearth to keep the damp chill from entering your home. Beautifully penned Rob, indeed a pleasant change, nonetheless, your poetry is stirring, no matter the subject. Bravo.

• August 1, 2017 at 12:17 AM

Hi Vincent, when I skied I used to love July and its ability to share the purity of fresh snow. But moods often change as we see with global warming and nature’s worldwide response to the arrogance of mankind. Today is August and we are heading now towards Spring – so July, consider yourself washed away your significance has been lost to time! Glad you liked this piece my friend.. take care

• July 30, 2017 at 11:43 PM

Yes, so relate to these sentiments Rob, its been a shitty winter here and I miss the sun. So beautifully penned with attitude, of the dismal July of our present. Looking forward to dry and sunny days too. Great work mate!

• August 1, 2017 at 12:27 AM

Hi Tony, of course we get your weather pattern which passes across the Tasman Sea gathering in its intensity. This has been a horrible Winter month this year alright. Ditto on the sunny days.. Glad you enjoyed this heated piece… take care

• July 31, 2017 at 5:32 AM

I could almost feel your bitter contempt thousands of miles away! Passionately and beautifully written, Rob – and I can say that even though I love the cold and hate the heat!

• August 1, 2017 at 12:41 AM

Hi Shalini, I’m glad that showed through, it means I have achieved the result I wanted with this piece. I don’t mind cold, I just abhor bitterly cold… no love can survive permanently in those conditions. Cheers for your positive review Shalini, glad you enjoyed this piece… you take care

• August 1, 2017 at 6:29 AM

I hate winter and all your anger towards it I completely agree with. First snow…ok, every other one after that sucks. Road conditions worsen, snowblowing sucks and there is no way to get away except to coup yourself in the house. Winter sucks. Totally agree.

• August 2, 2017 at 1:29 PM

Hi Paul. I guess harsh winter conditions are quite comfortable for those who tend to be covered with body hair – but thankfully I was late when that fashion was the norm. This piece is not primarily written solely for the season, but uses Winter to emphasize an act of betrayal… Didn’t pick up that one huh? Cheers for your approval of this piece… take care

• August 8, 2017 at 12:45 PM

Hi Rob,

I am really glad that my name is not “July”.

This is a richly beautiful vicious poem. I really like it, too! I’d like to introduce you to some people that I know who haven’t been very kind to me… (just kidding, of course).

Yes! Very well expressed, and dangerously gripping in its passion of your hate for July. (LOL).

I really like it a LOT!!