Death In His Eyes

He had death in his eyes.
The type of death that men avoid.
The kind of death some deserve.
Unnatural and heavy-handed,
Violent, cruel, hate-filled, and vengeful.
When it comes their time,
It’s up-close, and all-consuming
Eyes of the darkest black.
Bottomless, hypnotic;
Luring them in and taking pleasures
Of the flesh, the mind, and the soul.
Blindly they follow, led to slaughter.
The predators becoming the prey.
Beneath lies the truer intention.
An emotionless gaze of forged steel
So hard, so unforgiving; simply blank.
When those eyes meet,
The eyes of the accused,
Wicked mortals; diabolical
At first confusion, which quick-steps to
Understanding, fear, and more fear
Black pupils unleashing a power
Boring deep into a man’s soul
Waking the sleeping giants
Gleefully ripping healing wounds
Tearing through mended fences
Plowing the fertile field of secrets
Digging into the deepest memories
Moments of comfort shattered
Safe spaces reduced to ash,
No stone untouched,
Thoughts perverted and twisted
Thoughts of evil whispered in the night
Thoughts too revealing transferred
Pain, suffering, anguish, burning,
Unholy and without remorse
The heat suffocates and permeates
Reflections of flames
Thick billowing acrid smoke
Stench of sulfur and brimstone
And endless agonizing screams
Hell, imprinted on their psyche
Soul under his control
Pleasurably pulling the puppet strings
No limitations to his debauchery
Darkness seeping from their every pore
Infecting, infesting, destroying, digesting
Consuming everything
Death in every vision
Until he tires of this plaything
And brings him or her home
To burn for all eternity

Author’s Note

For more poetry like this, visit www.thegypsythread.org

R J Schwartz

I write about everything and sometimes nothing at all.I'm fascinated by old things, rusty things, abandoned places, or anywhere that a secret might be unearthed.I'm passionate about history and many of my pieces are anchored in one concept of time or another.I've always been a writer, dating back to my youth, but the last decade has been a time of growth for me.I'm continually pushing the limitations of vocabulary, syntax, and descriptive phrasing.

Latest posts by R J Schwartz (see all)

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail

R J Schwartz

I write about everything and sometimes nothing at all. I'm fascinated by old things, rusty things, abandoned places, or anywhere that a secret might be unearthed. I'm passionate about history and many of my pieces are anchored in one concept of time or another. I've always been a writer, dating back to my youth, but the last decade has been a time of growth for me. I'm continually pushing the limitations of vocabulary, syntax, and descriptive phrasing.

9 thoughts on “Death In His Eyes

• July 30, 2017 at 3:10 PM

Beyond chilling and frightening – it is terrifying, horrifying, hellish evil ! Oh what punishment the lost souls must suffer. Your emphasis on strong phrasing makes this a powerful masterpiece, Ralph. Your chosen images are superb, befittingly portray the terror of evil. My gosh !

• July 30, 2017 at 5:24 PM

A masterful piece of evil.. Well done my friend. I have to admit I am a tad leery of you now…lol

• July 30, 2017 at 6:27 PM

I had to read again – it is so wicked, so dark, it sends chills down my spine. I had a great laugh at Kurt’s comment “a tad leery of you now”. That is so funny. Ralph you are a master of words.

• July 30, 2017 at 8:17 PM

You visually sent me into a different world with this evil of all evilness. If there be such a place, it’s not one that I would readily accept an invitation too sojourn. You ought get together with Stephen King, this could transpire into a masterful devilish movie. How frightful to imagine a soul being placed there to feel every second of wrath from the evil one. Maybe there is some hope for the converted ones, a more fluffy place with angel wings, feathers and harps. But if not, then I won’t be alone, I have a lot of old rowdy friends who already have punched their ticket to hell. Fantastic work Ralph, but I’m happy to have left your page and take a deep breath. LOL

• July 30, 2017 at 11:35 PM

A visual nightmare of all that is evil Ralph, so well penned and evocative of the darkness in many souls. A great write filled with stark imagery and wonderful phrasing to bring that fear and darkness to the surface. Well done my friend.

• July 31, 2017 at 9:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback – I guess I shouldn’t write after watching scary movies…he he he

• August 1, 2017 at 6:38 AM

Ralph this was an amazing piece. Shows the torture one can look forward to if down is their final destination. Just makes you wonder how far one could fall from God’s Grace. I loved it Ralph.

• August 8, 2017 at 12:18 PM

Ralph,

Ewww! It’s scary! I think I know this person, too!

Wonderfully descriptive in horrifying detail is this poem of yours.

I am thoroughly terrorized, and not only will I sleep with all the lights on, but I am now seriously thinking about adopting a vicious guard-dog. I have dogs that are protective, but I am considering a dog that will rip limbs off of the above intruder, and eat these limbs, if only as a mere appetizer (this way, I will not have to clean up the mess).

Right now, as I write this, I am hiding beneath the covers on my bed.

• August 18, 2017 at 4:49 PM

This is truly a horror to behold; it is brilliant. I came acrossed it, again, and had to comment, again, in honor of such powerful words that make my very skin crawl, and my heart want to leap out of my chest in order to find a safe hiding place. Thrilling!

I wish to save this in Pinterest!

You might consider writing for horror movies, if you do not do so already…like Steven King does. Your writing is much more scary than anything I have ever read from any other.