Soul Searching Beyond the Veil

Soul Searching Beyond the Veil

soul searching
Beyond the Veil

Soul searching beyond the veil
Is where I go when life is confusing,
When I have been hurt to the core
Due to my own dreams,
Dreams that filled me
With something to hold on to.

Unbidden and not planned,
Dreams came during deep slumber,
Showing a life of peace and joy,
A life full of love and happiness,
That reigned for eternity,
And settled in my soul.

I do not question the dreams
And what they hold for me,
But question my self for the way
I made known my thoughts
When I maybe should have
Kept them to myself.

The candor in which my emotions
Were expressed was far too open
And frank, when discretion was called for,
And private information
Should have been kept within
My heart and soul.

Soul searching will take some time
Before I am able to rise up again,
Able to forgive myself,
Go forward with faith in myself,
And remember there is a time
To express and a time to be silent.

I enter into the silence
Of my own little nook
Beyond the veil
And listen to the voice
Of my soul.

~~~~

© 2017 Phyllis Doyle Burns

“Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself, and know that everything in life has purpose. There are no mistakes, no coincidences, all events are blessings given to us to learn from.”

– Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Site Manager, Senior Editor at The Creative Exiles
I have always liked to write.It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.
Phyllis Doyle Burns

Latest posts by Phyllis Doyle Burns (see all)

Phyllis Doyle Burns

I have always liked to write. It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.

6 thoughts on “Soul Searching Beyond the Veil

• June 13, 2017 at 4:11 PM

Sometimes that little voice of your soul is the only one that matters and if it tells you not yet, then not yet. I know it is hard to hold back sometimes and sometimes it is hard to express but, when the time is right, the soul knows what is right. Nicely penned Phyllis

• June 13, 2017 at 5:05 PM

Thank you so very much, Paul, for such an uplifting comment. You brought a happy tear to my eye.

• June 15, 2017 at 9:40 PM

If your behind the veil, look around for me…I’m there a lot, just like you…thinking and sometimes arguing with that voice in my head about what I’m about to do next. I really enjoyed this work – thanks for sharing.

• June 15, 2017 at 9:49 PM

Oh so happy you like this and related, Ralph. Thought it was my imagination when I spotted you somewhere behind that veil. You so sly at camouflage! Thank you for joining me there.

• July 12, 2017 at 8:16 PM

Artistic souls often hide behind their veil, I’ve often been there, sometimes down on my knees crying out to the unknown. When things just aren’t going right, it places obstacles before us that we have to tackle and defeat somehow. For me it’s been the loss of my children in my life over the years, I’ve come to term with that loss, but at times, just an image or a tender moment on a program I’m watching on the t.v. can bring tears to my eyes, especially if it’s related in anyway to a father and his child. But as in the quote you provided by Elisabeth Kubler- Ross, everything in life has a purpose, so I wait, my door and heart always open to those lost ones absent in my life. Excellent poem Phyllis, it brought out a sensitive side in you, and your feelings of expressions were felt. Well done.

• July 12, 2017 at 9:49 PM

Thank you, Vincent. Families breaking apart is never an easy thing to live with. It happens a lot. Glad you were able to come to terms with it, even though there are moments to cry. Take care.