Token of Love and Beauty, the Rose

Token of Love and Beauty, the Rose …

token of love
Red Rose, a token of love and beauty

A Token of my Love

A red red rose I give to you, a token of my love,
Be kind to it, let it not wilt, for it comes from my heart,
The rose touches me gently, petals in the warm waters,
I sink down into the fragrance, as the petals caress me
With velvety softness of deep red they gather round me.
Tis but your love that ever surrounds me with your amatory embrace,
Enfold me then in arms so safe and strong, gently let me sink,
Into your mood, into your heart, to lay in the heavenly fragrance
Of love so divine, of petals so soft, that take me away,
Take me with you to gardens of beauty beyond all senses,
Let me soar and fly ever higher with this token of love,
Then give to me a red red rose, from the petals of your heart.

~~~

The rose has always been a token of love and beauty. The ancient ones knew about the powerful energies of the rose. For centuries  the rose has been used in medicines for it’s beneficial properties, it also has always been appreciated for the beautiful and romantic fragrance and intoxicating aroma.

Who can resist such a lovely, heavenly fragrance? Walk through an Old-World rose garden with someone you are attracted to and love will certainly bloom. How can it not in the presence of such beauty? Robert Burns knew well that ‘love is like a red red rose’. His poem is timeless and still given or recited to a beloved today as a special gift along with a red rose, the symbol of love. The fragrance alone can sometimes turn one’s thoughts to love and romantic interludes.

The rose, especially a deep red with potent fragrance, is the epitome of erotica in art, poems, and expressions of love.

~~~

© 2017 Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Site Manager, Senior Editor at The Creative Exiles
I have always liked to write.It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.
Phyllis Doyle Burns

Latest posts by Phyllis Doyle Burns (see all)

Phyllis Doyle Burns

I have always liked to write. It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.

18 thoughts on “Token of Love and Beauty, the Rose

• May 24, 2017 at 3:23 AM

Red roses speak of love and happiness, as it was meant to be. Enjoyed this piece very much Phyllis.

• May 24, 2017 at 3:50 AM

Beautiful poetry of love, Phyllis. A red rose is the perfect symbol to express it.

• May 24, 2017 at 11:56 AM

Beautiful Phyllis, who can resist the timeless symbol of the rose? I love how you followed your piece with a reference to Robert Burns’ work, rather than an intro, a great way to engage the reader to then consider his piece, and other rose refrences as well. Very well crafted and a pure joy to read as a whole.

Best,
    Mel

• May 24, 2017 at 1:57 PM

Enjoyed this piece Phyllis – anything about roses and love is nearly irresistible.

• May 24, 2017 at 6:47 PM

So well penned Phyllis, with lilting phrases that emote the beauty of love and the rose that has long been its expression. great work my friend.

• May 25, 2017 at 6:52 AM

Loved this Phyllis. Such wonderful and expressive poetry with thoughts of lovely blooming roses in summertime.

• May 25, 2017 at 11:45 AM

Beautiful and romantic, your words speak of the beauty of love that a rose can emit. Excellent work Phyllis. ~Paul

• July 19, 2017 at 9:40 PM

I agree with everyone above, Roses are a gift of love to mankind. I especially enjoyed these lines, as well as the whole poem. “Enfold me then in arms so safe and strong, gently let me sink,
    Into your mood, into your heart, to lay in the heavenly fragrance.” Very loving words indeed, to sink into one’s mood is so beautifully mellow Phyllis. I love roses and most especially the most deepest RED ones, they move me in many ways. I also love the fragrance of Lavender, it too is my favorite scent too. Well written and composed, the tale of a Rose.

• July 19, 2017 at 11:06 PM

Thank you so much, dear poet Vincent. Your lovely compliments lift my spirit. The red rose is probably the most written about flower ever, for it conveys love, which is the core of life. Take care.

• July 31, 2017 at 12:17 AM

Phyllis,

This is so beautifully romantic. It is also a very pretty poem, like the sweet ringing of a bell, or the high notes on a piano. It’s so wonderful.

• July 31, 2017 at 12:33 AM

Thank you so much, dear Tamara, for your kind words. This is one of my favorite poems. It just seemed to write itself. So glad you enjoyed it.