Ancient Bards – Poetry

Tell us of the ancient bards,
Sing to us, Euterpe, Muse of song,
Daughter of Mnemosyne, fathered by Zeus,
Tell us of the learned poets and tellers of stories,
Who told of the bravery of tribal warriors
Who fought and died for clan and country.

ancient bards

The Bard (ca. 1817), painting by John Martin

~~

Bards who stood before kings and chieftains,
Gave them immortality with great stories
Only a bard could compose,
Stories of great deeds and victories
Those leaders accomplished in life,
Deeds that made them infamous.

Great power the bards had with words
That would give fame to victorious kings,
Or shame to defeated enemies,
Such as the Bard of Avon
Who brought tragedy to King Lear,
Or Taliesen who immortalized King Arthur.

The Bard of Ayrshire gave us the famous
Tribute to love with a Red Red Rose,
A devotion to eternal love,
Oh, what words more beautiful than
“And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a’ the seas gang dry.”

And we, The Bards of TCE,
Are but descendants of these ancient bards
And many more, whose words of love,
Bravery and kind deeds
Made them immortal, as our words
Will in time make us immortal.
~~~

© 2017 Phyllis Doyle Burns

ancient bards
The Book of Taliesen

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Site Manager, Senior Editor at The Creative Exiles
I have always liked to write.It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.
Phyllis Doyle Burns

Latest posts by Phyllis Doyle Burns (see all)

Phyllis Doyle Burns

I have always liked to write. It is important to me that I write with spirit and heart. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.

6 thoughts on “Ancient Bards – Poetry

• May 6, 2017 at 9:30 PM

Lovely Phyllis, of the ancients, our predecessors, who in their words sought immortality, as we in our renderings seek longevity, to be remembered for our thoughts and poetic expression. great work.

• May 6, 2017 at 9:36 PM

Ah! Thank you, Tony. Yes, we do seek that, don’t we? I had fun with this poem, it just flowed out naturally. So pleased you like it. Take care.

• August 25, 2017 at 1:42 PM

Phyllis,

Though this is so intellectually written, I can feel the beauty and passion in it. The last paragraph especially speaks to me in its depiction of “immortality” of our words of today,, as it was “bravery and kindness” of the ancients.

• August 25, 2017 at 1:57 PM

Thank you very much, Tamara. Yes, some day our poetry will ring in the halls of history. So glad you enjoyed this poem.

• August 25, 2017 at 2:10 PM

Phyllis,

I would like this to be so. Thus, when TCE gets ready to publish another book, I would be greatly honored to be included! I want something to leave my sons; this is why this is so important to me. Your own poem, here, inspires me to keep writing!

Even in my poems about Narcissists, and the like, I am trying to educate my boys so they’ll be able to better protect themselves in life. And, all my other subjects, as well, I am speaking to my young adult men (my sons).

I do not have much material items to leave them as I live a simple life, (or else I get too overwhelmed). So, I want to leave them my words.

This is my goal.

Thank you, Phyllis, for inspiring me 🙂

• August 25, 2017 at 3:02 PM

That is admirable, Tamara, to leave your sons a legacy with your words of poetry. Please make sure to read the next newsletter, 8/31, for I have included my thoughts on memoirs for our descendants. I am very pleased my Ancient Bards has inspired you. Thank you for that honor.