Fathers Kiss

Fathers Kisswas written many years ago after my wife and I had gone through a divorce. From this union I have three very wonderful kids Eric, Matt, and Larisa. It was a difficult time in all of our lives and I probably did not make it any easier in deciding to move out of the state of South Dakota back to my birth state of Colorado. Looking back on those days, of course, in hindsight, I would have handled things differently than I did at the time, but at the time I thought it was the best for all involved. Right or wrong the separation in miles created hurt feelings and even to this day, many years later they raise their ugly head from time to time. During that time my love for my children never faltered and the poem below and a few others came out of those stressful days.

“Fathers Kiss”
When the stars shine bright and the wind is at its peak,
Let it blow through your hair and onto your cheek.
The breeze has a message for you to hear,
Not for a minute or a day, but year after year.
Over the mountains, over the creek,
Only for my daughter Larisa will the message seek.
You must believe and close your eyes,
Spread out your arms and face the sky.
Slowly turn in the midnight wind,
You will hear and feel it gather in.
Over the miles of prairie and grass,
A Father’s love for you will begin to mass.
Every minute of every day, I send a Father’s love to you,
Close your eyes, face the sky and you will feel them too.
Miles are great, it is my Daughter I miss,
Until I see you again, let the midnight wind be a Father’s kiss.
By Kurt James

Kurt James © 2017
Kurt James Novels are available on Amazon and other fine book stores.

Kurt James

Kurt James was born and raised in the foothills of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. With family roots in western Kansas and having lived in South Dakota for 20 years Kurt naturally had become an old western and nature enthusiast. Over the years Kurt has become one of Colorado’s prominent nature photographer’s through his brand name of Midnight Wind Photography. His poetry has been featured in the Denver Post, PM Magazine and on 9NEWS in Denver, Colorado. Kurt is also a feature writer for HubPages and Creative Exiles with the article’s focused on Colorado history, ghost towns, outlaws, and poetry. Inspired at a young age by writers such as Jack London, Louis L’Amour and Max Brand have formed Kurt’s natural ability as a storyteller. Kurt has published 5 novels all based in and around the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Using the Midnight Wind Publishing brand Kurt has also released a poetry collection - Poetry and Thoughts of a Wandering Man - (Uniquely Colorado edition) and now this collection - Poetry and Reflections of a Wandering Man (Random Thoughts edition) all are available in print or download on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads and other fine bookstores. And a few shady bookstores as well. Kurt is working on his 6th Colorado adventure tale novel “Conner’s Saga”.
Kurt James

Latest posts by Kurt James (see all)

Kurt James

12 thoughts on “Fathers Kiss

• April 7, 2017 at 8:54 PM

A lovely verse to your beloved daughter, Kurt. I bet she still and always will treasure it. Very nicely penned showing such beauty of your love for her.

• April 8, 2017 at 5:53 AM

Thank you Phyllis for stopping by….

• April 8, 2017 at 1:04 AM

Ah! How I have missed reading your poetries! Give me a day or two and I will get back to the poems that I have missed. Perhaps this Sunday.

A very loving poem filled with inexplicable emotions … charm … innocence …! You have a golden heart, my Dear Kurt. Treasure this! Agreed, recapitulating the past can be tough sometimes, especially when the roses seem dried out. But its fragrance still lingers on even in the darkest of times. Every pain and every juncture of life teaches us to stay calm … like a peaceful river flowing in the garden of a bard. Everything that happens, happens for the good. Everything that is happening, is happening for the good. And everything that will happen, will also happen for the good only. A ‘Zen’ mind remains unperturbed even in the trials and tribulations. Remain the way you are, Dear One. You have a lot to offer to the world through your soulful poetries.

It requires inner-warmth and gentleness to pen down those thoughts that you have up there for your daughter. I am sure she loves you as much as you love her. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your poem. Hugs!

• April 8, 2017 at 5:57 AM

Surabhi you are like an angle to me, either you make me smile or feel good by reading your very thoughtful and thought provoking poetry or you leave a comment on one of mine such as the one above. I must be doing something correct in my life to have a friend such as yourself. Once again you have made my day. Thank you for stopping by.

• April 8, 2017 at 1:50 AM

Nicely emotive and heart-felt in that position of being parted from one’s children. Divorces are never good, and we all learn from our mistakes . No-one said life would be easy, and that’s certainly true. great work Kurt.

• April 8, 2017 at 5:58 AM

I am the one Tony when they said “life is not easy” was written about. Thank you for stopping by.

• April 8, 2017 at 12:05 PM

Always look forward to hearing from you John and thank you for stopping by.

• April 8, 2017 at 11:22 AM

This was but another wonderful piece – so full of expressive love that it overflows

• April 8, 2017 at 12:06 PM

So emotive Kurt, the wind blows that kiss from sadness and transforms to happiness upon receipt. Divorce is ugly, there is no other way to describe it. So many suffer. Time will heal my friend, you keep sending out those Kisses, rest assured they will find their way. ~Paul

• April 8, 2017 at 12:07 PM

Thank you Paul for your very kind words..

• April 8, 2017 at 12:06 PM

Much thanks Ralph, nice to know a respected poet as yourself found what I was trying to express…