Woman Recollects On Life

Woman Recollects

Woman Recollects
Recollections on Life

Tender heart beneath that beauty abides,
Let it not be torn or suffer a wound,
She has lived long, now too old for love, hides
Her feelings, for the end will come too soon,
Would that a greater love maybe subsides
Yet among her shortened days of life,
That one love she waited for all along
Her true eternal love she does belong.

Looking back over life she remembers
A time when a love was supposed to last
Forever, but only until he found
Something that maybe would be much better,
Such a deafening sound struck a harsh blow
To her heart when he said it was over,
The music stopped and no more sound heard
When she took his final and fatal word.

And there alone with her two small children
Did she struggle, grieving and so distraught,
To join the other young naive women
Who had lived a life, a make-believe one.
Nothing warned her, was somewhere an omen?
Then she stood strong though in grief she was caught,
She bravely hid the pain within her breast
And carried on in life, doing her best.

Now alone in her quiet winter days,
The past has long been put to rest in peace,
Spiritual growth has given her ways
To know the beauty of love in all she sees.
Nature her blessed teacher and solace,
If love comes again, true that love will be,
For, in this life she has found her right place
And love will be blessed for eternity.
~~~

© 2017 Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Chief Editor at The Creative Exiles
I have always liked to write.It is important to me that writing comes from my heart and soul. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.
Phyllis Doyle Burns

Latest posts by Phyllis Doyle Burns (see all)

Phyllis Doyle Burns

I have always liked to write. It is important to me that writing comes from my heart and soul. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.

7 thoughts on “Woman Recollects On Life

• March 8, 2017 at 8:49 PM

Nicely expressed and in superlative verse to support equality and the lives of women, who for centuries have not yet reached complete equality, regardless of their roles in our culture and lives. Well done.

• March 9, 2017 at 11:37 PM

Something has been really nagging at me and I just realized what it is. I need to make a correction in my post so as not to be misunderstood and to acknowledge how unaware I am of some political issues. I originally ended my post with a note saying I wrote the poem in honor of National Woman’s Day USA. I thought Woman’s Day was to honor all women for all their roles in life, just as I think there should be a Men’s Day, Children’s Day, etc. I was not referring to the international women’s march events that occurred all over the world. I saw no purpose to that issue, thought it was totally unnecessary and accomplished nothing as far as I know, except disruption of daily life. I only wrote the poem to reflect on my own life and other women whose marriage fell apart and they found themselves as single mothers with no help (financial or otherwise) from their ex-husbands.

I do believe in equality in any of life, however, I believe that the roles of men and women have been sadly endangered with all the liberal nonsense and feminists who demand to have the right to be equal to men in all ways. Men and women are equal as human beings with the right to honor, respect, and to love and be loved – I believe in the Yin/Yang concept of harmony and balance but, that does not mean I think I have the right to be a football player on a men’s team, or disrupt the world in a senseless march.

I hope I have cleared up any misconceptions due to my ignorance of what Woman’s Day was all about.

• March 10, 2017 at 12:08 AM

I agree that together men and women create that perfect balance, and individually we each bring different things to the table. I also believe that there should be equality, when a women works in a paid position, the remuneration should be equal to a mans. I think the world marches are just people trying to get the issues looked at, because equality has by no means be reached. Although culture may change roles, I still believe that we should celebrate femininity and masculinity for what they are within society and the roles we personally choose to accept. You expressed yourself, and that fine Phyllis.

• March 10, 2017 at 12:18 AM

Thanks, Tony. Yes, equality in reference to same job same pay. I also agree an individual has the right to choose their roles. Thanks again.

• March 10, 2017 at 5:52 AM

I argue international womens day because it turned into a feminist march again. I believe in equality for women in general and ito set aside only one day to celebrate women is sad and pathetic in my opinion. It should be celebrated daily. But then again, we are driven but ugly politics so i do not know when this will happen. On to your poetry, absolutely beautiful Phyllis. The struggle as described here, so difficult a single parent, hardest job in the world, and then the success at the end really made this a homerun in my opinion. Great work Phyllis.~Paul

• March 10, 2017 at 12:49 PM

Thank you, Paul. I agree with you on march. I believe that every day should be a celebration of life: women, men, children. I appreciate your comment – thanks again.