Letter And Poem To My Grand Daughter

My Grand Daughter,

Even though you are just hours old and learning a new system called life on the outside. I feel a tug to write to you and share some of my thoughts. I know Grandmothers get all the good press and in your case your Grandma deserves it, but I want you know that you have brought great joy into my life. If you could have seen the smile on my face when your Dad told me that you were going to be – well you. I have thought about you many nights and days since I was told of your impending arrival. I need to tell you that you have a wonderful set of parents. I already know that they love you to the moon and back. I know your Dad and Mom will stress about you and worry about money, home, and if they are making the right decisions about being a parent. So have patience with them, they are new at this.

The good news Keegan is that it all works out in the wash, they are good people. You will love them as much as I do. I hope your Dad has learned a few lessons from me. Mostly I did it the wrong way, I seemed to have lost my perfect parenting book they issued me the day your Dad was born. Dad will have learned from my mistakes. But it never changed how I loved your Dad or your Uncle Matt and Aunt Risa.
With me, you will also have to have some patience, I am already hard of hearing so if I look like I didn’t hear you my sweet granddaughter, I probably didn’t. I also am a little bull headed and I am sure your Dad will agree with that. My one good thing that I have now is an older and wiser love. This is something I can share with you.

I have found peace in my life and have learned to explore my creativity and I can also share this with you. I love the outdoors and this beautiful state you were born in so prepared to be bored with tales of old of the mountains and of yesteryear. I want to take you fishing, and ghost town hunting, to teach you the art of photography as I see it. All in all baby girl you have already stolen my heart.
By the way Keegan I loved you even before I knew your name.
Grandpa Kurt

“Childhood Eyes”
Innocent and wonder of childhood eyes,
Through the eyes, seeing their soul is no surprise.

Eyes show everything, that’s the beauty of childhood,
Of all things amazing to be seen and understood.

Through child eyes, we teach them of good and bad,
Seeing our happiness and sometimes our – sad.

Whoever they become or will be is still deep within,
Yes the eyes, childhood eyes is where it begins.
By Kurt James

Kurt James © 2017

Kurt James

Kurt James was born and raised in the foothills of the Colorado Rocky Mountains. With family roots in western Kansas and having lived in South Dakota for 20 years Kurt naturally had become an old western and nature enthusiast. Over the years Kurt has become one of Colorado’s prominent nature photographer’s through his brand name of Midnight Wind Photography. His poetry has been featured in the Denver Post, PM Magazine and on 9NEWS in Denver, Colorado. Kurt is also a feature writer for HubPages and Creative Exiles with the article’s focused on Colorado history, ghost towns, outlaws, and poetry. Inspired at a young age by writers such as Jack London, Louis L’Amour and Max Brand have formed Kurt’s natural ability as a storyteller. Kurt has published 5 novels all based in and around the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Using the Midnight Wind Publishing brand Kurt has also released a poetry collection - Poetry and Thoughts of a Wandering Man - (Uniquely Colorado edition) and now this collection - Poetry and Reflections of a Wandering Man (Random Thoughts edition) all are available in print or download on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads and other fine bookstores. And a few shady bookstores as well. Kurt is working on his 6th Colorado adventure tale novel “Conner’s Saga”.
Kurt James

Latest posts by Kurt James (see all)

Kurt James

10 thoughts on “Letter And Poem To My Grand Daughter

• February 19, 2017 at 7:53 PM

Such a wonderful letter to you darling granddaughter and a very nicely penned poem. She is adorable. Congratulations to you, Kurt.

• February 20, 2017 at 12:48 AM

Thank you Phyllis, she is the most wonderful little girl..

• February 19, 2017 at 11:13 PM

You write with so much Love, Kurt… so much! My heart melted with joy. Your granddaughter is fortunate to have a loving grandfather. I am glad I read this loving letter. It reminded me of my own grandfather. I still have my grandfather’s letter. He wrote it in his last days to me. It’s really close to my heart and I still cherish it. Allow me to share a para with you –

“Surabhi, you are always in my loving thoughts. I want you to read this letter slowly but attentively. As you stand on the threshold of life’s voyage, I want to share with you some lessons that life has taught me. As a young boy growing up in Lahore, my family had very limited resources and fewer expectations. We lived a healthy and a peaceful lifestyle. I want you to make a conscious connection with love today. Radiate love from your true self. When you express your love to the world, you do not have to be afraid anymore. Embracing your true self disseminates a natural beauty that cannot be enervated or disregarded. When we feel positive emotions around us, acknowledge that it is ‘love’ that is flowing from your true self. You don’t necessarily have to express your love at that moment; you can simply feel it and admire it, right there in the present moment. Feel the love of rain; the jingling harp of water globules. Feel the love of the balmy sun on your face. Feel the love of a gentle embrace. Feel the love of a chortling child. Feel the love of hands blessing on your head. Feel and admire. What’s pivotal is that any positive feeling is an expression of your love outward to others. Remember that by commencing to, unlocking, activating, and expressing your love creates a conundrum that you are love itself. It does not have to be a romantic love, but a sustaining energy in every juncture of your life. There is a tremendous joy to see a caterpillar transforming into a butterfly. The similar case is with the small moments that eventually transform into an unconditional love.”

‘nough of talking here (smile). I came here with Love and I really enjoyed your letter as well as the cute poem. Lots of love to the little princess!

• February 20, 2017 at 12:53 AM

Wow – something I wrote brought forth such a wonderful response. Surabhi It is obvious to all that read what you wrote above that your grandfather thought the world of you. It is more obvious to me that you have taken his road and his advice about love. Of course my grand daughter and your response only brought smiles to me… thank you for your heart felt comment, you are the greatest.

• February 20, 2017 at 5:54 AM

Firstly congratulations on the birth of your granddaughter, Kurt. I am sure that when she is old enough she will greatly appreciate this tribute letter and poem. As a reader I can feel the admiration and love you feel for her.

• February 20, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Thank you John, I have another grand daughter due in April. I have always wanted grand kids….

• February 20, 2017 at 4:09 PM

Kurt – I hope you are creating a file to share with this child in the distant future. Your honesty and unadulterated outpouring of love cannot be taken granted in any way, shape, or form. We should all have the blessing of true love bestowed upon us, even before our names are known. It was a real honor to be part of your personal life, if only for the splinter you’ve chosen to share.

• February 20, 2017 at 5:53 PM

Wow, thank you RJ for you heartfelt comments.. Yes I do have a file for her and hopefully when she is old enough to really understand what it is all about that I am still in her life. I always try to write from the heart, actually it is the only way I know – good or bad.

• February 21, 2017 at 8:39 PM

Hey Kurt you should definitely save this for her. And with her beautiful eyes you teach her everything good that you can. Lovely piece Kurt.~Paul

• February 22, 2017 at 6:40 PM

Yes I will save it for her, and thank you Paul your nice comments..