More than Language

More Than Language

It’s more a cadence than a march

Your knees will bend your feet will arch

Your eyes will swell as anguish reigns

A silent crack, producing pain

You’ll toe the line of right and wrong

You’ll be the hero in the song

It’s never black and never white

It’s gray in spots and never trite.

It scrapes the sky in tinctures new,

A palette knife in opal blue

It makes the scars and bleeds out red

It mends the heart you once thought dead

Before you walk a poet’s shoes

Just read their lines and hear their news

Inside each word they leave their core

The smallest piece that they endure.

A measure of their mental state

How thoughts arise and then deflate

A dulcet look of fierce caress

A weary huff, in real distress

How laying there upon the floor

The pieces of their heart’s before

Before they took that trip inside

Where inner demons no more hide

Behind these words, they power play

And wildly they go astray

Though sometimes verses will be cruel

And sometimes they will shine like jewels

Each word you read a ladder lung

To find them where they have been stung

Just enter through the central nerve

Watch out for beats and angry curves

All hearts hold weight when made of gold

with fewer passions ever told

Now did you take upon yourself

To willingly increase your wealth

To read each line and understand

That not all stories go to plan

And not all plans, can reach their goal

I’m glad you read this in its whole.

There is no reason and or rhyme

Why someone would just take the time

To read a story to its heart

Then in the middle to depart

The meat and bones should reel you in

The sensual or carnal sins

The brash advance of right or wrong,

A breadcrumb trail to keep along

With each progress, we step on back

How much until that soul’s ransacked

You start to question every thought

But know the end is what you sought.

These poems start, a lumpy throat

A love sickness, you should emote

A word sought by convergent souls

profoundly carved out on their bones.

Ineffable the meaning of,

The glue that binds the rhymes above

The words are used for rendering

With opened wounds for lecturing

I write because my thoughts are frayed

Remembering those peaceful days

How poetry’s a butterfly

With outstretched wings, read slow or spry

In languages of painted breath

Unspoken words kept until death

And like a mage by happenstance

We conjure up such eloquence.

Paul Neglia

Proud father of 3. Part time writer of poetry and short stories. I want to paint the world in but a few words.
Paul Neglia

Latest posts by Paul Neglia (see all)

Paul Neglia

23 thoughts on “More than Language

• January 13, 2017 at 2:46 PM

Well done, Paul. I love this poem. Poets are complex beings, versatile, creative, deep thinking. Very nicely penned.

• January 14, 2017 at 8:44 AM

Yes we are. All of us with differing opinions and ideas, and different ways to express them. Thank you so much for your kind words Phyllis. ~Paul

• January 13, 2017 at 4:50 PM

All so true Paul, we bleed upon the page, open and vulnerable. I always say to people, if you want to know who I am, ready my poetry. Beautifully penned and expressed my friend.

• January 14, 2017 at 8:41 AM

I agree. You will find layer upon layer of my soul laid out on the paper. My liquid voice filling in the words. And we are all so different in our approach that is what makes each one of us special and talented. Thank you again my friend for your kind words.~Paul

• January 13, 2017 at 8:19 PM

A real treat to read – the words danced a lively tune while spinning a tale most worthy.

• January 14, 2017 at 8:38 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words Ralph.

• January 14, 2017 at 8:39 AM

Wonderfully written poetry, Paul, expertly explaining what a poet puts into there work. It is a travesty to imagine readers leaving a poem you have written half way through when you have put so much of yourself into it. I love the smooth flow of this one.

• January 14, 2017 at 8:49 AM

John thank you so much for your kind words. I had someone tell me on a different site that if they scrolled down and the poem was more than 20 lines he wouldnt even try to read it. Im so glad for this site where people enjoy the english language in all lengths and forms. Thank you again~Paul

• January 14, 2017 at 5:44 PM

I have written some poems with over 80 lines, and often use poetry instead of prose to tell a story as I enjoy the genre much more.

• January 14, 2017 at 6:16 PM

Me too.

• January 14, 2017 at 5:47 PM

Very captivating dear Paul..The words of poets are torn from their hearts..It is their joys, sorrows and lessons learnt from life that flow as beautiful words on paper…Many don’t even consider all these while criticising their effort..I enjoyed reading your great write my friend ..Thank you so much for sharing..

• January 14, 2017 at 6:21 PM

Thank you so much for your continued support dear Anjana. You know someone on WN said to me they wouldnt even entertain reading my work if it was what they deemed too long. Im so glad that people here do not see it that way. I owe my gratitude to you for inviting me over to this site. Thank you.~Paul

• January 15, 2017 at 3:21 PM

Well, I am glad you didn’t listen to such comments..I am sure many of us absolutely love your unique and beautiful style of writing..And I couldn’t be happier if you are enjoying this site..Do take care and have a wonderful day!

• January 14, 2017 at 11:00 PM

Nicely penned. Each poem has a beat and emotion of its own. Love this – How poetry’s a butterfly With outstretched wings, read slow or spry

• January 17, 2017 at 7:41 AM

Thank you so Rasma, yes poems are like snowflakes none the same and mostly magical in essence. ~Paul

• January 16, 2017 at 9:57 AM

My poems and stories that I write all come from my heart – my emotions are for all to see – I guess that is what it is all about. Loved this Paul.

• January 17, 2017 at 7:59 AM

Absolutely Kurt. Like Tony commented, You want to know what I’m feeling read my poetry. Thank you so much.~Paul

• January 26, 2017 at 5:11 AM

The heart of poets and poetry, the mind wails while the heart speaks; born of a nervousness revealed in the thoughts and spoken so fully while being only partially revealed. Your words and phrases propel those thoughts into the world for all to see and conjure on. Excellent, Sir Paul!

• January 26, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Why thank you dear Donald. I am glad that you found favor in this lengthy piece. Much appreciation again for following me over here and commenting. ~Paul

• April 5, 2017 at 7:43 AM

Paul,
    My dear fine friend, the talented poet, I can go with more than one page in reviewing to Your gorgeous poem here, but You did better than what I might write, expressing the meaning of the language of hearts, the language of minds and souls, the language of emotions of feelings… the, yes, free language, more than language, that must have no rules… no limits… no boundaries… Just like true love, John once asked me about a certain poem and what was the motivated of my words, I told him, I write what I feel… how our feelings should be limited with only words? aren’t they most precious to us? it shouldn’t be limited, and it’s not our words what really matter, but more of the feelings You convey through them… how powerful they dwell inside the reader, I think You understand me here, and what I mean and trying to say.
    I might find it difficult sometimes for me to read long or tough words, but I have a good reason, those who criticize You, what are their reasons??? can they tell good ones? beside, You have such a good capturing start in most of Your poems, this what takes someone to go down with Your words, I also heard about my language when I first joined WN, and I used to write poems to “Soul Husband” someone kept saying how they don’t understand this, and refer it to our different languages, well excuse me if this beyond Your comprehension, but if You don’t like it, then simply stop reading me! Though goes for my free verse style, I’m just so glad that You found here those who appreciate Your poetry, appreciate the time and efforts You take to paint us one portray, did “they” thought of this?
    Sorry I talked a lot, but at last, hats off to You dear Bard, to Your poetic spirit and special pen.

• April 5, 2017 at 8:48 AM

My dear friend. I completely what you are saying. I for one love reading your poetry and i find myself engulfed in your language, for those who say they dont understand, are not reading the words properly. You have a subtle yet carnal essence in your verse that i have yet to master. I found some at WN being abrasive and negative without actually understanding the language. I think that was one reason for my switch. I was hoping you and Donald would join us here, but i am happy enough with you being able to stop in and comment. I know you have a good core group there so it is ok. If you want feel the need to you can message me there. Thank you so much for your comments. I am glad you appreciated this offering.

• April 5, 2017 at 9:11 AM

Oh, I appreciate it SO much dear Paul, sorry I talked more about me than Your most wonderful words and my sincere appreciation, Thank You!!

• July 21, 2017 at 8:17 AM

I agree with every word so eloquently complimented to you on this brilliant work of rhyme. Poetry is like a pied piper playing his flute, he/she may draw in many to listen to and or read what tune they play, however many will always shy away, afraid to show interest. You sir have masterfully left bread crumbs for us all to pick up along our journey of fulfillment by reading every word you pen here. For those who leave half way in my opinion are not fully focused nor true artist who enjoys another’s work. I am triggered here with so your choice of interesting and dancing verses. This is indeed a brilliant flow of your masterful talent sir. Kudos