GENEROSITY – An Acrostic Poem

Wealth
Generosity not Greed

GENEROSITY

Give away what you can spare,

Everyone must learn to share.

Never hoard what you don’t need,

Eat enough but don’t exceed.

Reach out your hand to those worse off,

Offer them a bed that’s soft.

Save the wildlife and the trees,

Incite protests to protect the bees.

Try not to use more than you need,

You must avoid the lure of greed.

John Hansen © 2016

John Hansen

After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com.Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction.

Latest posts by John Hansen (see all)

John Hansen

Long time poet but not in the traditional technical sense. I enjoy rhyme but like to experiment and dabble in many different forms and maybe even make up some of my own. There is always a message or lesson I want to promote through my writing, for that reason, my poetry generally shies away from the abstract and obscure. After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com. Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction. I have also been fortunate to have two poems chosen to be made into songs and recorded. The first "On the Road to Kingdom Come" by Al Wordlaw, and the second, "If I Could Write a Love Poem" by award-winning British singer Tally Koren. I am also finding my services increasingly in demand as a freelance writer and I have ghost-written the text for a number of children's books and educational tutorials. It has taken me many years of searching and restlessness to realise that my life's passion is to write. It saddens me that I wasted so many years not devoting to that, but thinking positively, the experiences gained over those years is now wonderful material for my stories and poems. I want to try to bring a new focus on poetry and try to make it appealing to a new generation of young people and those who thought they never liked or understood it before.

14 thoughts on “GENEROSITY – An Acrostic Poem

• December 4, 2016 at 5:48 AM

Greed! What the world would be with out it? One can only hope. Awesome post John.

• December 4, 2016 at 6:20 AM

Yes, Kurt if we could just eradicate “greed”.. What a wonderful world it would be. Thanks for reading and your kind comment.

• December 4, 2016 at 7:42 AM

John, this is fantastic with a strong message. The rhyme scheme really enhances each stanza. Great work. I love acrostic poems, but I don’t remember ever writing one. This is one of the best I have read.

• December 4, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Thank you for such a generous comment, Phyllis. Glad you found the message strong.

• December 4, 2016 at 2:08 PM

How true John..if we all could adhere to these words, the world would be a much better place..loved this and thank you so much for sharing..

• December 4, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Thank you, Anjana. If everyone could strive to do this it certainly would do no harm.

• December 4, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Greed, the bane of our existence and the cause of much of our earthly woes. A statement of truth and what we should all aspire to, John. Nicely expressed my friend.

• December 4, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Thanks, Tony. Oh, what I would give for a world without greed.

• July 11, 2017 at 2:35 AM

Oh great job john,I put that in my school homework and my teacher gave me an A+

• July 11, 2017 at 2:54 AM

I hadn’t considered that someone may use this in their homework, but glad it got you an A+, Jeslyn.

• July 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM

I used it in my school hoemwork and my teacher gave an A too. I hope you don’t mind that i used it?

• July 15, 2017 at 4:03 PM

Hi Anonymous. I guess if anything is published on the Internet it is open for use in things like homework. Glad you also got an A.

• July 15, 2017 at 8:27 AM

And how healthy our planet would be if we:
    -stop slaughtering 70 billion animals per year for food in the most inhumane way
    -stop emptying our rain forests to provide more land for cattle
    -stop polluting the air with methane gases and other pollutants
    -fight the Drug companies who produce 80% of all antibiotics to provide them to
    the meat industry
    -Stop providing the meat industry with our unsustainable drinking water, grain and seeds
    to the meat industry, while billions are starving in our world.

Sorry for the rant John, but yes I am not a meat, dairy, egg or oil eater. These products are killing the world with heart attacks, cancer, diabetes and all kinds of ailments, yet that’s what surgeons want, they get paid big bucks to perform these operations which temporarily alter ultimate death. Also Pharmacare provide doctors with all the narcotics they can handle to feed to their patients. Doctors don’t teach preventive nutritional, whole food, plant based medicine, NO sir they just prescribe medications for temporary relief. They are not offering up GENEROSITY at all. GREED is the order of the day in most countries, obesity reigns, so doctors and hospitals will prosper. KEEP feeding them MEAT, DAIRY and Oils and the world stay SICK. A great Acrostic Poem, so true my friend.

• July 15, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Those things certainly would help the world,Vincent. I agree with most of it but not all, as I have my own poultry and eggs is one of the main parts of my diet. I can certainly see your point about the meat and pharmaceutical industries however.
    Writers are allowed to rant, if not we wouldn’t have been born with quills instead of fingers haha.
    Anyway, glad you liked this poem. Cheers.