I Implore All Gods

I Implore All Gods
I Implore All Gods….who’s responsibility?

I implore all gods,
know, unknown and transient,
to take control of this lowly life,
for in that I care not to take responsibility,
and can live free of culpability,
for all the twisted shit I’ve done.

Now that’s religion in full flight,
God will take care of me,
give me salvation for a mere genuflect,
a wafer on the tongue, a promise I have not kept,
and three ‘Hail Marys’ just to be sure.

Oh that ignorant bliss of freedom,
forgiveness guaranteed,
and as long as I write a list of all my sins,
the burden not carried by me,
just a masochistic god who enjoys our human pain.

How can a god exonerate we mortals
as long as we believe,
it seems not just we have egos,
with such a demand from He,
and what purpose then do we have here?

Run amuck, indulge and live in sin,
a kind word and it’s never been,
seems a little pointless in learning,
seems we never get to know discerning,
being forgiven for our deliberate acts of attrition.

Purpose, intention,
here on earth to learn
and in love and knowledge ascension,
not by God’s grace but our own,
our striving, our open hearts
and the embrace of love defines our earthly life.

Responsibility is ours alone,
otherwise what good is the lesson,
as God is not here to save us,
just hopes for resurrection,
and a destiny worth having.

Tony DeLorger © 2016

Tony De Lorger

Full time author, freelance writer, poet and blogger since 1999. Eighteen published works, past winner of 'Poet of the Year' on HubPages, 'Poem of the Year' on The Creative Exiles, writer for Allpoetry.com, Google+, tonydwtf.blogspot.com.au and book sales on website thoughtsforabeautifulmind.weebly.com, Amazon and digitalprintaustralia.com.au/bookstore

Latest posts by Tony De Lorger (see all)

Tony De Lorger

8 thoughts on “I Implore All Gods

• November 27, 2016 at 8:06 PM

I believe God gave us the wisdom and ability to save ourselves and ever grow in spirituality and physical life. Very wise words, Tony.

Third stanza last line: “God who knows”?

• November 27, 2016 at 9:08 PM

The inference was ‘enjoys’ as if God has an ego or human persona, which many people think. And god in lower case, not necessarily The one God. Its a bit sharp, but I believe many people expect God to take responsibility for their lives. Thanks Phyllis. I’m on another computer out of home.

• November 27, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Oh, I get that, Tony, thank you. I was not very clear on the words: is it supposed to be “god you enjoys’ or “god who enjoys”? Sorry for the confusion.

• November 27, 2016 at 11:54 PM

Good one, Tony. Yes, we mortals have to take full responsibility for our lives and how we live them It is a ‘cop out” to think you can get away doing all sorts of nasty things, only to suddenly say “I repent!” and expect forgiveness and acceptance by God (in whatever form) into his Kingdom as though you had never sinned. “You commit the crime, you do the time!”

• November 28, 2016 at 1:41 AM

Agreed John, yet so many religious people live like this; deluded enough to think no matter what arse holes they are, their ticket to heaven is guaranteed. A little harsh, but truth delivered without gift wrapping. Cheers

• November 28, 2016 at 2:32 AM

I think God can quite easily spot a charlatan and arse holes quite adeptly. He knows our hearts. I agree 100 % that each person has to take responsibility for his actions. Sometimes though pride, ego, and humanity deprive us of perspective and willingness to do what’s right. No one is ever going to be perfect, no matter how responsible they are. Not one person on this planet has ever not been a hypocrite at one point or another. That’s why I need God. As long as my heart seeks Him, I will have my eyes open to wrongs and seek to Grow in the path of righteousness, As a human on earth Iwill never fully arrive this side of heaven. All He asks of me is to be moving forward by growing in maturity of faith and dependence on Him. He is also gracious, forgiving, to the truly repentant heart.

• November 28, 2016 at 4:29 PM

Glad you appreciated the thoughts Lori and understood that many people use God as a an excuse not to take responsibility. Take care.