Hauntingly Beautiful Songs of the Whale

Hauntingly beautiful …

hauntingly beautiful
Humpback Whale

The sea was calm, the moon glowing bright,
A luminous globe in midnight sky.
From deep in the sea on this quiet night
Came a mournful sound, almost a cry.

What can this sound be, maybe a dream
That quickly woke me from my slumber.
So far away, yet close it did seem,
This one sound now increased in number.

Alone on the deck, aroused from sleep,
Now at the rail, looking o’er the sea.
The sounds came from whales of the deep,
Hauntingly beautiful music to me.

Were they calling to me or each other?
I listened, admiring on their behalf.
One lonesome sound may be a mother
Calling out to her wayward calf.

Mesmerized I drifted between
Wakeful and a short calming sleep.
And hoping a whale could be seen.
But, alas they were far too deep.

Then came the mournful sound again,
Long and low, was a bull grieving
For the loss of his mate sadly slain?
Then all was quiet, were they leaving?

Staring at the sea of deepest black
I felt alone, sadly missing the songs.
When a huge and mighty humpback
Soared up high from where he longs,

To be with his life long only mate.
For moments it seemed he hung there,
Like a sad monument and lonely mate
Anger and sorrow filled the air.

Then he splashed down hard on his back,
Nearly drowning me in his sorrow.
No water upon me did I lack.
Yet I prayed he’d find her tomorrow.

Ancient melodic sounds from the deep
Heard by grandfathers long before me,
Lulled me back to my belated sleep,
And I knew no whaler I’d ever be.
~ ~ ~

© 2016 Phyllis Doyle Burns

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Chief Editor at The Creative Exiles
I have always liked to write.It is important to me that writing comes from my heart and soul. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.
Phyllis Doyle Burns

Latest posts by Phyllis Doyle Burns (see all)

Phyllis Doyle Burns

I have always liked to write. It is important to me that writing comes from my heart and soul. When writing poetry, if I do not feel a spiritual connection to what I am writing on, I will discard it and go on to something I can connect with on a spiritual level. I live in the moment, I write from the past or beyond the veil. When writing fiction I go with whatever inspires me at the moment - it could be funny, sorrowful, romantic or sometimes done with the use of colloquial language from mountain folk or other cultural regions. Thank you for visiting.

17 thoughts on “Hauntingly Beautiful Songs of the Whale

• September 8, 2016 at 5:00 AM

In believe in the language of nature , we are all so far from listening to it no matter how much man learns of that language , the whales , the dolphins or the blue jays . It makes so little matter what part of nature that cry’s out , man just fails to tune in .

The poem though is awesome ! , and You are such a good “listener ” Phyllis.

• September 8, 2016 at 6:54 AM

I believe that, too, Ed. There is so much in Nature that humans have forgotten how to listen to. Thank you so much for reading and for you very nice comment, Ed.

• September 8, 2016 at 5:56 AM

Beautiful Phyllis, and I so believe that all animal life is far more evolved that we arrogant humans believe. Especially whales and dolphins are such majestic creatures and the call of the whales as expressive an any poem. Nicely penned and heart-warming work. I loved it.

• September 8, 2016 at 7:00 AM

Thank you, Tony. So glad you love it. Research has shown that whales try to communicate with us by making sounds like our words. They mimic us. Yes, they are majestic creatures and far more intelligent than most humans realize. Thanks again, Tony.

• September 8, 2016 at 7:51 PM

A wonderful poem, Phyllis. I cannot remember ever reading a poem about whales before, dolphins yes. This was somehow sad, but beautiful. Good work.

• September 8, 2016 at 11:35 PM

Thank you, John. I was browsing for a hub and as usual kept getting side-tracked. When I came across that photo of a humpback breaching I just had to write a poem. The humpback will throw two-thirds of body up out of the water then flip to land on its back. I wanted to get that in the poem. Massive creatures these guys are. I have a tape of whale sounds and love it. It really is hauntingly beautiful to listen to. In Washington, PNW, we used to go out to south Whidbey Island and watch the Orca pods come in. It was so fascinating. Anyway, there’s my poem and I am happy you like it. Thanks again.

• September 8, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Ancient melodic sounds indeed! If only man could sing the song of Nature along with them. Beautiful and evocative, Phyllis!

• September 8, 2016 at 11:40 PM

Thank you, Shalini. I love watching whales and miss being able to do that. Yes, if only man was more in touch with Nature and songs of the whale what a difference it would make. Thanks for reading and commenting.

• September 8, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Beautifully expressed, I can hear the sound of the whales through your words. Great write.

• September 9, 2016 at 12:52 AM

Hi Nithya, good to hear from you. Thank you so much for reading and that very nice comment. I appreciate it.

• September 9, 2016 at 12:43 AM

Whales are so fascinating. I love how you brought out the mystery of their communication.

• September 9, 2016 at 12:57 AM

Thanks, Lori. Whales have a marvelous way of communicating with each other. Some of them, like the humpback, emit sonic sounds that can be heard miles away under water. Thanks again, Lori – so glad you like the poem.

• September 9, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Such amazing, mystical creatures, you captured their spirit so well here Phyllis. I can only begin to imagine what knowledge they have of the universe, and the ocean unknown. This was poignant and beautiful. I enjoyed it.

Best,
    Mel

• September 9, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Thank you, Mel, for reading and for your lovely comment. It would be amazing to tap into the genetic memories of whales. I am sure they know far more than we do of the Universe. Thanks again, Mel. Take care.

• September 10, 2016 at 9:27 AM

This is beautiful Phyllis and I love the sound of whales too, what other sea animal makes such a sound? Makes you wish someone could solve the mystery of their language to tell us what they so want us to know! I do believe one day we will know.

• September 10, 2016 at 4:57 PM

Thank you, Jackie. It would be wonderful to know what the whales want us to know. Scientists have discovered that some whales do mimic human words as if they are really trying to communicate with us. So glad you enjoyed this poem.