Imaginary Friend of Mine

Imaginary friend of mine
Imaginary friend of mine

Imaginary friend of mine,

To you I write this ode.

Tell me where you lived before,

Was this house your abode?

∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅

Imaginary friend of mine,

You are my closest pal,

But everytime I mention you

I am treated as unwell.

∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅

Imaginary friend of mine,

What adventures we have shared.

Your presence in my room at night

Stops me being scared.

∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅

My parents tell me you’re not real,

A figment of a troubled mind,

They think that if we leave this house

You will be left behind.

∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅ ∅

Forty years have come and gone

Since we played within those walls,

But David you’re still my best friend

And appear when ever I call.

David Anderson

For as long as I can remember during my childhood I had a friend, a best friend. His name was David Anderson. David would visit me almost everyday and we would play in my room. I was an only child and had no other relatives close to my own age.

My parents said David was just an imaginary friend that I had made up because I was lonely. At one time they took me to a doctor (psychologist) to discuss it. He told them not to worry, that it was quite common, especially with only children.

When I was 11 years old we found out the original owners of our house were named Anderson. They had a baby boy who died soon after birth.

That baby’s name was David!

John Hansen © 2016

John Hansen

After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com.Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction.

Latest posts by John Hansen (see all)

John Hansen

Long time poet but not in the traditional technical sense. I enjoy rhyme but like to experiment and dabble in many different forms and maybe even make up some of my own. There is always a message or lesson I want to promote through my writing, for that reason, my poetry generally shies away from the abstract and obscure. After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com. Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction. I have also been fortunate to have two poems chosen to be made into songs and recorded. The first "On the Road to Kingdom Come" by Al Wordlaw, and the second, "If I Could Write a Love Poem" by award-winning British singer Tally Koren. I am also finding my services increasingly in demand as a freelance writer and I have ghost-written the text for a number of children's books and educational tutorials. It has taken me many years of searching and restlessness to realise that my life's passion is to write. It saddens me that I wasted so many years not devoting to that, but thinking positively, the experiences gained over those years is now wonderful material for my stories and poems. I want to try to bring a new focus on poetry and try to make it appealing to a new generation of young people and those who thought they never liked or understood it before.

17 thoughts on “Imaginary Friend of Mine

• August 13, 2016 at 11:41 AM

This is a great poem, John. And the story of who David was is so heartwarming, because David lived on in spirit and within the heart of an only child who needed a friend. I so enjoyed this poem and story. Thank you.

• August 13, 2016 at 3:46 PM

So glad you enjoyed this one, Phyllis. It felt special when I was writing it.

• August 13, 2016 at 12:19 PM

I loved this poem and the short story to follow . Thankyou so much for another true gem.

• August 13, 2016 at 6:08 PM

When my oldest boys were barely walking I had rented a log cabin to live in a very small town of Nisland, South Dakota. The year that my family lived there many strange things happened, but nothing scary. Doors would open and close, strange noises in the night, a voice from a darken hallway, that type of stuff. My wife and I named our ghost “Happy”. A strange name for a ghost wouldn’t you say? Years later after moving out of the house and simply by chance my wife and I met a relative of the man who had built that house. The previous owner and lived a full life and had died there. This relative who’s name was Keith Frankie told us the previous owner and house builder was named “Happy Hunt” ……. Loved your tale of your friend David….. I am glad you got to share some time with him, sounds like both of you needed each other.

• August 13, 2016 at 5:44 PM

When my oldest boys were still just barely walking, I had rented an older log cabin for my family and I in Nisland, South Dakota. We had a few strange things happen in that house, nothing scary just doors opening, sounds in the middle of the night, etc. my wife and I made up a name for our suspected ghost and his name was Happy. A strange name for a ghost wouldn’t you say? Years later after moving out of the house we ran into a relative of the person who had built that log cabin, and we spoke at length about our old home. As it turned out the man who built that home was named Happy Hunt…… I kid you not…. Loved your imaginary friend tale. I hope David found another playmate.

• August 13, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Thank you for sharing that story, Kurt. I feel that is much more than coincidence that you named the ghost “Happy” and the previous owner builder was “Happy Hunt”. Eerie things d happen. Glad you enjoyed this tale.

• August 13, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Great work John, and often children see things that adults, in there experience of the physical, cannot. I wonderful poem resolved by a fact. Great work. I was an only child too, but luckily for me our street was absolutely filled with children. I had six on both sides of my house. Take care.

• August 13, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Childhood memories are great food for the writer, aren’t they Tony? I’m sure you could share a lot of childhood stories. Cheers for reading this.

• August 13, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Such a cool story John, especially finding out that the name and history coincided with fact, to back you up, and make others really wonder. A child’s mind is amazingly open. Such a good share. Thank you.

Best,
    Mel

• August 13, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Thank you, Mel. When you are stuck for something to write just delve into the childhood memories and dreams…works for me. Glad you enjoyed this.

• August 16, 2016 at 12:06 AM

John you just sent shivers up and down my spine. Your poetry was delightful since I too was an only child and my imagination went way beyond the usual limits. You know I wouldn’t at all be surprised if David really was there and only you as a child could see him and interact with him. I know because I have a sixth sense and have heard and seen enough to be convinced. Keep the precious memories for David may remember you up above still fondly.

• August 16, 2016 at 1:49 AM

Thanks for the great commen, Rasma. There are so many things happening in the world that we can’t logically explain. This is an example. I feel David was real and may be still around somewhere.

• September 5, 2016 at 7:53 PM

What a great story John.
    You know I have never believed in ghosts and kind of too bad since I had a lonely childhood even with four younger brothers so a friend of any kind would have been nice. A strange thing did happen though once when I was saying I had no fear living in a house where a man died. As my husband and I were discussing this sitting on the sofa, not more than a foot in front of us the coffee table lifted up off the floor and went back down just as softly. So I have to halfheartedly say that today!

• September 6, 2016 at 5:36 AM

Glad you enjoyed this, Jackie. I can’t dismiss the possibility of spirits or ghosts as I have seen and heard about many unexplained phenomena over the years. Your rising coffee table is one example.

• September 8, 2016 at 10:58 PM

That poem was incredible and the explanation even more so! Is it the very creative people who imagine more and thus break through the borders of time to see the truth beyond? Fascinating!

• September 8, 2016 at 11:08 PM

Thank you for the kind comment, Shalini. It is quite possible that creative people such as writers and artists have the imagination to tap into another spiritual dimension or something like that.