Contemplating Life (and the benefit of writing online)

Contemplating Life
Contemplating Life

Beneath this calm exterior

There lies a troubled soul.

Why is life so full of hurt

When health and love the goal?

∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝

Money, money, more more more,

You need it to get by.

But do you ever have enough,

Or is it poor you cry?

∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝

God, I pray, just give me health

So my life can be full.

Illness and disease be gone,

You are a bitter pill.

∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝

Possessions, they just come and go,

What’s that all about?

Why do some just hoard so much

While others go without?

∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝

To be loved and give it back

Makes everything so sweet.

Though if I feel your heart is gone

My life is not complete.

∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝

The evening news depresses me,

Love of Writing
A brighter world I see

No news is ever good.

Death, destruction, politics

Seems to set the mood.

∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝

Why do such thoughts invade my mind,

Tormenting me with grief?

Why can’t the world be what I want,

Promoting my beliefs?

∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝ ∝

I take my pen and write it down,

My feelings and my dreams.

Immediately my spirits lift,

A brighter world I see.

John Hansen © 2016

My Thoughts

Do you ever just sit back and contemplate life and the purpose of it all? I do, and it is often more depressing than I’d like. A good therapy is to write it down and things seem better. Online publishing also lets you share your thoughts, dreams and ideas with the world.

John Hansen

After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com.Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction.

John Hansen

Longtime poet but not in the traditional technical sense. I enjoy rhyme but like to experiment and dabble in many different forms and maybe even make up some of my own. There is always a message or lesson I want to promote through my writing, for that reason, my poetry generally shies away from the abstract and obscure. After a lot of procrastinating I have finally self-published my first eBooks of poetry "I Laughed a Smile" and "On the Wings of Eagles" at Lulu.com. Now I find myself branching out and experimenting with short fiction. I have also been fortunate to have two poems chosen to be made into songs and recorded. The first "On the Road to Kingdom Come" by Al Wordlaw, and the second, "If I Could Write a Love Poem" by award-winning Israeli/British singer Tally Koren. I am also finding my services increasingly in demand as a freelance writer and I have ghost-written the text for a number of children's books and educational tutorials. It has taken me many years of searching and restlessness to realise that my life's passion is to write. It saddens me that I wasted so many years not devoting to that, but thinking positively, the experiences gained over those years is now wonderful material for my stories and poems. I want to try to bring a new focus on poetry and try to make it appealing to a new generation of young people and those who thought they never liked or understood it before.

11 thoughts on “Contemplating Life (and the benefit of writing online)

• August 11, 2016 at 9:08 AM

I really appreciate your expression here, John. I couldn’t agree more with the idea that true fufillment comes from loving and caring for each other, over all material gain–seems the obvious answer to so many of the world’s plights.

Expressing those thoughts is the very best way to heal ourselves, and hopefully remind others who feel lost in all of the muck. A thoughtful piece, I enjoyed it.

Best,
    Mel

• August 11, 2016 at 9:58 AM

I agree with you, John, that writing can be so beneficial, even healing, when life throws unwanted things at us. Very well written poem.

A troubled soul needs love and understanding. It is best to not bury the troubles within, but let them come out and embrace them, face them and learn from them, for they are part of our spiritual growth. To force calmness when troubled can be destructive to the soul. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

• August 11, 2016 at 4:03 PM

Glad you enjoyed and agreed with my thoughts here, Mel. Writing our feelings down on paper is one of the best ways I find to ease my troubles and woes. Thank you.

• August 11, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Thank you, Phyllis. I appreciate your kind and thoughtful words. This was actually written some time ago but I have updated it and made a few improvements to the rhyme scheme etc.

• August 11, 2016 at 6:01 PM

As the old saying goes, “you can’t take it with you” are just as true as your words above. I agree with you 100 percent John. Awesome piece.

• August 11, 2016 at 6:45 PM

No, Kurt.
    You can’t take it with you, though some wish they could. Thanks for reading and commenting.

• August 11, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Beautifully said John, of a world gone mad and we so opposite in view. We cannot change the world alone, but we can live by our own ideals and the more that do, the more influence that will have in the future. I too cannot believe what goes on in the world, but as you say we can only write and share our positive ideals and hope one day the tide will turn. Great work my friend.

• August 12, 2016 at 9:34 AM

You said it all so well, Tony. I know we are on the same wavelength in regard to the state of the world and how we feel about it. Yes, as writers it is our responsibility to share our ideas of how we feel things could be better. Thanks for reading and commenting.

• July 26, 2017 at 7:39 AM

I’m with Tony on his thinking here John. As for health and disease, I’ve found that since I changed my eating life-style, ailments I’ve had have disappeared. Never have been on medication and I made a pledge to myself not to allow my quality of life be affected by what I eat. The old saying, health is what you make of it, the fat we eat is the fat we wear. One needs to stay healthy in order to keep abreast of all the calamities that invade us daily. The media sees to it that us humans get often unfiltered information to stress us out daily. Since discovering Dr. Colin Campbell’s multi million dollar book, “The China Solution” as well Dr. McDougall’s ” The Starch Solution” my health has soared, my fat weight shedding and I wake up every morning a new me. My writing with a clearer mind is another blessing I’ve received with these amazing changes. I call them miracles. So keep up the chin and press on my friend, their are solutions out there waiting to be discovered, like golden nuggets I’ve found in keeping my body free of saturated fats. Peace my friend.

• July 26, 2017 at 8:43 AM

Thank you for checking out a couple of my older posts, Vincent. You give a good testimony for a healthy diet and lifestyle. My wife and I see a herbal practitioner and are following a much healthier regime than we used to. Apple cider vinegar is a regular part of the diet and used for many other things as well, and lemon juice, Himilayan pink salt, turmeric, quinoa etc…less grains, more seeds, nuts etc. though we can still eat lean meat of all kinds.

• July 26, 2017 at 11:23 AM

It appears like the two of you have also a healthy lifestyle. Apple cider and lemon juice, turmeric powder,Himalayan pink salt, I tend to use Irish sea salt, but both are great. Ah quinoa the ancient grain of the Aztec warriors, it gave them the strength they needed in battles. My eating is now totally plant based, whole foods and fruits with nuts and seeds thrown in moderation. Nuts have much oil, so I’m careful with their consumption, avocado as well. But I love them all, they are very healthy. Stay healthy my friend and be kind to the animals and our planet always. Like you have said, we are trying our best to leave a sustainable foot print not only for our world, but for our children, grandchildren and eventually their children too. Peace and blessings I send to you this day.